Who here owns an AR?

wolfdog45

Thats interesting since the tape measure said 18 1/2"... I just figured that an inch and a half were in the upper

What model is it Joe?

Or are you thinking of the SOCCOM 16 that you sold me. Now it is a 16" barrel.

you are measuring wrong.

measure from the face of the closed bolt to the end of the barrel.

You have a DPMS AP4 which is the DPMS version of a M4 carbine copy

I picked up a DPMS 16" AR from a local range's consignment area a couple of months ago. It's an A3 configuration with an Eotech 5.11 sight, flip-up rear sight, phantom flash hider, Vltor collapsible stock, houge pistol grip, and a few other "upgrades"

Shoots nice, and I like it. My next one will prolly be a home built AR, just because I can do it :D

Guest ETS_Inc

I lost all of mine in a tragic boating accident.

(To any BATFE agents who might be reading this, I don't mean those post-samples. They are still available for your inspection. It's just the other, less evil guns that I lost.)

Guest Mugster

I have one lower and a 16" carbine A4 upper (both DS) and a m16a1 suplus upper. I like the m16a1 upper the best by far. It fts pretty good. I got the A1 furniture with it too, I think i may build a lower for it eventually. I like the A1 stock length alot better.

I ordered a RRA 20" A4 with no front site about 3 weeks ago. They say 6-8 weeks. I kind of feel like the maytag repairman, they never call....

Yeah...they are SOOOOOO scary! :up:

DANGEROUS TOO!!! :D

Thats why im going to go ahead and destroy all of mine, so nobody gets hurt. :)

No no, don't destroy them. There's a website out there that deals with this very problem in a wonderful way. They've got a bayonet equipped AR-15 sitting in a room all by itself with a webcam aimed at it 24x7 and anyone can go to the website to check and make sure that the "evil" assault weapon hasn't walked off and harmed someone. Can't remember the URL atm, but maybe I can find it, because I thought it was hysterical.

You guys are killing me....I thought I had to go the the TEAM room on ARFCOM to get all this stuff.:confused:

For any newbs, the guys previously posting on buying a complete factory rifle first are dead on! Get one from a reputable company (I have only RRA so can't talk about anyone elses stuff).

After that you will have a base model to "build" your own. Unless your a machinist your not really building but "assemble" your own would be a better description. The only portion of an AR that is considered the weapon is the lower. The part with the serial number on it. Everything else for a standard AR can be shipped to your door step. There are tons of sources for the lower and after that its how much you want to turn the wrench or tap in roll pins. I like to assemble mine but don't want to mess with headspace and measuring of the chamber by putting that section of an upper together. Buy a complete upper from somewhere (again RRA has some of the best equipment for the blue collar guy to buy, but you will have to wait for it as everyone wants their stuff). Go to AR15.com and download the assembly instructions and go to town.

The really cool part is after you have your first 5.56 togther you can just start ordering the upper assemblys and use your one lower to slap them on and go shooting. I have a .458 Socom (see pic of magazine in sig line) upper on its way from the developer, Marty Ter Weeme of Teppo Jutsu in Texas http://http://www.teppojutsu.com/. Big slamming 300 to 600 grain bullets from the same platform you were shooting your 55 grain screamers! You might also look at White Oak Arms

http://http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/complete_uppers.htm for some fantastic uppers. Check out the .204 Ruger!

Its just what ever you want to put together now adays. Lots of custom builders out there

• 1 month later...
Guest Ross Mccathren

if you want a good assult rifle i sugest an SA58 or finfal just my opinion tho when i get my job at the airfeald with my dad next year i plan on savin 1 money for further college to become a gun smith 2 get money to buy one of thoes.

• 2 months later...
Guest someguy12341

RRA Gov't model; see pic above from Willis68 - same gun.

RRA lower, built up w/ RRA lower parts kit ($100) and Vltor stock, waiting (patiently) for my LWRC SRT upper in 6.8 SPC. Piston upper a la HK, but a) available, ;) repairable (try finding HK416 parts) and c) made in USA. Plus I think the design's better, but that's just my opinion..

Colt SP-1 made in 1978; currently for sale at Classic Arms in Cordova, TN. Bone stock.

If it's your first gun, go buy a basic Bushy or RRA. If you think you might EVER want to build one up, go buy a stripped lower and stash it. If a new ban gets passed, your 'gun' - the lower - will be pre-ban.

I have a factory DSA 10.5" w/5.5 fh, 1 Stag 2H flat top 16", 1 Stag lower with BM A2 upper 16", 1 Stag lower w/ CZ V22 dedicated .22lr upper, and one extra Stag lower w/ A2 stock for a varmint build when I get an upper for it.

I really want to get one in 6.8 next also. The Barrett model has really caught my eye.

DSC01432.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with building your own first rifle. I did, and it's still the only AR I have. I did have one little problem, and doublestar made it right ... quick. I bought their complete upper kit and it comes headspaced already, so no problems there.

just wanted to say hi to all i'm new here and also a newbie proud owner of an bushmaster AR i'm impressed with mine i love shooting it aint had it a couple of months just put bout 200 rounds through it. i've read alot on here before i decided to join a very knowledgeable place from what i've read yall reall know your stuff