Online auto seller/traders in Tennessee ?

tercel89

What is a good way to find a used truck or car online in Tennessee or Kentucky instead of Craigslist ? Kinda like some "car and truck trader forum" ? I am always hearing horror stories about Craigslist. I am looking for something similar that sells cars and trucks that doesn't have a crappy reputation like Craigslist. I know that looking in people's front yards is the best but that is really slim pickings when you're looking for something specific.

I have always had success with Craigslist buying cars, but one must be very vigilant.  Before I make any contact, I review the ad very closely from the email to the phone number, description, pricing, where it is located, and always stay away from the to good to be true items.  If the email is a yahoo or gmail type email, usually a red flag.  If the phone number does not start with one of Tennessee's area codes, red flag.  If the picture is taken with a different season than what we are currently in, red flag.  If the picture has beach sand or Palm trees in the picture, red flag.  If the ad is for an out of state item, or a town not in your Craigslist item list, red flag.  Then if the ad passes my initial test, then I make the contact for further vetting, which I vet more.  Finally, if all is a go, never go alone for the actual viewing. 

BTW, my mother in-law sold a $12K truck to someone from Alabama using Craigslist within 24 hours of her listing it in Knoxville's Craiglist.  When I heard that someone was driving up from Alabama with cash for the truck, I told her scam, scam, and more scam.  One day later, I was eating crow, crow, and more crow. 

Edited by runco
  • Like 1

Have you tried "cars.com"? You can search for new or used and it has a very detailed filtering system you can use to really narrow the search if you are looking for something specific. (Distance, new/used, dealer/private, model, trim, color, etc.) The bulk of the cars are from dealers but there are some individual sellers.

Like runco , I've had success buying cars on CL (but then again, how many people other than me are actually looking for a European car with a blown head gasket?:P )   You can also try eBay using a radius search and you can try Carfax.  I highly recommend spending the $ to get a Carfax report.  Unlike some sellers, it doesn't lie.  Thanks to it, there's 2 cars I didn't buy. :pleased: 

Here's a couple more:

TN surplus vehicle auction (not much presently) http://auctionsbygov.com/General/AuctionDetail/AuctionID/10889/CategoryID/1370

Ritchason Auctioneers on Dec 3 (I-40 exit 245) has some cars and trucks (along with excavating equipment, trailers, skid steers, etc)

http://ritchason.hibid.com/catalog/89722/dec-3--2016---construction-equipment-auction/?cat=235

http://ritchason.hibid.com/catalog/89722/dec-3--2016---construction-equipment-auction/?cat=201

I have bought and sold a lot of stuff from CL. I have had good experiences and less than good. But no bad ones. 

I am also armed whenever I go to neutral well lit and public meeting places. Walmart is almost always the best. I never meet someone at my home. I have met a lot of folks at theirs though. 

I have bought/sold a dozen cars and bikes off of CL. I have accompanied people on about another dozen transactions. Never go alone or unarmed, although I have never needed to be accompanied or armed on any of my transactions. But better safe than sorry.

Sure, I have had a lot of time wasted by kids tire kicking, or 'needing to get mommy's permission' to buy/sell, but I have also gotten a lot of stuff at a price well worth it. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

I have bought and sold a lot of stuff from CL. I have had good experiences and less than good. But no bad ones. 

I am also armed whenever I go to neutral well lit and public meeting places. Walmart is almost always the best. I never meet someone at my home. I have met a lot of folks at theirs though. 

I have bought/sold a dozen cars and bikes off of CL. I have accompanied people on about another dozen transactions. Never go alone or unarmed, although I have never needed to be accompanied or armed on any of my transactions. But better safe than sorry.

Sure, I have had a lot of time wasted by kids tire kicking, or 'needing to get mommy's permission' to buy/sell, but I have also gotten a lot of stuff at a price well worth it. 

That's almost word for word what I was going to post. Especially this: "I am also armed whenever I go to neutral well lit and public meeting places.".  I've been using CL for close to 10 years now and have sold/bought cars, motorcycles and more "stuff" than I could remember. I am very careful and also use a vetting process before I think about making contact. If anything sounds fishy or I don't like the attitude or demeanor of the seller/buyer, I refuse to meet and cancel out. I too never allow a meeting to occur at my home, I often go early to the meeting location and scout out the other party before they know I'm there. Might sound like I overdo it, but we all know the stories and it can be dangerous. I have gotten some good deals though.

