Exhaust question for the gear heads.

I have a 2015 ram 2500 with the 5.7 hemi. I am looking to swap just the muffler and leave all other piping the same. I am thinking of using magnaflow but am trying to decide between a 14" and an 18". Any suggestions? Outlet is in the factory location behind right tire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, maroonandwhite said:

That's my problem. All the videos are either dual setup or 1500 rams. I like what I hear from the 14" just wondering if it will sound much difference from one outlet.

Don't some of the 1500s run the 5.7 as well?  It should sounds the same.

It will be slightly louder with the 2-1 than with the 2-2. The 2500 will have a single because contrary to popular belief 2-1 or 2-1-2 makes more power via scavenging and evening pulses than 2-2 (true dual).

You won't necessarily have the rumble that a dual exhaust would have, or not what a lot of folks expect. I would think that the 18" would sound very similar in a single that a 14" would on a dual.

Of course if you are changing just the muffler, sound is all it is about. There will be very little to no noticeable change anywhere else.

• Like 1
It will be slightly louder with the 2-1 than with the 2-2. The 2500 will have a single because contrary to popular belief 2-1 or 2-1-2 makes more power via scavenging and evening pulses than 2-2 (true dual).
You won't necessarily have the rumble that a dual exhaust would have, or not what a lot of folks expect. I would think that the 18" would sound very similar in a single that a 14" would on a dual.
Of course if you are changing just the muffler, sound is all it is about. There will be very little to no noticeable change anywhere else.

Basically just sound is what I'm after. I don't care for the dual out look on this specific truck. It's just way to quiet to have a hemi. [emoji5]️

I've heard numerous people online say that they wished they went with the 14" instead of the 18" so I believe I'm gonna go with that. It it's too loud I'm only out $100 or so and will just sell it.

I've been researching the same for my 1500 Hemi and have seen that some folks are not liking their muffler mod/swaps as much when the MDS engages. Supposedly it has a weird tone to it with some of the aftermarkets to include some of the magnaflow and flow master. Just an FYI worth investigating before pulling the trigger. 

I've been researching the same for my 1500 Hemi and have seen that some folks are not liking their muffler mod/swaps as much when the MDS engages. Supposedly it has a weird tone to it with some of the aftermarkets to include some of the magnaflow and flow master. Just an FYI worth investigating before pulling the trigger. 

Luckily the 2500s don't have mds [emoji5]️

11 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

That's about as thorough info as you can get ^^^