Stay home? or hit the woods?

First day of gun season is Saturday which will begin with a predicted low of 50 deg with a high of 52. (I know right?)  But here's the kicker:

"Mostly cloudy early, then afternoon sunshine. Winds NW at 15 to 25 mph."

SO...What would ya'll do. Go and take your chances with the wind......or sleep in?

You can't miss opening day of gun season! That's like missing your birthday or somthing! 

Seriously though it could go either way. The rain will slow them down, then they'll be hungry and with the cold front moving they will have movement from that too. But the wind may supress some. Who knows. Go hunt and report back! 

• Like 2

I'm hitting the woods. One of my most memorable hunts was a midday late October with gusty winds and pouring rain. It was dead until it wasn't :) Here came a doe busting through the woods with a buck in tow. They crisscrossed the woods around me for about 30mins before I got a shot. I remember the rain pouring off the brim of my hat at an angle from the wind. It doesn't rain in this part of TN anymore though.

This weekend, I figure they might be frisky with the weather change... I hope anyway. Either way, I just enjoy sitting in the woods :)

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

I'm hitting the woods. One of my most memorable hunts was a midday late October with gusty winds and pouring rain. It was dead until it wasn't :) Here came a doe busting through the woods with a buck in tow. They crisscrossed the woods around me for about 30mins before I got a shot. I remember the rain pouring off the brim of my hat at an angle from the wind. It doesn't rain in this part of TN anymore though.

This weekend, I figure they might be frisky with the weather change... I hope anyway. Either way, I just enjoy sitting in the woods :)

YEP.....I'm going tomorrow to find my spot for Saturday. I'll probably just stay out until 11 or so. Who knows, I may still get another one for the freezer on the last day of muzzleloader. Then have the potential for 2 more does and a buck for gun season. 

• Like 1

I am staying in. I will make the 1 1/2 hour trek out Sunday after Sunday school. 

Hunt Sunday afternoon stay the night and hunt all day Monday.

We have some nice deer on cameras at our lease. Sure would like to at least see one. But if I don't? Still cool to be out in Gods great outdoors.

Enjoy

I don't do morning hunts (actually.....mornings.) but come Hell or high water I'll be out again tomorrow afternoon. Peak feed time is 3:36 to 5:46 & I'm hoping to bump into some meat on the lease. I've only hunted it once during muzzleloader & I know all the property around gets a lot of pressure, so I'm hoping my 'sanctuary' tactic pays off. I know it did last year!

My only concern is which rifle to take!

• Like 1

Maybe I am a panzee, its cold, rainy, wind blowing, but on the bright side both my treestand and hunting blind are <100 yards from the backdoor, so maybe later today.   In the meantime, I could always go to Arbys today for a venison sandwich.   

Edited by runco

I woke up this morning with a sinus headache. I opened the door, looked out and it was raining. I said "naw", took some tylenol and went back to bed, lol. Now the headache's gone, and I'm kicking myself 'cause it looks like an incredible morning to be in the stand. I much prefer afternoon hunting though, so I'll head out later today.

Good luck everyone! Hope ya shoot a world record :)

It's still windy here and 39. I've not seen a thing yet. I'm thinking about getting down and slipping around a bit on a few log trails. 

PS. I wish I'd worn some long johns....muh lags is COLD!! Weatherman said low 50's all day.

Edited by Randall53