Who here owns an AR?

wolfdog45

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
thinking of getting an AR. What do i need to own one in tn.

Only the same things that you need to own any other rifle in TN. Clean record with the TBI and the money to buy it. :up:

and what are some opinions on quality.

I have a Bushmaster and have been very happy with it. I've heard that Rock River Arms (RRA) rifles are very good as well.

One day.........

I've heard you can buy the parts on the interweb and build your own and by buying it in parts that you have to assemble and not buying together, you can actually do it and build one for around $500.

Anybody ever here of this or had any experience doing this?

One day.........

I've heard you can buy the parts on the interweb and build your own and by buying it in parts that you have to assemble and not buying together, you can actually do it and build one for around $500.

Anybody ever here of this or had any experience doing this?

You can, as long as you're comfortable putting all the small parts together yourself. A stock A2 upper kit runs around $450, and you spend another $100 or so for a stripped lower receiver from your local FFL. Supposedly, these guys have pretty decent kits, but I've never tried them. http://www.model1sales.com/

They do have pretty good prices though... Happy surfing.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Archimedes

OK, my next purchase is going to be an AR.

I'm the kinda guy that is all about research when I'm looking to buy almost anything.

What do I need to look for?

What do I need to stay away from?

I want a rifle that is as close to an M16 as possible, I suppose...Unless there is a good reason why I should not want this.

I would like to have full-auto eventually(I think that's legal in TN with the $200 tax), but I'm not that concerned with it now.

Is there anyone who can steer us AR nubs in the right direction?

~Archi

P. S. -- I've been doing some reading on AR15.com. What other resources are there?