BTW, if you live in Davidson Co. a law was recently passed that you can't sell your car/truck in your own front yard anymore.

Most likely some liberal pushed this one through.

I heard of this and haven't seen the government's demands in writing but your own driveway may be safe.....maybe.

• Like 1
On 11/26/2016 at 0:49 PM, kieefer said:

BTW, if you live in Davidson Co. a law was recently passed that you can't sell your car/truck in your own front yard anymore.

I heard of this and haven't seen the government's demands in writing but your own driveway may be safe.....maybe.

Reason # 438 not to live in Davidson Co. ... Not that you actually need the other 437 other reasons.

• Like 1
On 11/26/2016 at 0:49 PM, kieefer said:

There is and has been for a while a municipal code forbidding parking of a motor vehicle on the grass at any residential location. It has nothing to do with selling the vehicle though. It applies whether the vehicle is up for sale or not. Codes Enforcement doesn't just drive around looking for that kind of thing though. A neighbor would have to complain, then they'd come out. If you weren't a jackhole about it, they'd probably just ask you to move it and go take a 2 hour lunch. I wouldn't expect a fine to be handed out until their 2nd visit.

16.24.330 B - Can't park/store an inoperable vehicle in a visible location

16.24.330 K 5 - Can't park in the grass.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

There is and has been for a while a municipal code forbidding parking of a motor vehicle on the grass at any residential location. It has nothing to do with selling the vehicle though. It applies whether the vehicle is up for sale or not. Codes Enforcement doesn't just drive around looking for that kind of thing though. A neighbor would have to complain, then they'd come out. If you weren't a jackhole about it, they'd probably just ask you to move it and go take a 2 hour lunch. I wouldn't expect a fine to be handed out until their 2nd visit.

16.24.330 B - Can't park/store an inoperable vehicle in a visible location

16.24.330 K 5 - Can't park in the grass.

Here's the story but I can't find the ordinance or any more details.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/33719064/selling-cars-in-front-yards-now-illegal-in-davidson-county

2 minutes ago, kieefer said:

Here's the story but I can't find the ordinance or any more details.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/33719064/selling-cars-in-front-yards-now-illegal-in-davidson-county

Do they not have bigger things to worry about than cars for sale in yards? I have never seen it ruin a neighborhood. I can understand if the yard looks like a picked over junk yard. In my eyes, I pay for my property and short of real criminal activity, I should be able to do as I wish

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Do they not have bigger things to worry about than cars for sale in yards? I have never seen it ruin a neighborhood. I can understand if the yard looks like a picked over junk yard. In my eyes, I pay for my property and short of real criminal activity, I should be able to do as I wish

You would think so but being we are in the big city which keeps leaning further left at each election and has more money than sense I found nothing surprises me anymore and just shake my head wishing my wife would agree to move to Watertown or better yet Liberty. 

Take for instance the recently added bike lanes on OHB between Andrew Jackson Prky and Lebanon Rd. I've been traveling this section of road almost daily for the past 30yrs and could count on my hand the number of bike-commuters I've seen on it. Who the heck wants ride a bike this close to exhaust fumes anyway?

Being a avid bicyclist, OHB would be my last route option to pick but what does our Gov. do? Instead of linking the Greenways at Kohls (Target, YMCA area) and Percy Priest Lake access by using "State" land (Cloverbottom) and widening Stewards Ferry (which is badly needed) and Central Pike (also in need of widening) they take the most busiest 4-lane road in the area and take up turning lanes to add bike lanes.....WTF!

Oh, I know they rather us ride bikes to work and drive electric cars but from the looks of I40 east and west between 6am to 7pm I'd say they got bigger problems than building bike lanes in this area......but what the hell, it's only our tax dollars and "LOOK" how "GREEN" Nashville is.

BTW, how hard would it be to time the damn traffic lights on OHB between Central Pike and Lebanon Rd so YOU DON'T HAVE TO STOP AT EVERY DAMN ONE OF THEM!!!!! :mad:

Mark these words, they will soon be short on funds to help the poor and to feed the children and they will need to raise our taxes this next year, no doubt the income-tax-talk will raise it's ugly head once again.

Shall I go on? :censored: