Gun store owners feeling bullet proof after Trump's election

14 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Thy should also realize that likely lots of them will be going out of business, too, as Trump ain't likely to be anywhere near the gun salesman that Obama was, or Hillary would have been.

- OS

You never know...  Hearing Protection Act passes or the Hughes Amendment gets repealed...  you could see a massive uptick in firearms sales :)

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, JayC said:

You never know...  Hearing Protection Act passes or the Hughes Amendment gets repealed...  you could see a massive uptick in firearms sales :)

Even though it was passed actually in error, I don't see full auto expanding again this country.

'Course, Trump majorly ruined my prognostication record period, so obviously anything is possible. :)

- OS

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Thy should also realize that likely lots of them will be going out of business, too, as Trump ain't likely to be anywhere near the gun salesman that Obama was, or Hillary would have been.

- OS

<caveat - written under effects of post-operation anesthesia>

I pondered this also, and largely agree. 

In the absence of crisis, "normalcy" returns for a while (re firearms demand).  That said... it *may* very well be the case that "crisis" has simply switched political paradigm, and now the libtards really ramp up on gunthink (with requisite head-sploding of course) -  due to their perceived threat of POTG/conservatives...and President-Elect Trump. 

SO, with luck  the 2A wins out with further converts, solidifying the overall 2A state-of-health. 

AND all that crap above said ... What I think really happens is we (POTG/TGO) get is a 2-year or 4-year relative reprieve on price-jacking & demand - thus - smart $ continues to be "buy low, sell high", and "don't get on the box-car".

<Don't beat me up too bad, Mac>

• Like 1

All I got to say is now is the time to buy and stock up because if Trump loses 4 years from now, sure enough the next Democrat president residing over a Democrat majority congress will ban everything Obama and Clinton wanted, and probably more.

So relax, buy in celebration, but don't wait until the next round of panic buying after a ban threat where prices have shot up 2x to 3x over MSRP. 

I'm going to keep hoarding mags, guns and ammo every chance I get. :cheers:

I don't want to be caught behind another assault weapons ban like the Bill Clinton era ban. 

• Like 2
  • Administrator

I'm going to take a different tact...

DON'T BECOME COMPLACENT!  With a 2A-friendly President incoming and a GOP-controlled House and Senate, now is the time to keep pushing for gains in favor of the Second Amendment.  Push hard for the changes in legislation that we want to see!  The fight isn't over.  The fight is never over.

Reagan wasn't as strong of a 2A ally as folks think, but he was a smart man and he wisely observed that freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.

• Like 10
  • Admin Team

Scarcity and perceived scarcity are well studied when it comes to consumer behavior.  Gun owners have been operating under this paradigm of thinking things are going to be less available in the future for at least the last four years.  

Then, you have the fact that we have a ton of new gun owners in the market, and a lot of them have stockpiled more ammo then they will reasonably shoot in several years. Some may have sacrificed on other things to buy now perceiving that they may not be able to get it later.

There is a bubble in the gun store space right now. This is evidenced by the fact that there are so many stores out there that are nothing other than capital arbitrage opportunities. That is, you've got an owner that knows nothing and cares nothing about firearms - rather they've  got some money they need to put somewhere, and see gun owners as an easy way to move some product and make some good money.  Think about the stores you've been in where customer service is the furthest thing from their mind. You've got money to spend, but often leave without doing so because you have trouble even getting noticed. This is a store that is nothing other than in arbitrage play.  We've got several of them here in middle Tennessee.

I expect we're about to go into a dark period for gun stores.  Access to capital it's still really tight for small businesses. And, now gun stores are going to need to do something other than just show up and open their doors and expect people to trip over each other to buy stuff.

I expect the show the weekend after Thanksgiving over in Knoxville will show this as well. That's usually a pretty well attended show, and it wouldn't surprise me to see traffic down. 

All of this is to say, that if you've got a local gun shop that you really appreciate, find a way to go in and support them. They're going to need it.

• Like 6
On 11/18/2016 at 7:55 PM, MacGyver said:

Think about the stores you've been in where customer service is the furthest thing from their mind. You've got money to spend, but often leave without doing so because you have trouble even getting noticed. This is a store that is nothing other than in arbitrage play.  We've got several of them here in middle Tennessee.

I agree with this, but I am not sure about the rest.  I have heard a couple of anecdotal reports recently of people with leftist friends and family who acquired guns in anticipation of a ban (sort of like Mark Kelly, husband of Gabby Giffords, who tried to buy an AR) and who subsequently discovered that guns and shooting are actually quite cool.  More RKBA education and outreach to the misguided could make a difference.  Also, women make up a larger and larger percentage of gun buyers.  We could have an opportunity here for the next four years.

