Thanksgiving 2016... what's cooking?

TGO David

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Raoul said:

Just took a big ole pork butt off the smoker. Big'un. Been going about 8 hours. Ya'll can have my portion of the turkey.

I'm with you.  I would rather do a pork butt but "tradition".  I'm ready to do a pork butt or brisket next week though!

• Like 1

Back when I was growing up before moving south at age 17 we never had turkey. I was an avid hunter at a very young age and my state always had an early Goose season and I was responsible for our dinner bird and every year we ate goose. Sometime a Canada goose and sometime it was a Snow goose but goose was on our table. When we moved to the Ranch/Farm with my grand father the Thanksgiving dinner most times was a country ham out of Grandfathers smoke house with all the trimmings. Like some have mentioned my family was not much on turkey so when I had my own family it was a country with all the trimmings.  Love the smell of a ham slow cooking all night in the oven. Makes the whole house smell great.............jmho 

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 5

We'll be heading over to my parents house tomorrow after my morning deer hunt tradition with my dad. My mom's doing the turkey, dressing, eggs, gravy, beets and the whole spread...:drool:.My wife's doing the banana  pudding, pumpkin and chocolate pies. I'm getting hungry already! Especially after reading and seeing some of these posts. Thankful for so many things this year...

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Fixed that pic for you.

Got my smoker coming up to temp right now.  Applewood, bit of cherry and a bit of hickory.  Spatchcocked 9lb turkey breast brined overnight, injected with a beer and butter marinade this morning, rubbed down with the Simon & Garfunkel wet rub this morning (Google it) and about ready to put it on the grate for the next few hours. :D

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Fourtyfive said:

My pics always link back to my library, I think I messed it up not knowing you fixed it. I can't seem to get the img link to work and have to use the direct.

I need to post a tutorial on this.  I'll work on that some.  Fixed the pic again though. :)

• Like 1

I will be throwing a Turkey breast on the Kamado Joe around noon.  Just a simple roast as my mom has to have gravy so the temp will be up a bit with a drip pan.  It's been brining for just over 24 hours so I should be good to go.  I 'll take a pic when I get it on the grill.

• Like 1

I won't be doing Thanksgiving until Saturday.  An old friend up at Fort Campbell who got home from a 9-month deployment just yesterday. His wife wisely decided to push things to the right a few days to let him shake off the time zone change and jet lag.  But, for myself, later this afternoon I'll be making a "Sunday Lunch" of sirloin tip roast, mashed potatoes, skillet corn, and Yorkshire pudding.  No need to skimp out. :P

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

I did a turkey on the BGE.  Injected with Tabasco.  I did it out of novelty one year when I was doing several turkeys, and now it's one of those things that I can't get away from. Everyone always wants it.

I also smoked a picnic ham while I had the smoker going. Same prep as a shoulder, but it still has the bone in so you get more dark meat.  That's where I'm going to be today.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

The injection marinade I made used Tabasco also.  I cut the salt, Worcestershire and Tabasco amounts in half though.  Salty things because I brined it overnight and didn't want it to be too salty.  Tabasco because some of my in-laws don't like very spicy foods.

Recipe here:

http://www.food.com/recipe/beer-n-butter-poultry-injection-241052