Scope opinion

I'm wanting a different scope(more magnification) on my AR with a 18" bull barrel. Ill mostly shoot between 100-200 yards but would like to try 300.  I have a Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18x40 that I'm not using on anything. How well does it do? Is it worth mounting for what I'm wanting? Ive also looked at a Nikon M-223 Rifle Scope 4-16x 42mm, but I'm not sure I'm gaining enough for the extra money. Any opinions on this scope? Any other one I should consider that is similar. 

To answer your question about the Bushnell 4.5-18, I have one on my "SPR", and shoot at 500 yards with it routinely. It's overkill on 18x for what you want to do, but then again there's some folks that think they need a 24x to shoot at 50 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And to expound on how it can negatively affect accuracy. 

With a low magnification you center the scope up on the target and pull the trigger. No rush or hurry. 

With a high magnification scope you line up on the target then you are forced to jerk the trigger. The reason is because with high magnification scope you can see your heartbeat in the scope. Even your pulse in your hand can be seen through a high magnification scope. 

Another reason high magnification scope can affect accuracy is when you can see the bullets holes as you shoot. Most people will get frustrated if they are that amazing three shot group go to help with a fourth shot. And along with that frustration comes a loss of concentration that can negatively affect group size.

When shooting groups I generally turn the magnification down until I cannot see the bullet holes at the distance I am shooting. 

In a perfect world one should fire between heartbeats and between the natural pause in your breathing.

And one more small tidbit, when shooting for groups never fire with your gun while resting on a hard surface of off a bipod. They can cause erratic harmonics that can negatively affect accuracy. I use bags or a cheap backpack with a pillow inside. Even resting your gun on your fist it better than resting it in a hard surface. 

• Like 2
On 11/24/2016 at 10:09 PM, gomer pyle said:

I'm wanting a different scope(more magnification) on my AR with a 18" bull barrel. Ill mostly shoot between 100-200 yards but would like to try 300.  I have a Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18x40 that I'm not using on anything. How well does it do? Is it worth mounting for what I'm wanting? Ive also looked at a Nikon M-223 Rifle Scope 4-16x 42mm, but I'm not sure I'm gaining enough for the extra money. Any opinions on this scope? Any other one I should consider that is similar. 

Meh, I say you have it, throw it on there and see if it is what YOU like. Me personally I go to the higher end of the magnification scale, works for me better than not seeing what I am doing. I use 18x at 200 yds, and can shoot 1 to sub moa groups. What works for one may not work for somebody else