Smith 686-1: I has uh pwoblem

686-1. It's cleaned and laid up for a pretty good while now. I have never had the first glitch out of this feller until today. My son and I took it out today. While shooting it we discovered that the cylinder it not rotating. My son was shooting when we first noticed. I was looking at the target and heard a couple rounds go off, then a couple of clicks. My first thought was "hard primer," until I turned around and looked at it and noticed that the cylinder was not rotating as it should be, as in not at all. You can try cocking the hammer, or try double action and the result is the same. The lockwork - hammer and trigger - function fine, but roundy thingy no turny. Apparently, it appears, the hand is not reaching out and engaging the cylinder to turn it. I removed the side plate (properly) and worked the action. Of course at this time the hand is not riding in the slot of the side plate, but I held light pressure with my thumb on the hand, and it engaged every time. But it won't engage with the plate on. By the way, the cylinder is not bound up in any way. You can pull the trigger back a little, or the hammer back a little, and it will rotate freely just as it always has.

It's been a good while since I did any gunsmithing, and I'm a little rusty. I'm hoping it's something stupid that I'm just missing. What are your thoughts. What should I be looking for?

ETA: By the way, the hand does appear to be in the same condition as it's always been, with the same profile. Doesn't appear to have anything broken off.

Edited by res308

It does have the "M" modification. After trying to do some research, I'm starting to wonder if the "floating hand" on that model might be causing the problem. Seems they had a pretty high failure rate. I read that you drive out the pin on the trigger for the floating hand, and install a fixed hand. Then you'd have to fit it, and I don't remember right now how to do that.

When you push the hand in does it snap back?

I would use this page to contact S&W; they will fix it.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/customer-service/contact-us

If you want to work on it yourself, Jerry Miculek made a DVD called “Trigger Job” that is excellent. It goes through each piece in K,L and N frames with explanations on what to look for. You don’t have to be doing an action job for it to be a valuable training tool.

Edited by DaveTN
Spelling

Ok. I forgot a thing or two. I did mention that it had functioned well up to that point. But I forgot to mention that I had shot it first yesterday. I ran 6 rounds and handed it to my son, then he ran a couple rounds and it failed. So I think it occurred at that time.

I know the hand rides inside the slot on the side plate, so I may have this wrong, but is the hand, when installed, supposed to be under light spring tension? That may be a stupid question, but I just can't remember.

I am no gunsmith, but I had a similar problem with my old S&W 19-2.  Cylinder just locked up.  I never had a revolver do that before. I took it back to where I bought it and they said it was a characteristic of these .357's that the frames get rattled and that all screws should be tightened after shooting as a regular part of maintenance.  The man tightened one of my screws, and voila, cylinder has been turning since.  I hope your problem is so simple.

From what you describe, I'm guessing that the hand spring is broken. This is a small spring inside the trigger which pushes the hand forward to engage the ratchet. Its nothing major, but it can be a bit of a pain to replace due to its small size. Any decent gunsmith can do it about half an hour. If you're familiar with the S&W lockworks and fairly skilled, you can do it yourself. 

This issue had gotten pushed aside for several days due to everything going on. This felt like what I like to call a "Homer Simpson moment" in that I had forgotten about the hand torsion spring. I could not see it while the trigger was in place, and I didn't think about it until I removed the trigger. Then, well, DOH!

It's not broken. I put it back in place. Thing is, I don't see how or where it could have slipped off. I did action work on the last Smith I had, but not this one. I don't recall ever having the guts out of this one. But, who knows, it's been more than 5 minutes ago and I may have had the parts out and forgotten about it, so I'm not ruling out that possibility.

That little spring is a royal pain to put back in place. All seems to be working correctly and I'll shoot it this afternoon to make sure.

Thank you gentlemen. 

• Like 1