GATLINBURG on FIRE

chances R

38 minutes ago, A516 said:

My wife and I are 70 years old.  Both of us have been going on vacations to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge for over 60 years.  We have many fond memories of these trips with relatives (many who have passed away).  We have reservations in Pigeon Forge for 4 nights right after News Years day at a hotel not affected by the fires.  We can't decide whether to go or not.  It would be really depressing to see so many places that we have visiting for over a half century gone.  Can't decide what to do.

I wouldn't cancel. That would be the worst thing you could do for the area. Not taking away from Dolly's generosity, but there's a practical reason for her to help all those people. She wants to keep them around. The old places that are gone will be replaced with new places.

• Like 4
53 minutes ago, A516 said:

My wife and I are 70 years old.  Both of us have been going on vacations to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge for over 60 years.  We have many fond memories of these trips with relatives (many who have passed away).  We have reservations in Pigeon Forge for 4 nights right after News Years day at a hotel not affected by the fires.  We can't decide whether to go or not.  It would be really depressing to see so many places that we have visiting for over a half century gone.  Can't decide what to do.

While I agree it might be depressing, if you truly want to help then you should go. Many people in that area have jobs that depend on tourism. If everyone cancels their reservations it only hurts them further.

Go, laugh, love, spend money and enjoy yourselves.

• Like 3

I'm sure if there is an all clear to begin going to both towns by all means go. I'm quite sure that all the small businesses that survived this terrible situation will appreciate having you there. Now is not the time to turn away but the time to turn forward and help those that you can with your tourist business. I have already spoke with my daughter and Son in law about planning a trip as soon as we can make arrangements. Every little bit helps them move forward...............jmho

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Dustbuster said:

Dolly has a foundation setup that will donate 1000.00 per month to families that have lost their homes to the fire.They will receive help until they are back on their feet per dolly.

If anyone wants you can donate as well to that, heres the url: http://dollywoodfoundation.org/

Yep we made a donation last night. Rather give it through Dolly than the Red Cross.

• Like 7

"Rather give it through Dolly than the Red Cross." Jeb48 quote

I would also make a donation to Dolly long before the Red Cross. I learned back on 9/11 just how bad the Red Cross is operated at the upper levels. There was multi millions of dollars donated to the Red Cross but very little of it made it to the people that were hurt and it was shortly after that the CEO of the Red Cross quit  and left and so did a very large sum of money that was never accounted for.

I also saw on the local news that hundreds of people showed up to donate blood at all the Red Cross locations in Nashville and 1000's of units of blood were donated. Far more then the Red Cross had room to store. The hospitals of which Nashville and surrounding area has many offered to take any blood that the Red Cross had no room to store because they did have room to store the excess for them. They were not going to use the blood but store it. They would have purchased any of the blood they used that was stored  for the Red Cross but rather than allowing the hospitals to take and store it the Red Cross allowed all that wonderful lfe saving blood to spoil and then disposed of it. That was it for me and the Red Cross. I have not given any more blood or money to them.........................:mad:

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 2

I too will not give to the Red Cross. Look at all the money they received to rebuild houses in Haiti. They were supposed to build thousands and at last count had built 6. Whew that really helps. Be cautious where you give you donations, some only pass along a small portion to the people in need.

The news reports seem to me to insulate from reality......Much worse than could ever be relayed over the TV.  Have a good friend who owns a very nice rental cabin.  Large log construction, large pine furniture and trim inside.....3 stories.  Located across from the mayor's home which was destroyed, and 3 dead discovered in the rubble the road below.  

So I accompanied them today to see what was left.....nothing.  Unbelievable devastation.  Homes nothing but a collection of metal and ashes in their footprint.  Foundations only.  Charred landscape.  Wires down across roads still.  Massive debris.  Abandoned vehicles burnt out.  Utility workers and trucks everywhere plus multiple LEO and Fire Dept from across the state working.  Talking to others with amazing stories of survival with only about 15 minutes of time, if that.  Very fortunate it didn't happen in the middle of the night.  The clean up will have to occur first on a massive scale similar to other disaster areas before the rebuild can happen.  God Bless and prayers for all affected and working in this disaster.

One thing I see missing in the news, where is the looting, where is the chaos, where is the blame the government!

No you will not see these things, just people caring for other people.  People are hurting and those hurting people are living amongst loving and caring people!

Edited by runco
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, runco said:

One thing I see missing in the news, where is the looting, where is the chaos, where is the blame the government!

No you will not see these things, just people caring for other people.  People are hurting and those hurting people are living amongst loving and caring people!

That is what makes me proud to be a Tennessean.  

• Like 3
12 hours ago, runco said:

Well this ain't New Orleans ;)   Unfortunately, the scammers will show up.  Look out for the out of state contractors saying they'll take care of everything.   Years ago when the storms came thru here with golfball size hail, some contractor from TX shows up and says he's gonna go up on my roof because more than likely I need a new one and I won't have to pay a dime cus he'll take care of the insurance paperwork.  I told him to get the hell off my property. :grouchy: 

• Like 1
Check this out...
http://www.wbir.com/mb/news/local/lawmakers-address-decision-to-evacuate-gatlinburg/362066154
Love how the mayor jumps and and shuts her up. 

I got in an argument with Steve Crabtree the former station manager at WATE in Knoxville because he thought she was right and justified. He says they had 48-72 hours notice and should have evacuated earlier. It really makes me mad when these reporters come in after the fact and "criticize through questions" how catastrophes are handled. You think if we knew the town was gonna burn down they wouldn't have evacuated earlier. I think they deserve a commendation for saving so many. If this happened at 2-3am there would have been massive loss of life
  • Like 1

The news medias are all Monday Morning Quarterbacks and never get anything right and that is why I quit listening to them. I think it is remarkable that more people were not killed and I credit the city officials and Emergency personnel for their decisions for saving so many lives...............jmho

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Lumber_Jack said:

I got in an argument with Steve Crabtree the former station manager at WATE in Knoxville because he thought she was right and justified. He says they had 48-72 hours notice and should have evacuated earlier. It really makes me mad when these reporters come in after the fact and "criticize through questions" how catastrophes are handled. You think if we knew the town was gonna burn down they wouldn't have evacuated earlier. I think they deserve a commendation for saving so many. If this happened at 2-3am there would have been massive loss of life

The whole thing happened way too fast, and much faster than anyone expected. Cell service is very spotty so even if alerts had gone out sooner, there's a very strong chance plenty of people wouldn't have gotten them anyway. No one could have predicted the fire would jump 3 ridgelines and hit the town that fast.  

I doubt that reporter has ever hiked Chimney Tops. It's steeper than a 12 pitch roof. You can barely walk the slopes where the fire was, much less cut fire lines with heavy equipment. And even that wouldn't have mattered, the wind blew embers hundreds of yards from one ridge to the next. 

On 12/2/2016 at 0:20 PM, Jeb48 said:

I have heard similar stories from multiple disasters and people. Including selling things that were donated, to the people they were donated for.

Years ago I worked with an elderly gentleman who had served during the Korean War.  One night the topic of Red Cross came up.  I had never heard this guy say a cross word about anybody, even those that deserved it.  But when the Red Cross was mentioned he became quite agitated and told of being on the front line for four days with one days rations that he had shared with a fellow soldier.  After four days he was pulled back and came across a Red Cross station that had candy bars and hot coffee for those coming off the line.  He hadn't eaten in three days.  They tried to charge him for the candy bar and coffee.  He returned the candy and coffee to the table and kept walking.  He said, " I was out of bullets, water and food.  I damn sure didn't have no money!" 

• Like 1