Firearms

for a survival situation I would take the little single shot .22. It is very accurate, does not weigh very much and I could attach it to a small pack, or put it in a larger pack.

But in actuality am I hiking out of Knoxville for somehwere else? Probably not.

I am too old, wife is too old, realistically whatever happens will happen here at home.

Chances are if there is some kind of survivalist situation most of us would find ourselves away from our gun stash. So having my daily sidearm and enough rounds to reload once or twice would have to suffice until making it home.

If it is a real SHTF situation I will try to get home and hunker down.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it does become time Get out OD ,Im bringing

4-.45

2-.357

2-p22

2- sw.9

2- sw .40

3 - 12ga. 2 - 20ga

Anyway Im bringing everything my six mexicans and mules can pack.

The only meat is the mules.Then the mexicans

Guest mikedwood
I've got on the of the U.S. Survival rifles and it has shot everything I have fed it, including the bulk stuff.

When I first got the gun, it wouldn't work at all (spent casings would try to eject to the left, into the receiver). I shipped it back to Henry (on their dime), they replace the barrel, ejector and mags and shipped it back to me, no charge. I put 50 rounds of min-mags through it without one failure and now I have shot over 200 rounds of Rem. bulk pack without one failure.

Oh, and I got the gun for $10.00!! :up:

As far as floating, i don't know, my stock does not appear to filled with foam. But then again, having a floating firearm was not one of my requirements.

Now for SHTF weapon(s), well, I have ammo for most of my guns. If I have to leave the house for a safer environment the current conditions will determine what I bring with.

This may need another thread, but, whatever you choose for your SHTF weapon I would be sure you can service it as there may be no gunsmiths available. I like glocks for this aspect, even my 10/22 is user friendly for fixing yourself.

Would you like to double your investment on that fine firearm? :rock:

I seriously love mine even if it's picky. I don't think mine would fall into the warranty category. I'm probably the twentieth owner of this one in as many years.

If I remember right with 550 rounds of ammo and the rifle it's around 7 pounds.

Salsa,I dont need no stinken Salsa.

Maybe but, none of that crap from new york city. Get a rope

NEW YORK CITY?!!!

Anyway I think the Survival rifle from Henry is awesome. Kckndrgn showed me his and I gotta say it is sweet!

I really want a Glock 19 for a bug-out gun. Just easy to maintain, decent capacity,etc.

That said I've got the AR and the shotgun and if I'm mobile I'm taking what I can. If I'm on foot it's what I can fit in the pack, on my waist, and a slung AR.

• 3 months later...
Guest lobes65

Gotta agree with the Rossi post. I'm going with the 12 gauge 22lr combo. You could take down birds and just about anything on the ground. Yes, including deer (don't ask me how I know). I think that whatever you choose, iron sights are a must, a scope is great until you drop your gun once. And it doesn't get much simpler than a single shot.

although my gun collection was recently liquidated, my choices would be

H&R handirifle single-shot, with a few conversion barrels (its a takedown rifle)

AR-15, with .22LR, 6.8SPC and .458socom uppers (again a takedown rifle)

870 (again takedown gun)

subcompact 9mm

fullsize 45

service sized .44mag (usable for hunting big game, or could be carried OC with .44spl.)

I think a .22 break down rifle in the BOB to get me home and plan to resupply and get outta dodge from there. I'm still looking for a good .22 break down. I have found a few Brownings and none of the Marlin Papoose...they appear to be the only decent quality break down rifles left.

My bug out preperations are as follows:

Maadi ARM (not the century arms crap) with a 1.5x6x44 illumnated reticle low light scope 6 30 round eastern euro mags and about 800 rds 154g soft point and my ruger pc9 with BSA stealth tactical R/G/B sight. . .spare batts and a ruger p95 DC and about 800 rounds of 9bple now I just need a saiga 12 preferably in 22" barrel for some versatility

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tadams
although my gun collection was recently liquidated, my choices would be

H&R handirifle single-shot, with a few conversion barrels (its a takedown rifle)

AR-15, with .22LR, 6.8SPC and .458socom uppers (again a takedown rifle)

870 (again takedown gun)

subcompact 9mm

fullsize 45

service sized .44mag (usable for hunting big game, or could be carried OC with .44spl.)

I'm dead with you on the idea of takedown long guns.

