9mm vs ballistic gel

bubbiesdad

Lets see where this thread goes (hopefully it can stay semi-civilized...

Would you rather have more power or more rounds?  Honest question.  My EDC is a compact .45 with 13 rounds, but it's a lot easier for follow up shots with a 9mm, probably two, if not three times faster.

Would you rather have more power or more rounds?  Honest question.  My EDC is a compact .45 with 13 rounds, but it's a lot easier for follow up shots with a 9mm, probably two, if not three times faster.

I'll take a rifle if I want power. If I can't get it done with a Glock 19 and 33 rounds of Speer Gold Dot and a Shield 9 with 16 rounds I'm in a world of hurt. Penetration leads to blood loss and dropping blood pressure which are the things that cause people to stop when shot with handguns. Quicker follow up shots and equal performance make 9mm a no brainer. It's not like we are using FMJ or RNL.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have been curious about this. Does anyone have any real world experience or reports of the 5.7x28? The only place I could think it would have been used is at the Fort Hood shooting. Such a light round that goes so fast should make a nasty wound but I don't think that what civilians have available would have the expansion and penetration necessary to have it be an effective self defense round.

2 hours ago, Sam1 said:

More rounds. 

The "more power" argument with pistol rounds is a wash for me once a threshold is reached, and 9mm rounds have advanced to where they're above that threshold based on testing.  Agree with @shotgunshooter when he comments on more power calling for a rifle.  I've always looked at a pistol as ending an immediate threat in front of me, or allowing me to escape and get to a rifle. 

Ease of follow-on shots if needed is a nice secondary bonus, along with cost per round for training, and marksmanship skill with a 9mm vs. a .45 ACP for me far superior.  Just see too many benefits not to carry a 9mm in today's day and age, in my mind.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, shotgunshooter said:

I have been curious about this. Does anyone have any real world experience or reports of the 5.7x28? The only place I could think it would have been used is at the Fort Hood shooting. Such a light round that goes so fast should make a nasty wound but I don't think that what civilians have available would have the expansion and penetration necessary to have it be an effective self defense round.

Fort Hood shooting is the only one I know of. Having said that, it is very telling of the effectiveness of the caliber. All hits made with it were fight stoppers. Even the ones that weren't center mass. Some of the extremities shots or lower torso shots put down their target and out of the fight. He wasn't using black tip (LE/MIL only AP rounds) either, best I recall it was blue tip (civilian legal, widely available). Also Mexican drug cartels would be known to carry it either if it wasn't effective or a fancy .22mag.

I really like the 5.7 for defense. It's a true shame we don't have a wider range of pistols chambered for it. All we have is the FN and at $1000 for a full size pistol, it's going to be hard to get much market penetration and widespread acceptance, much less lots of of ballistic testing.

2 hours ago, JReedEsq said:

Sure doesn't, but I am just pointing out that every person's EDC is always a compromise.  No offense intended. 

Are you talking about carrying a rifle?

I will say I don't compromise when I carry. Every handgun I own and carry is full size. 9mm 15+ or .45 13+ rounds. I understand why people like small guns but I've watched to many videos to really think 5-7 rounds will do the job, especially in a high stress situation. 

No Offense taken by the way.