Venison Recipes. What's Your Favorite?

When I've had venison on the past, I usually either used the 'ol grill for steaks and the crock pot for roasts. I don't have a smoker but I've used my grill to do that at times so I've got those 3 covered I think. Since I've now got around 40lbs of meat in my freezer (and hoping for more!) I thought maybe we could share some of our favorites here. One of mine is potatoes and onions quartered, baby carrots whole, a venison roast all covered with water. Bring 'er to a boil and add some Natures Seasoning and a quarter cup of worchester sauce. Cut her back to low and  cook in a crock pot all day. Also have a pot of pintos that finish cooking about the same time as the roast with cornbread and some good 'ol southern hot chow chow. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Climber said:

I have cooked it a lot of different ways and my favorite is still fried steaks.  We usually cut it in a small strips and hit it with a tenderizer a few times.  Lightly season, roll in some flour and fry until done.  Can't beat it!

That sounds really good. We do country style steaks pretty often. Thanks. I'll give your recipe a try.

Just got an electric smoker, sorry everyone, don't hate me too much.  This weekend, I smoked 2 backstraps from A deer my brother killed last week, they never got frozen, were in the fridge a couple days.  I coated them both in a light layer of mustard so the dry rub will stick and then smothered them in some Dillow Dust from Larue Tactical.  I put 2 bottles of Sam Adams in the liquid tray to keep them moist and used mesquite chips, some at the beginning and some more about half way through.  I cooked them at 200 for 4 hours and they were great!  I am trying to experiment with venison and I am trying to like it.  Hopefully this is the start of more good things to come, because it really was good!

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Climber said:

I have cooked it a lot of different ways and my favorite is still fried steaks.  We usually cut it in a small strips and hit it with a tenderizer a few times.  Lightly season, roll in some flour and fry until done.  Can't beat it!

This sounds really good, will have to give it a try.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, homeagain said:

And when you're out of the tender stuff, braise a whole shoulder in beef stock and red wine, with garlic, onions, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, salt, and pepper till it falls off the bone. 

Whoa!!!!  That sounds awesome!  I'll be trying that one soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Easy Crock Pot Deer Roast

Deer roast (Pack of steaks will do as well)

Worcestershire Sauce

Soy Sauce

Garlic Salt

Season Salt

1 pkg Lipton Dry Onion Soup Mix

1 can Cream of Mushroom soup

1 Medium Onion, sliced

Cut meat into serving sized pieces. Sprinkle very generously with season salt, garlic salt, soy sauce, and worcestershire sauce. Add cream of mushroom soup, and pkg of dry onion soup mix, and stir all together. Top with oinion slices. Cook on low 8 hours and enjoy!

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 3

Grilling some in about 2 hours.  They spent all this morning and afternoon in a beer bath (Yuengling).  Now in a marinade of garlic sauce and Worcestershire with a few dabs of off the shelve BBQ sauce.  Will cut them thinner and brush on while on the grill.  Baked taters to compliment

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Easy Crock Pot Deer Roast

Deer roast (Pack of steaks will do as well)

Worcestershire Sauce

Soy Sauce

Garlic Salt

Season Salt

1 pkg Lipton Dry Onion Soup Mix

1 can Cream of Mushroom soup

1 Medium Onion, sliced

Cut meat into serving sized pieces. Sprinkle very generously with season salt, garlic salt, soy sauce, and worcestershire sauce. Add cream of mushroom soup, and pkg of dry onion soup mix, and stir all together. Cook on low 8 hours and enjoy!

Sounds great!  I just got a roast out this afternoon to thaw in the fridge. I'll be trying that out tomorrow. Thanks!

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Rightwinger said:

Grilling some in about 2 hours.  They spent all this morning and afternoon in a beer bath (Yuengling).  Now in a marinade of garlic sauce and Worcestershire with a few dabs of off the shelve BBQ sauce.  Will cut them thinner and brush on while on the grill.  Baked taters to compliment

Now that sounds GOOD!  I can see this in my very near future for supper. Thanks!

