Recommendations and experrience with 22 lr small double action revolvers and semiauto pistols

leroy

Dear Brothers n Sisters...

I've been thinkin about another 22 lr revolver or small semiauto pistol... We have a pile of bigger ones (...Dan wesson, ruger single 6, ruger mk2...); and i would like to have a smaller revolver or pistol... The little ruger lcr's come to mind as well as the usual host of small semiautos... This would be a revolver to stick in your front or hip pocket.... Let me know what y'all like and give me a bit of information as to reliability, handling, ergonomics, yada,ydada... Ya get the picture...

Thanks in advance....

22 lr leroy...

Beretta Model 21A .22lr - I had one of these for years and found it to be a fun little plinker.  Single or double action, and the tip up barrel makes these easy to change from one in the chamber to empty chamber with out racking the slide.  I'm going to get another one of these someday as the one I had I gifted to a nephew when he graduated from college.

th?id=OIP.Mcbdf15d0f7f0658491c8ed78f5845

• Like 2

I too have been eyeing a LCR in 22 over the last couple of years. I have seen two priced for $350 used; I should have bought one. The trigger is stiff but it has to be. If you don't mind a single action the NAA revolvers are fine little pieces. If money is not a concern you can't beat a S&W 317.

• Like 1

Beretta 71. They are about $250, with pinned fake supressor. These are supposedly Mossad guns and recently imported. The fake pinned supressor can be removed to reveal threaded barrel. Mags aren't cheap or plentiful. Gun is really cool, old berettas are quality pieces.

Ive had 21a's. They usually work best with hi power 22lr, neat gun, but kind of a novelty. 

Trigger of of the LCR 22 is heavy to fire rimfire. 

The SR 22 works well, reasonably accurate and priced, safety goes wrong way for 1911 folks.

Edited by Jct1911
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Patton said:

I too have been eyeing a LCR in 22 over the last couple of years. I have seen two priced for $350 used; I should have bought one. The trigger is stiff but it has to be. If you don't mind a single action the NAA revolvers are fine little pieces. If money is not a concern you can't beat a S&W 317.

Found my wife a Smith 417 a few years ago. She loves it. She has wrist and tendon issues, and that is about all she can hold and shoot.

I got really luck with this one. It was virtually new, bought from a small shop I dealt with nearby. An older gentleman had bought it and attached a Crimson Trace grip on it. He didn't like it for some reason and brought it back to trade or sell.

I just happened to be there immediately afterwards and snatched it up. Spent about 20 minutes adjusting the laser and it's been perfect.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

I'm a big fan of the Bersa Thunder 22.  Not exactly a drop in the pocket and forget about it gun but it's great fun.

It's my po' man's James Bond gun.  A bit finicky on ammo but eats Remington Golden Bullets like candy....I mean 100% reliability.  Weird.

• Like 1

I really like my sp101 in .22lr it would be a bit heavy and large for a pocket gun though. might be that a good smith could chop the barrel down to the length of the ejection rod shroud and reattach the front sight, but you'd have to buy the ruger at a real steal to make that make more sense than the lcr option, unless the D/A trigger on the later was an absolute deal breaker.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, TrickyNicky said:

I really like my sp101 in .22lr it would be a bit heavy and large for a pocket gun though. might be that a good smith could chop the barrel down to the length of the ejection rod shroud and reattach the front sight, but you'd have to buy the ruger at a real steal to make that make more sense than the lcr option, unless the D/A trigger on the later was an absolute deal breaker.

Back in the day Ruger made a .22 SP101 with a normal length (2" or whatever) barrel and normal sights.  That would be cool to have.

• Like 1

Ya'll will probably get a smile out of this but I own a Phoenix HP22A semi auto and I love it. I liked it so much when my daughter wanted a gun to plink with around their house in the yard I loaned her that and had to buy another cause she didn't want to give it back. So far she had managed to kill 3 opposums that kept getting it the trash and a few chicken snakes because they have chickens and shot at 1 Fox that was trying to get in the hen house and not sure if she hit it or not but it yelped and ran off and has not been back. I know some folks don't like them because of the safety factors of having what some say is to many. I have learned how to work around that. They hold 10 rounds in magazine and one in the tube. They will shoot about any brand ammo with no issues. Last one I bought I gave about $139.00 for and came with 1 extra magazine. Took it to the range when I first got it and was very surprised at how accurate the little gun is. I throw it in my pocket for quick trips to the store or when I walk to the mail box of just walking around the yard. Never use to do that but in last year several folks around my neighborhood have been robbed at knife point while cutting their yards and one guy was robbed while grilling out about a block from my house. If I am going to be robbed by a guy with a knife he will still be here when the police arrive. Bleeding or not will be up to him but he will be here.

• Like 3

Having shot and owned a fair pile of small .22 handguns I think for pocket carry the S&W 317 2" or a 43C would be at the top of the list.  I don't feel too bad about the several Jennings J22s I have had.  Every time I get one and get it running someone beats me down to sell it to them.   I've owned a couple of the Beretta 21s and a Minx in .22short but I am not a big fan of them.  I've owned both the steel and poly Taurus copy of the Beretta 21 and you couldn't give me the steel one, but the poly ones are great in my opinion.  I like bersaguy's recommendation of the Phoenix HP22.  I've had a couple and they worked fine.  If it had to be a revolver and I had the money I would hunt down the two airweight S&W J frames over the Ruger LCR.  Nothing wrong with the LCR but I think the S&Ws are slicker for pocket carry and are just plain slicker. 

• Like 1

I used to be a dealer back in the 80's 90's and sold a number of these Iver Johnson TP22's They are about the best 22 pocket gun I can think of since they have an outstanding firing pin block for chamber carry. As reliable as it gets.

rust004.jpg

A wheel gun I really like is an old Taurus 22 I bore out to mag. Its a scaled down 5 screw J frame Smith in most ways.

22m.jpg

taurus002.jpg

taurus001.jpg

• Like 3
11 hours ago, xtriggerman said:

I used to be a dealer back in the 80's 90's and sold a number of these Iver Johnson TP22's They are about the best 22 pocket gun I can think of since they have an outstanding firing pin block for chamber carry. As reliable as it gets.

rust004.jpg

A wheel gun I really like is an old Taurus 22 I bore out to mag. Its a scaled down 5 screw J frame Smith in most ways.

22m.jpg

taurus002.jpg

taurus001.jpg

That Iver Johnson looks like a mini Beretta, or do you just have large hands?

What is the value of these today?

On 10/13/2016 at 1:03 PM, Jct1911 said:

Beretta 71. They are about $250, with pinned fake supressor. These are supposedly Mossad guns and recently imported. The fake pinned supressor can be removed to reveal threaded barrel. Mags aren't cheap or plentiful. Gun is really cool, old berettas are quality pieces.

Ive had 21a's. They usually work best with hi power 22lr, neat gun, but kind of a novelty. 

Trigger of of the LCR 22 is heavy to fire rimfire. 

The SR 22 works well, reasonably accurate and priced, safety goes wrong way for 1911 folks.

Do you know where they are still available?  I should have bought one when they first hit the market but I didn't.