Today, I 'kinda' got more American.....

Handsome Rob

I've heard it said, in fact, I've said it myself, that the .30 caliber of 1906 is the finest, most versatile cartridge in the world.
I always felt justified in parroting this pearl of wisdom, because logic &, frankly, hundreds of thousands of people prove it to be true.
However I always felt a wee tad hypocritical saying this, as a complete caliber whore, because until today....I've never actually owned one.
I've bought several, but only because it's the cheapest way to buy a Savage that I've immediately rebarrelled to something sleeker, sexier, faster, bigger etc... I've never actually touched a single round of from an '06. In. My. Life

So now as the immensely proud owner of an American classic, the Rifleman's Rifle, the venerable Winchester model 70, lovingly nestled in a stunning, quilted walnut stock; I need someone to school me on the rascal.

What bullets work for which critter?
What powders are giving the best, consistent loads?
Who likes what brass?
What've you shot, how far was it & how happy were you with the performance?
Who wants to buy a Savage 110 in .280ai? 
Why did I have the visceral urge to buy this thing?
Is it compulsory to buy a full sized 1911 now?
Shouldn't it have come with a Greencard?

• Like 3

I like 150 gr. for deer. I use IMR 4350 and IMR 4895. Some like 165 gr. bullets a lot. The only thing I've hunted with mine is deer. For smaller game like varmints I go with a .223. Full power loads in the woods, are a little more than you need for deer, in my opinion. Some will disagree. The farthest I've ever killed with a .30-06 was 348 yards. Its a killing caliber. It was awesome in the M1 Garand.

• Like 1

IMG_2681_zps9cwo7qla.jpg

I'll show ya mine if ya show me yours!

I like 150 grain cup & core bullets for deer. 165s would work fine as well. Save the 170s and 180s for bigger stuff.

IMR 4064, 3031, and 4350 all work well in the 06.

I've yet to find bad brass for one.

The WalMart Remington 150 grain green box loads will shoot good as anything you'll find, and will kill deer dead.

IMG_2040.jpg

^^^The "original" aught six!

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2

Nice.  The '06 is about as classic as it gets in my opinion.  I killed my first deer with a Remington 742 Woodsmaster and we always used 165gr Core-Lokt off the shelf ammo.  It always did everything I wanted it to do.  I had a garand as well and it's one of the few guns I ever regret selling.

My 280AI may go up for sale soon as well.  I have a Kimber 280AI that is a great shooter but I have been wanting to get another 30-06 and have been eyeing a cooper arms excalibur  I just need santa to drop off a pile of cash and I'm all set.

And yes, you definitely need a 1911 as well!!!!!

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, robtattoo said:

I'm pretty sure it hasn't seen a full box of ammo. I need to run the number, but I believe it's an '81 model. It's the 'Westerner' version without the bottom metal, but....SO pretty!

Sent from a mountain somewhere, using telepathy.

That's a fine looking shoot'n iron you have there!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Great looking gun!

30-06 is my favorite rifle caliber. I have a Rock Island Arsenal 1903 that was handed down to me by my grandfather. It was already sporterized with a nice wood stock when I got it, but it's a great shooter. I also have a Savage 110, a Garand and I'll have a Win70 in '06 one day. 

You'll enjoy it, I'm sure.

For deer... Remington Corelok 150 or 165 for off the shelf ammo or I load 165gn Accubonds over H4350.

I've been working up a load with 180gr Accubonds over RL-22 just incase the dinosaurs come back :) Somewhat of a recoiler in the light Savage but pushes the 180gr nearly 2900fps with moa groups. Be a good elk load.

Edited by Wingshooter