Stay home? or hit the woods?

Saw a big 8 moving across one of the larger fields on my hunting property.  Couldn't get a shot off in time.  About all I saw today.  Was around 9:30AM.   I was in the deep woods the first few hours but nothing was moving there.  Back at it starting Monday.  I will be hunting on a family farm in West Virginia Monday through Saturday. 

I'm heading back out in the morning. Good luck to those doing likewise in the morning. I'l be back in my stand about 30 minutes before daylight. I walked just enough to know there is quite a bit of sign in the area I'm in and I'm hopeful, even though I didn't see anything today. I've got my Grabber toe warmers and wool socks ready to go and warmer clothes than I had this morning. 

I went out this afternoon and swayed in the tree tops. A bit windy. I got a little chilled, too. I had nice marino wool long johns at home, lol. Too bad I didn't wear them. I'll wear them tomorrow afternoon when I head back out. I enjoyed beng out today just feeling thankful for my time in the woods. 

I saw one squirrel. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

I went out this afternoon and swayed in the tree tops. A bit windy. I got a little chilled, too. I had nice marino wool long johns at home, lol. Too bad I didn't wear them. I'll wear them tomorrow afternoon when I head back out. I enjoyed beng out today just feeling thankful for my time in the woods. 

I saw one squirrel. 

Amen. Being in the woods is great! Seeing wildlife is a bonus, seeing deer a big bonus and putting meat on the table is YUGE..!!!! Haha....

• Like 1

In the stand, small breeze but not too much.  Great looking morning, seen three does, no shot, and a fox out hunting and warming itself in the sun.  Been using the squirrels to practice acquiring targets in my scope, the fox too.  Fox was difficult, minimal movement and blended well with the tall grass.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Dad03 said:

Saturday morning it sounded like a war zone around here at first light. I had one doe I let pass.  Just came back from this morning hunt. Heard a few shots saw nothing but squirrels moving. Dang cold out in the wind. 

War zone here too, I sure hope they weren't hunting deer, just heard what sounded like three or four mag dumps on full auto.

It's decision time. I've sat in my stand for 2 days without seeing a deer. I'm getting in plenty early like 6:20 with good shooting light not happening until around 7am. There's sign in the area with oaks and acorns everywhere, but nary a deer has dropped by. I'm thinking I need to move, but then, sure as I do I'll miss an opportunity. It's been really windy during both days and tomorrow is supposed to be calm. I got a spike week ago last friday from a different area and might go back there and see what's up.  Oh well. I'll decide in the morning I suppose when I fire up the 4 wheeler. LOL!  Good luck to anyone heading out tomorrow.

Yeah, I only have one spot I go to, but it has been productive so far.  Seen a total of four today, only one let me scope her but no good angle.  Did see a fox though, kinda cool watching it catch, something, then sit and sun itself.  Going out again tomorrow , and all week until I get something.  

• Like 1