Commisserate About Change Here

5 minutes ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

If you were used to the previous look, go to the bottom and click on theme, when the menu comes up click TGO Dev and you will be back to old theme.

Thanks, I clicked on Theme and then tried TGO Dev and TGO Darker. I prefer TGO darker. Thanks for letting me know. This is acceptable. 

11 hours ago, jgradyc said:

I only read TGO on my laptop. Wow. This is painfully bright!  I don't like this at all. 

EDIT:  I'll play around with my brightness and contrast, but it works now for all the other sites I visit.

It's not a problem with your computer, it's the default "theme". Like you, I have no other issues with any other website that I visit.

If you go down to the very bottom left of your screen and change the theme you will find it is a big improvement.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

It's not a problem with your computer, it's the default "theme". Like you, I have no other issues with any other website that I visit.

If you go down to the very bottom left of your screen and change the theme you will find it is a big improvement.

OMG TGO IS THE BRIGHTEST WEB SITE I VISIT ANYWHERE ON THE WEBZ!!! :panic:

Seriously, adjust your monitor some.  There is a big difference between the appearance on my MacBook, iPhone and Samsung tablet and the appearance on my Windows 10 PC with Asus monitors *IF* I do not adust the Asus monitors so that the gamma is lower.  Their setting out of the box is "hot" which blows the highlights out of everything.

I am sure that all sounds like blah blah blah blah to someone who has a personal preference for darker color schemes, but it is what it is.  TGO uses more dark colors than most web sites out there.  Our "Darker" theme is a good compromise for someone who surfs a lot in darker rooms with minimal ambient lighting beyond their computer screen.

And that's bad for your eyes, just like your mom told you it was. ;)

Honestly I tried to adjust the contract on my little ASUS and I can't. I searched in the settings and that feature doesn't exist. I can adjust the lightness/darkness but that is it. I was just pointing out that I've not had any issues on any other website. All is good though as the dark theme works just fine.

The rest of the changes you made appear to be just fine as well. I have no complaints now!

Interesting... the light/dark function key on my Dell laptop don't seem to work. I've tried them with the Ctrl, Shift, Windows, and Fn key.  I can change brightness by going to the Control Panel but that seems to be a lot of work.  I've changed my theme to TGO Darker as a couple of people have PM'd me. Thanks. I'm okay with the change now.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Honestly I tried to adjust the contract on my little ASUS and I can't. I searched in the settings and that feature doesn't exist. I can adjust the lightness/darkness but that is it. I was just pointing out that I've not had any issues on any other website. All is good though as the dark theme works just fine.

The rest of the changes you made appear to be just fine as well. I have no complaints now!

My Asus monitors drive me nuts at times so it's not just you.  Is yours a laptop or a separate Asus monitor?

I am working on the TGO Darker theme this morning and am going to try to make a darker version of the new theme as well.

I was just about to ask my wife what in the world she had done to the iPad, then I came across this post...probably saved me an ass chewin.

I guess I'm a creature of habit because I never like change, which is why I hate getting new phones and computers and having to figure out their newfangled layout. That being said, I always come around eventually and accept whatever change as my new "normal". And that's usually when it changes again lol. 

I do like the modern "clean" look of this layout TGO David, and I'm sure I'll get used to it. I certainly do appreciate all the effort you put into keeping the site up to date and running smooth, by far my favorite site on the interwebs. 

One thing I see different, mark forum as read is now mark site as read (top right corner of the page). I didn't catch the wording change and marked everything as read...

Not a big deal, can still mark each section as read by clicking the chat icons to the left of the forum section heading.

ETA - above is referring to the mobile version. Desktop has both mark forum and mark site as read options.

Edited by jonathon1289

Ok, my take on it; overall not bad, I like the new contrast between the post and the quoted text in the post, makes it easier to follow the conversation.  I miss the "unread content" and "mark site read" links on the bottom, it makes you scroll up to the top to select one or the other but the "back button" refreshes the unread content page so no big issue.  As far as changes, I don't mind as long as it's to fix something and not to change for the sake of changing or some other aesthetic issue that does not affect everyone.  Having a couple different themes is better than constant changes to the main theme IMO.

1 hour ago, Omega said:

Ok, my take on it; overall not bad, I like the new contrast between the post and the quoted text in the post, makes it easier to follow the conversation.  I miss the "unread content" and "mark site read" links on the bottom, it makes you scroll up to the top to select one or the other but the "back button" refreshes the unread content page so no big issue. 

Plus 1 for not liking the absence of the "unread content" at the bottom of the page in the default theme.  I notice it is on the darker theme but I'm not too crazy about that one when using an Ipad.

22 hours ago, TGO David said:

My Asus monitors drive me nuts at times so it's not just you.  Is yours a laptop or a separate Asus monitor?

I am working on the TGO Darker theme this morning and am going to try to make a darker version of the new theme as well.

I use the grey theme because the room is usually dark; it looks fine. Please do not make another nasty looking black gun site that we can’t read (or please make it an option the rest of us won’t have to deal with). biggrin.gif

I’m still getting use to the software change. I still haven’t found a way to have a one bottom click to show threads I am participating in whether read or not, like the old software. But I am okay with the new software.