Automatic knives

Are automatic knives (switchblades) legal in Tennessee? 

I don't know much abut them, but lately I've been pondering getting one. I'd be interested in one not too big, three maybe four inches, good quality, easy to handle, quick to open, with an easy to manipulate safety and doesn't have a tendency to open by accident in your pocket. I'd also like to keep the cost under $100. 

Does such a blade exist? Suggestions? 

22 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Are automatic knives (switchblades) legal in Tennessee? 

I don't know much abut them, but lately I've been pondering getting one. I'd be interested in one not too big, three maybe four inches, good quality, easy to handle, quick to open, with an easy to manipulate safety and doesn't have a tendency to open by accident in your pocket. I'd also like to keep the cost under $100. 

Does such a blade exist? Suggestions? 

You may own and carry any type or length knife in TN these days.

I'll leave all the suggestions to others. I have only two switchblades any more, one high end custom TGO branded Pro Tech purchased through group buy here (~$240) and a low end Taiwan made Boker ($40).  Of course one is much purtier, has a more esoteric steel,  and is likely to hold up much longer than the other (or be quickly fixed by the maker), but both function well and are plenty sharp to cut what needs cutting. Neither has a "safety", but neither is at all likely to open in a pocket.

I mainly bought the fancy one to commemorate the change in TN knife laws, it's too damn nice to carry. And really, though they are cool, they don't really open any quicker than nice assisted ones anyway, so I'm certainly not an auto snob. :) I'm sure there are any number of models under a c-note that would tickle you pink. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Yes, they are legal in this state.

They have plenty of them here; and probably have the best prices. http://www.bladehq.com/

I was looking for some auto knives in the $100 range. I bought a Kershaw launch 3 and a U.S. made Smith & Wesson M&P.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Kershaw-Launch-3-Automatic-Knife--27379

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Smith-Wesson-Military-Police--13611

The Kershaw was hands down the better knife. I just didn't like the shape of the handle, so a co-worker bought it.

I also bought a $30 China made S&W and it is pretty cheap; but works.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Smith-Wesson-Extreme-Ops--1321

FWIW...I have an HK Epidemic. It doesn't meet your pricing criteria though. I bought it on impulse while in Knoxville and visiting  a friend and a gun shop. lol

It's a really good knife. Opens and closes easily and quickly. Does take a firm grip and push on the release to do so. Has a good edge and has been overall a very good letter and package opener for me. Did I say it was an impulse buy?

Seriously though, the HK knives from Benchmade are pretty good. I had a Boker 3.5 inch that I really loved. It stopped working in less than a week. Boker refused to warranty it though. Said the auto knives were not "in house" products. That they were done by another source and not eligible for their warranty repair program. Granted this has been a few years ago, and I haven't bought another Boker since.   

Just picked one of these up...

http://kershawguy.com/products-page/launch-6/kershaw-7800blk-auto-launch-6/

Ive got a Protek and a couple of Benchmade Adamas autos... They run hot and cold with me... The Protek blade is basically a dagger, and the Adamas is great big... I'm hopin this Kershaw Launch 6 is like "Baby Bear's Porridge"... Just right.... I pretty well like a slim, long blade; and this one has it...

leroy

• Like 1
2 hours ago, leroy said:

Just picked one of these up...

http://kershawguy.com/products-page/launch-6/kershaw-7800blk-auto-launch-6/

Ive got a Protek and a couple of Benchmade Adamas autos... They run hot and cold with me... The Protek blade is basically a dagger, and the Adamas is great big... I'm hopin this Kershaw Launch 6 is like "Baby Bear's Porridge"... Just right.... I pretty well like a slim, long blade; and this one has it...

leroy

I like how they recessed the button on that Kershaw like ProTech does. I have 3 auto-knives already otherwise I'd get one of these too.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

I like how they recessed the button on that Kershaw like ProTech does. I have 3 auto-knives already otherwise I'd get one of these too.

SW....

I noticed (..and liked...) that too... I'm a Kershaw guy myself... They make some good stuff... Can't wait ta see 'em...

leroy