Firearms

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Big C

I would also say my .22 lr. It is light and quite. If it is for a "bug out", you want something quite and accurate. On another note, can't beat a good knife and a bow either. :down::drool:

Guest mustangdave

Lets see....I have my Mini14...and 357mag revolver, the wife has her 22mag lever action Henry and 357mag revolver. If we're seriously buggin out though...the 12 guage Bennelli's comin too...and both our semi auto carry pistols...then there's the ammo and MRE's

• Admin Team

I've got a Charter Arms AR-7 - I think Henry bought the rights from them in the 80's. It's picky on mags, but I love the platform. I don't know about the Henry's, but mine definitely floats.

As much as I love the survival rifle, and the one it replaced the M-6 (foldable .410/22LR), I have taken it out of my kits and use it primarily as a utility rifle/plinker on float trips.

The primary reason is that for the shots that you are going to be taking in most survival/E&E situations you can get the needed accuracy in a pistol set up for the purpose.

Fast and light wins for me. A rifle would have to go in my Level III kit which doesn't travel unless I see a need. A pistol fits in my Level II which generally stays in the truck. For me, its a Ruger MkII with a PacLite barrel and a micro red dot site. That and 50 rounds of Velocitors don't make a big difference in weight or size of my kit.

Hopefully, if I ever have to punch out I should have my primary weapon with me (Walther P99). Better yet, I'll get some forward warning and be able to grab a long gun before I go (and some friends with long guns). Regardless, I know 22 will keep the reaper at bay until I get some help or get found.

Incidentally, if someone has an M-6, either the Henry or the CZ variant that they want to get off their hands, PM or email and I would be happy to talk.

Went to Gander Mountain at lunch today. Again there was a lack of pistol ammo. When you start looking at the lack of available ammo, a .22 sounds better and better. I looked for a used 10/22 this weekend at the gunshow, but saw nothing affordable. I guess I'll still stick with the Hi-Point Carbine for now.

... I looked for a used 10/22 this weekend at the gunshow, but saw nothing affordable....

Guy buys a 10/22, he generally keeps it or passes it along.

Dick's and even (gasp) Gander Mtn. have the basic carbine for 199.99. One of the absolute best buys in weaponry, grab ya one!

- OS

• Admin Team

I've still got my 10/22 carbine that I got for my 13th birthday. It's probably had +10,000 rounds of various bulk pack ammo over the years and just continues to perform. I don't think someone could offer me a price to sell it. Pick one up while you can - you won't regret it.

Guest MCRAIG

I have a marlin model 60 and it is as good if not more accurate than the 10/22. Shoots anything you put in it, and have put about 5,000 rounds through it in the 13 years I have had it. Got if for a Christmas present as a kid. The neighborhood hasn't been the same since.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 22-rimfire

I generally choose a 22 rifle and revolver for most survival situations. Been trying to shoot my open sighted Marlin 39A to get more used to open sights. (Just bought it this spring.) I just have always preferred scopes. So, I'm not sure which rifle would get the nod and it would depend on what I'm traveling in. I specifically bought the Marlin to be a woods gun, but I am not a good enough shot with open sights to satisfy my need for shooting precision. I may just slap a nice Weaver 4x Rimfire scope on it and have both a fast pointer and easy to aim rifle. I like the rifle, I just can't shoot it well enough at 50 yds to suit me. It is high on my list of 22 rifle choices for woods survival due to reliability and hunting accuracy.

But it really depends on the scenario and I have a Mini-14 should 2-legged predators be the main focus as well as self defense. I have avoided the AR craze for the most part even though I've had the Mini for years. I really can't afford to just plink with it and that is pretty much all I use it for these days. Owned and shot a Uzi Mini-carbine for a while and got rid of it. My accuracy expectations were unreasonable for that rifle. Getting rid of that rifle was probably a mistake when I look at just how hard they are to buy these days and the price.

• 1 year later...

12 gauge is a good all purpose round, but they take a lot of space up if your in a static place. And if your moving around, they weight an awful lot. If you don't believe me, go buy a 100 count box of field loads and put them in your back pack along with the rest of your bug out stuff and then walk around with it for a day.

If I were going to pack a .308, I'd probably pick a bolt or a lever gun for it. Seems like most of the military style rifles are set up for more 7.62x51 than .308. I know most authorities on the subject, don't recommend firing .308 out of a 7.62x51 rifle for any extended period of time. Where as there is not problem in firing 7.62x51 in the .308 chambered rifle. I wonder though if a good hunting caliber would be better. Say a 30/30, just because the rounds are going to be a lot easier to scrounge.

When one is thinking of weapons to carry, I think scrounging ability should be taken into account. I think that's the reason you see most here picking the lowly .22Lr. I read on another forum that your probably much more likely to run across a large amount of .22lr than any other round, simply because they are cheap, easy to store and easy to shoot. And if you know what your doing, they will kill just about anything in North America. Don't believe that, watch Swamp People on the History Channel on Sunday nights and note the caliber that all the swampers us to take out gators with.

Edited by Moped

Hmm. Bug out/survival firearms. Ok. If you are having to bug out, you need concealable firearms. A conceal carry pistol and a concealable rifle. Bugging out suggests a limited capability to carry.

If you can bug out via vehicle, then that limit is partly removed.

On foot bug out - concealable 9mm or 357/38sp. Why? 9mm is most likely the easiest to find ammo, and a 357/38sp also seems to be the most available ammo for revolvers.

Rifle - must be light weight and carried concealed. The carbines, Ak74 and AR15 with collapsible stocks. The 9mm carbine makes sense as you would be carrying the same ammo for your pistol...

Vehicle bug out - concealable side arm as above. 12 Gauge with 2 barrels (short and long) 9mm Carbine or AK or AR, including 7.62 calibers. 22lr rifle. Bolt action scoped rifle.

Any recommendations on a specific .22 rifle? I'm not a big hunter or rifle guy but would like to own and get used to one.

I also want to pick up a good tactical shotgun...if anyone has any ideas on that as well.

I'm building my go bag this week.

Any recommendations on a specific .22 rifle? I'm not a big hunter or rifle guy but would like to own and get used to one.

I also want to pick up a good tactical shotgun...if anyone has any ideas on that as well.

I'm building my go bag this week.

.22 rifle - Marlin Model 60, Ruger 10/22, Marlin 39a, Ruger 77/22

tactical shotgun - Remington 870, Remington 887, Mossberg 500, Mossberg 590, Benelli M4

.22LR

Automatic - Ruger 10/22. There are plenty of accessories for these great little rifles, like folding stocks and hi-cap mags.

Lever Action - Marlin 39. Great little lever gun.

Tactical Shotgun

Either a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 590. Both are great shotguns. Another possibility is the Saiga 12, but you need to convert it back to a true AK format. Move the trigger forward, change out the trigger group, change the stock out, add a pistol grip and get Surefire mags. All changed out parts need to be US made though.

Guest buttonhook
rossi trifecta in 20 gauge/22lr/243 comes in a handy carry bag youth verson is short shoots well

thats what I was thinking too. I just bought one of the tuffy shotguns and all of the barrels fit on to it. so now I have 22lr. 20 ga. .243 and .410

• 1 month later...

Due to health and other issues I recently had to sell almost my whole collection. Things are better now so I am restocking. I have a great handgun, and purchased a Savage 64 22 yesterday. My wife has ordered me a Saiga in 5.45x39 for Christmas. After that I want to get a shotgun, and begin to buy ammo in bulk. By spring I should be up to speed on weapons of necessity.