Looking for new puppy

ShamGlock

Hello TGO,

We had to let go of our best buddy this summer and since then all I've been hearing from the 7 year old is how bad he wants another pup. It took me a minute to let go of the hurt from putting down my pal this summer, but now I think it's time.

I'm quite partial to Golden Retrievers, but I haven't been able to find one that isn't $2000 and up. This is going to be a family dog, not a show pup. I do prefer AKC certified just for long term health reasons. Does anyone here know of a reputable breeder that is anywhere within a reasonable driving distance from Chattanooga?

Any recommendations for Golden Retrievers will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

If you can't find one soon, you can get in line for one from Passion for Golden's in Clarksville.  http://passionforgold.homestead.com/index.html .  I am getting one from her in January, but she told me it will be a small litter and she may not have enough puppies for those interested.  She only breeds a couple of times a year, but the dogs have health certifications for multiple generations.  That was one reason I have waited this long.  They aren't cheap either as the companion dogs are $1500.  I will get a second from the pound as I think there are plenty of great dogs out there who need homes.  I had a Golden as my very first dog when I was on my own and I have a very special place for them is the only reason I am getting one from the breeder.

There are also a couple of Golden Rescue's in southern and middle TN.

http://tvgrr.com/Adoptable-Goldens.html

http://www.adoptagoldennashville.org/orphans.html

• Like 1

+1 on a rescue.

All the papers in the world don't guarantee a healthy, trouble free dog. Not to mention the thousand(s) you spend on the dog, could go a long way towards vet bills IF anything were to pop up. 

*In full disclosure I should mention that we have fostered and re-homed several dogs in the past, so I'm a little biased. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, trentatron said:

+1 on a rescue.

All the papers in the world don't guarantee a healthy, trouble free dog. Not to mention the thousand(s) you spend on the dog, could go a long way towards vet bills IF anything were to pop up. 

*In full disclosure I should mention that we have fostered and re-homed several dogs in the past, so I'm a little biased. 

While I agree it doesn't guarantee anything, multiple generations of OFA clearance is about as close as you can get to a guarantee.  I worry most about Hip Displasia, but eyes are a close second.  You can spend a lot on any of it.  I do think many times, mutts have less problems that pure breads because of unscrupulous breeders.  If I am paying that kind of money, I require OFA clearances.  It's pretty amazing actually on some of the records available.  This litter has some lineage OFA clearances back to the 60's.

Don't get me wrong, I also believe in rescues 95% of the time.

Edited by Hozzie
2 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

While I agree it doesn't guarantee anything, multiple generations of OFA clearance is about as close as you can get to a guarantee.  I worry most about Hip Displasia, but eyes are a close second.  You can spend a lot on any of it.  I do think many times, mutts have less problems that pure breads because of unscrupulous breeders.  If I am paying that kind of money, I require OFA clearances.  

Will the dog be 100% companion, or will it have other "jobs"?

2 hours ago, Hozzie said:

While I agree it doesn't guarantee anything, multiple generations of OFA clearance is about as close as you can get to a guarantee.  I worry most about Hip Displasia, but eyes are a close second.  You can spend a lot on any of it.  I do think many times, mutts have less problems that pure breads because of unscrupulous breeders.  If I am paying that kind of money, I require OFA clearances.  It's pretty amazing actually on some of the records available.  This litter has some lineage OFA clearances back to the 60's.

I'll second what is said here.  in my opinion it's a pay now or pay later situation.  unfortunately the pay later can be more costly and emotionally taxing.  Be patient with your search and find the right breeder then the right pup.  Many breeders intentionally do not have litters this time of year due to puppies making the WORST Christmas gifts ever.  

• Like 2

Thank you all for the replies. There are some good places to start there. I'm very tempted by a few of the rescue goldens, but I'm on the road more for work these days and don't have the time required to rehab those beautiful pups. Also, I appreciate the recommendation for shelter dogs. I will probably go that route when we get ready for a second, but on this go round I'm firmly settled on another golden retriever.

2 hours ago, Gotthegoods said:

Mrs Monkeyman 2500 may be in the loop on rescues, she may even have a candidate for you

I only deal with mutts and I do believe this gentleman is set on a "pure bred". 

I would strongly urge you to do your research in the process and make certain that you deal with a reputable breeder. Sadly the AKC backs a lot of puppy mills and supports them by not cracking down on them. I'd avoid any breeders out of Oklahoma and Missouri if possible because of that. Make sure you have full access to both parents and can view the whole property. 

Otherwise I'd stick to my recommendation of adoption. Big Fluffy Dog Rescue out of Nashville might have a golden. My local rescue only adopts to the north-east now so. All my pups went north or went to TGO members and one went to a neighbor of TDR.

• Like 2

I love dogs but have had very bad luck with pure breeds. 50/50 dogs are the way to go. Short hair that doesn't shed like rain is a big plus. The best dog I have had the privilege of owning was a female that was 50% Chow 25 % Doberman and 25% German shepherd. She was about 55 lbs. and lived to be 16  

• Like 1

Check the Freedom Goldens website.  My daughter breeds English Creme Goldens in LaGrange Indiana.  Mother and Dad on premises and puppies are raised with my grandchildren.  She gets $1500 for the puppies.  I think she has a litter due anytime.

9 hours ago, MrsMonkeyMan2500 said:

I only deal with mutts and I do believe this gentleman is set on a "pure bred". 

I would strongly urge you to do your research in the process and make certain that you deal with a reputable breeder. Sadly the AKC backs a lot of puppy mills and supports them by not cracking down on them. I'd avoid any breeders out of Oklahoma and Missouri if possible because of that. Make sure you have full access to both parents and can view the whole property. 

Otherwise I'd stick to my recommendation of adoption. Big Fluffy Dog Rescue out of Nashville might have a golden. My local rescue only adopts to the north-east now so. All my pups went north or went to TGO members and one went to a neighbor of TDR.

Thank you for the recommendations. Yes, we are only looking at Golden Retrievers this time. We are thoroughly vetting the breeders we have come across so far, and I'm only interested in dealing locally where I can see the parents and be on site. Which is probably why I've had such a difficult time finding what I'm after.