Edited by Whisper
14 hours ago, MacGyver said:

And, now gun stores are going to need to do something other than just show up and open their doors and expect people to trip over each other to buy stuff.

I think the best bet for survival is on gun stores that have a range on the property.  Hopefully they squirreled away or invested the excess from boom year profits to let them handle the downturn you (and I) see coming.

1 hour ago, btq96r said:

I think the best bet for survival is on gun stores that have a range on the property.  Hopefully they squirreled away or invested the excess from boom year profits to let them handle the downturn you (and I) see coming.

MacGyver nailed it. We have been in a big, fat bubble since Obama came along. I expect the ones that will survive are the Guns and Leathers of the world. They were here long before the bubble. They are pros.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, TGO David said:

I'm going to take a different tact...

DON'T BECOME COMPLACENT!  With a 2A-friendly President incoming and a GOP-controlled House and Senate, now is the time to keep pushing for gains in favor of the Second Amendment.  Push hard for the changes in legislation that we want to see!  The fight isn't over.  The fight is never over.

Reagan wasn't as strong of a 2A ally as folks think, but he was a smart man and he wisely observed that freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.

Yep. Keep pushing. We were a few votes away from the fight of our lives.

16 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Scarcity and perceived scarcity are well studied when it comes to consumer behavior.  Gun owners have been operating under this paradigm of thinking things are going to be less available in the future for at least the last four years.  

Then, you have the fact that we have a ton of new gun owners in the market, and a lot of them have stockpiled more ammo then they will reasonably shoot in several years. Some may have sacrificed on other things to buy now perceiving that they may not be able to get it later.

There is a bubble in the gun store space right now. This is evidenced by the fact that there are so many stores out there that are nothing other than capital arbitrage opportunities. That is, you've got an owner that knows nothing and cares nothing about firearms - rather they've  got some money they need to put somewhere, and see gun owners as an easy way to move some product and make some good money.  Think about the stores you've been in where customer service is the furthest thing from their mind. You've got money to spend, but often leave without doing so because you have trouble even getting noticed. This is a store that is nothing other than in arbitrage play.  We've got several of them here in middle Tennessee.

I expect we're about to go into a dark period for gun stores.  Access to capital it's still really tight for small businesses. And, now gun stores are going to need to do something other than just show up and open their doors and expect people to trip over each other to buy stuff.

I expect the show the weekend after Thanksgiving over in Knoxville will show this as well. That's usually a pretty well attended show, and it wouldn't surprise me to see traffic down. 

All of this is to say, that if you've got a local gun shop that you really appreciate, find a way to go in and support them. They're going to need it.

I'm not sure if your calling is a poet, philosopher, economist, or what, but your posts are all well worth reading.

• Like 6
  • Admin Team

Hey, thanks!

At the end of the day, I guess I'm really just an engineer who's interested in people and the ways in which things work. I'm long on this American experiment, and I suppose as a father, taxpayer and business owner I've got some skin in the game. 

The thing I absolutely love the most in life is getting to watch people do stuff they're awesome at - and I really don't care what it is.  Whether you're researching cancer vaccines or running conduit in perfect rows doesn't make a difference. I'm just as fascinated by someone who can run heavy equipment setting bridge trusses as I am in meeting with world leaders. It doesn't matter.  If you're good at, I'm interested.  

One of the things I really love about this board is getting to know individual member's stories.  Because truthfully, I'm certain we've got hundreds of really fascinating folks on here.  Frankly, that's why I encourage good debate.  I expect we've all got something we can learn from folks on here. 

• Like 6

Back in 1993, the Brady Bill and separately the Assault Weapons ban were enacted.  I was an opportunist and cashed in as a new FFL gun shop owner on the fear it sent through people.  I enjoyed very good successes, but within 2 years that bubble busted, and my sales dropped over 75%.  I couldn't make it!  Finished my college degree, and sold the business, and live the 8 to 5 life working professionally for industry.

Those were the best years when you can combine a hobby that you love with a business that you run.  I met a lot of good people that told hundreds of stories from guns, hunting, to personal sad stories.  We didn't have the internet back then, but I enjoyed researching sources for a special gun/part that one of customers were wanting.  Man, I miss being in the business at that level.  Running a business when it is your sole income taught me a lot that still spills over to this day. 

The takeaway from my story, I suspect many gun shops have enjoyed a good run.  Have made lots of money.  If they used that money to pay down debt maybe they will survive.  Hopefully they own their site instead of renting.  However, I suspect many will fail in the next 1-2 years due to over saturation of the market and no high demand.  Supply and Demand principals will always make or break you unless you are flushed with cash.

• Like 5