However, for me, an AR platform with swappable uppers is completely doable but I’m keen on the ability to go from one gun to the next without taking the time to do a changeout in a defensive retreat situation. The only time I’d consider doing that in would be on the .22/ 12g Rossi – I’d keep it in the 12g solution while carried, for defensive purposes, but if I needed to hunt game in a relaxed environment, I would have time to swap to the .22.

I definitely might change my mind, though.

Edited by tadams
Added last sentence
Guest tadams

I’ve thought about this a little more than I should probably admit… (whoops) ;) LOL

The ability to conceal a long gun is a key point for me. I imagine scenarios requiring being able to move on foot undetected within crowds of sheeple, or meeting other people, or bad dudes who want to steal my weapon for themselves. Being able to carry a “civilian” bag and go about completely undetected could come in very handy. I also imagine no more than 3 sizes of ammo, but only 2 for fleeing on foot. Calibers would need to be easy to find, thus the use of .22, 9mm(possibly .45acp), and the third would need to be something more long range and powerful, like a .308.. Obviously, a .223 should also be readily available, but I dismissed it altogether because you can’t carry it in a sidearm and it’s not got the long-range-kill of the .308. 12g is a possiblity, but you don't get much tradeoff for the ammo weight in a carry situation.

Currently, and this could change at any time, it would mean having the:

Henry Survival .22 – compact, efficient, multiple load friendly, water resistant while stored, probably the “easier-to-find” parts option out of these, but only feeds higher velocity well, also scopable

Marlin Papoose .22 – scopable, has a few marlin issues, but nothing a new parts shakedown wouldn’t take care of to make reliable (a lot of these are 20-30 years old, now)

Browning or Norinco Takedown .22 – same concealment reasons, scopable OR the

Rossi Matched Pair .22/12g combo – still collapses down to a 23” length

The next weapons would all be 9mm and are combo deals to interchange magazines:

• Glock 19 – rough, tough, easy to conceal, can’t kill it/ stupid proof, easy to find parts/mags, and fixable by the end user
    KelTec Sub 2K, Glock mag version – lightweight, foldable (which is also it’s greatest flaw, as it’s a breaking point) and pretty easy to clean
  • Smith 59** - Mags readily available and used by so many weapons (as a matter of fact, I would probably own a Daewoo pistol if I went this route)
    KelTec Subbie – same reasoning as above, different magazine
  • Sig pistola – Legendary reliability, also pretty easy to find parts/ mags
    KelTec Subbie – lather, rinse, repeat

If not the Sub2K I’d choose a Hi Point 995 Carbine in a bullpup configuration – there’s a tradeoff either way, here. The Hi point Bullpup will never be quite as short as the Subbie, they don’t have a steel slide, use proprietary magazines and are harder to field strip than some things are. However (and this is a biggee) they are easier to scope, which is part of what a long gun is about.

Also, the word on the street is that Hi Point should come out with their 4595 very soon. Unfortunately, this is a proprietary magazine, too. Too bad they couldn’t do it with a 1911 mag!

The .308 wouldn’t have to be “civilian back pack” portable for me, but more along the lines of keeping at a fixed location for long-range protection. However, the NEF Handi-Rifle Survivor in .308 is collapsible with a pull of the pin. It’s also railed, so keeping a scope sighted in is completely doable. Also, the Handi-rifle is available in so many calibers, it’s a good take down for almost anybody.

Edited by tadams
scopable henry

Henry Survival .22 – compact, efficient, multiple load friendly, water resistant while stored, ...

It's "scopeable" too...

"As an added feature, the receiver rib is now grooved for easy installation of a scope."

- OS

Guest tadams
It's "scopeable" too...

"As an added feature, the receiver rib is now grooved for easy installation of a scope."

- OS

Ooh, good point! I forgot to mention that. I was unaware of the grooving, though. Is there enough room to store it with a scope in the stock?

Ooh, good point! I forgot to mention that. I was unaware of the grooving, though. Is there enough room to store it with a scope in the stock?

I've never had one in my hands, but I wouldn't think so.

- OS

Not all Century is bad, but there are some bad apples outthere. Ruger P95dc is a good gun, that was actually my first handgun.(miss her)

My apologies, I didnt mean to say all the century variants were "crap", in fact I know Century has put alot of good guns in good peoples hands. I was referring only to those Maadi's that Century put together using Maadi receivers and chinese parts. . .I believe they were called Misr 90's. . .once again deepest regrets to unintended "bash" of Century. . .;). . .

Thanks Paletiger13 for helping keep that properly focused. . .Im sorry you didnt keep that p95. . .but Im sure you moved on to better. . .