Ok...I started a roast tonight. I'm slow cooking it in an electric skillet. I can use less liquid that way. I have some waterless cookware I've had for ages and it's fantastic for this kind of cooking. I browned the roast on one side, then the other and added Natures Seasoning to each side. I added just a little water to make a nice juice and turned it down so the lid will lock down tight. It will simmer until in the morning then I'll add some onion, baby carrots and red potatoes cut in half. A touch of Worcestershire sauce, pepper, a tad bit of salt and cook for about 3 more hours on simmer with the lid locked down again. More pics to come.  :drool:  Alright...suppers ready!  Well, actually its over now. Me and the wife had a great meal. She loved it as much as I did. Last 3 pics are new.

Deer Roast1 small.JPG

Deer Roast2 small.JPG

Deer Roast3 small.JPG

Deer Roast4 smal.jpg

Deer Roast5 small.jpg

Deer Roast6 small.jpg

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 1

Ground Venison Vegetable Soup:

1.5-2lbs Ground Venison

4 carrots, diced

4 celery ribs, chopped

1 onion, chopped

4 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces

1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce

1 (14.5 ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed

1 (15 ounce) can peas, undrained

1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed

1 (15 ounce) can green beans, drained and rinsed

ground black pepper to taste

1/8 teaspoon ground thyme

1 bay leaf, or more to taste

1/4 cup water, as needed (I substituted some spicy V8)

Directions:

Crumble ground venison into a stockpot over medium-high heat; cook and stir until venison is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink, 7 to 10 minutes.

Stir carrots, celery, and onion into the ground venison; cook and stir until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes, tomato sauce, crushed whole tomatoes, undrained peas, corn, and green beans to the pot; season with black pepper. Stir mixture until evenly mixed. Add thyme and bay leaf to the pot. Pour 1/4 cup water over the mixture if needed to moisten mixture, replenishing as needed while cooking.

Bring soup to a simmer, place a cover on the pot, and cook, stirring regularly, until potatoes are tender, about 1 hour.

Pretty tasty!

Venison Vegetable Soup.jpg

• Like 1

Chile Dip

Serves 2-4

• 2lb Ground Venison
  • Pinch of Sea Salt 
  • Pinch Garlic powder  (adjust to taste)
  • Half pinch Cumin
  • 2-4 slices of mid size yellow onion (around the middle), finely chopped 
  • 3 jalapeños, finely chopped; adjust for heat
  • 1 can of stewed tomatoes, again finely chopped  

Brown venison in skillet add onions and jalapeño and simmer until onions go clear.  Add tomatoes and 1/4 to 1/2 can of water, sprinkle spices a little at a time tasting as you go.  You want it a bit on the drier side, but not too dry,  so add water slowly.  Serve with chips as a dip, or with flour tortillas in a burrito.  

Edited by Omega
Correct autocorrect

I have made it like beef bourguignon except substitution cubed up venison for the beef.  That is really good but I can't resist playing around with recipes so I have 'evolved' it a little.  The last time I made it I did it like this:

First, the cooking method - I have dug a fire pit in my yard and set up a 'cross beam' pot and grill hanger (made out of saplings) as part of an outdoor, pseudo-pioneer kitchen.  For this one, I hung a cast iron pot with a lid over the fire.  It should work on the stove top or starting on the stove top and then transferring to the oven,  as well.

I started out by sauteing some thinly sliced onion (about one, whole medium to large onion depending on how well you like onion) and about three cloves of garlic, finely minced, in vegetable oil.  I then added the cubed up venison - just cut it into about the same size as you would for stew, not too small - and browned it.  Then I added a can of tomato paste.  A lot of folks may not realize that continuing to saute in order to allow the tomato paste to caramelize (it will darken in color) a little really adds flavor and helps the flavors blend so you don't get that 'raw tomato' taste standing apart from everything else (that applies to soups, stews or anything you might use tomato paste in) and really helps to give what Emeril Lagasse calls 'structure' to the whole thing.  Now for the best part.  Instead of burgundy wine or something similar at this point I added a couple of beers.  Ales, lagers or pilsners probably work best although adding a stout would make it a little more like Irish stew, I suppose.  If you have a couple of beers that have been around a while and/or that might have gone a little flat  - say, maybe you had your growler filled a week and a half ago and haven't drank all of it - this is a good way to use them.  Now just let it simmer, stirring occasionally, until the meat is fall-apart tender.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1