GATLINBURG on FIRE

chances R

1 hour ago, SWJewellTN said:

Yes, but unless they are funding the construction themselves the building is not "theirs" until closed.

Exactly... unless the homeowners just wrote a check to build the house, SOMEBODY has an insurance policy of some sort on that investment.

Edited by dcloudy777
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, dcloudy777 said:

Exactly... unless the homeowners just wrote a check to build the house, SOMEBODY should have an insurance policy of some sort on that investment.

FTFY. Whether or not there actually is a policy in place, and if so, whether or not it's adequate to cover the loss (without lawyers having to get involved) is the question.  

New first and another body, many people still unaccounted for. The reports keep getting worse. I hope and pray that no more have perished. 

ive got a buddy in Wears Valley that I haven't heard from, 70+ homes there alone. 

I'm 37 miles from Pigeon Forge proper and my rain gauge shows 5 inches of rain in the last 2 days, that's gotta help with the fires.

The rain has just about stopped here in the Walden's Creek area. The rain has helped out a great deal. Only an observer here there is clearly a big difference in smoke and visuals no plumes of smoke. I hope and pray that this catastrophe is over. Let's pray for the folks that were displaced and lost everything.

• Like 2

I lived in Sevier county for over 30 years, and have lots of family there.  I think my family and extended family are okay.  I went through a house fire when I was 20, my parents home.  I compare it closely to a death of a family member.  Its terrible to go through that experience.  The smell, the damage, the loss of personal unreplaceable items. 

I assume in today's times the homes and structures had insurance, but the real concern I have outside loss of life and injury, what about all of those lost jobs.  People who cleaned the cabins, people who worked in the offices, people who worked in maintenance, people who worked in Sales, etc.  On the other hand, big boom for construction, clean up, and alike.   I assume scammers are heading there in groves as well. 

19 minutes ago, runco said:

I lived in Sevier county for over 30 years, and have lots of family there.  I think my family and extended family are okay.  I went through a house fire when I was 20, my parents home.  I compare it closely to a death of a family member.  Its terrible to go through that experience.  The smell, the damage, the loss of personal unreplaceable items. 

I assume in today's times the homes and structures had insurance, but the real concern I have outside loss of life and injury, what about all of those lost jobs.  People who cleaned the cabins, people who worked in the offices, people who worked in maintenance, people who worked in Sales, etc.  On the other hand, big boom for construction, clean up, and alike.   I assume scammers are heading there in groves as well. 

Luckily all mine live farther down the mountain.

Yeah probably 90% there work in hotels/rentals, food service, retail, or Dollywood. All those gonna be hurt even if the building is ok. Visitors will be down for sure over Winterfest. That means less hours for workers at the remaining places. Gonna be a hard Christmas all around.

28 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Luckily all mine live farther down the mountain.

Sorry to see some of this reached all the way down to Wears Valley, 70 homes destroyed there.  I probably delivered to any number of them back during my FedEx Ground stint.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
29 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Sorry to see some of this reached all the way down to Wears Valley, 70 homes destroyed there.  I probably delivered to any number of them back during my FedEx Ground stint.

- OS

It is almost unimaginable how far it reached. News said 15,653 acres and it is only about 10% contained tonight. So who knows how much more it will get. 

• Moderators
interesting fire info - http://burnsafetn.org/pdfs/FireSituationUpdate.pdf
The word "arson" dominates the list.

TN Fire Prevention / Burnsafe site - http://burnsafetn.org/

Yeah, down here in the Chattanooga area we had some ~20 year old running around starting some fires. Most people wouldn't obviously but one person can do a lot of damage before, if ever, they get caught. My fear was that this guy would inspire a few copycats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fire fighters have done a great job. I don't know what we'd have done without them. Now it's time to look to the future. With a bit of the Smokey Mountains, Gatlinburg, and Pigeon Forge burnt to the grown, a lot of the visitors that would have come to Eastern Tennessee are going to go elsewhere to spend their vacation dollars. How are those that depend on the industry going to survive?

3 hours ago, MacGyver said:

That lady is a class act. 

Dad went to school with her. Even though he was poor, he said they were the dirt poor family in school. Nice to see that she still appreciates home and uses her success to give back. I know I got a cash from her foundation when I graduated high school there. It was her Buddy program to help more people finish high school. So she has a long record of helping out.  It is a good start on getting peoples lives back together. It will still be a long uphill battle for some though.

My wife and I are 70 years old.  Both of us have been going on vacations to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge for over 60 years.  We have many fond memories of these trips with relatives (many who have passed away).  We have reservations in Pigeon Forge for 4 nights right after News Years day at a hotel not affected by the fires.  We can't decide whether to go or not.  It would be really depressing to see so many places that we have visiting for over a half century gone.  Can't decide what to do.