CZ P10 Striker Fired

phiferran

58 minutes ago, TGO David said:

The more I read about this handgun and the more videos that I see featuring it in the hands of test and evaluation reviewers, the more interested I become.  Actually, I am very interested in getting my hands on one of them and trying it out.  I have funds squirreled away to purchase one when they land in stores, if they feel as good in the hand as everyone is saying they do.

This is the most recent review I have seen on YouTube and of note is a comment that the reviewer made that this gun yielded faster, more accurate shooting in the hands of several other shooters who all have Glock 19s as their every-day carry.

I noticed something while watching this video. The reviewer mentioned an "auto-forward" feature, that releases the slide when a mag is inserted.

Am I just way behind in pistol features?

I'm not awake this morning, we had a long night watching for high winds and water rising. So is this something new, or am I just really, really out of the loop on this?

EDIT for more comments. The more I see on this pistol, the more intrigued I become. Most of the videos I see refer to the lesser muzzle flip/rise from the P10, and it does seem very noticeable in this video.

Edited by hipower

I wouldn't call auto-forward a "feature" of the design, it is just something that happens with some pistols.  On some pistols, when you slam in a new magazine, that force causes the slide stop to disengage and go forward.  I have heard of S&W M&Ps doing it, and back in the 1990s, I had a Beretta 96 duty gun do the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
12 minutes ago, hipower said:

I noticed something while watching this video. The reviewer mentioned an "auto-forward" feature, that releases the slide when a mag is inserted.

Am I just way behind in pistol features?

I'm not awake this morning, we had a long night watching for high winds and water rising. So is this something new, or am I just really, really out of the loop on this?

EDIT for more comments. The more I see on this pistol, the more intrigued I become. Most of the videos I see refer to the lesser muzzle flip/rise from the P10, and it does seem very noticeable in this video.

A lot of guns do that but it is not what I would consider to be a "feature" but a byproduct of an easily jostled slide release.  If you think about it, you pull down on a slide release.  Pushing a mag UP into the grip would not cause the slide release to bump DOWN.  All that is happening is that the impact of the action of slamming a magazine in is jostling the slide release just enough to cause it to disengage.

You could do the same thing without a mag in the grip, chamber empty, by slamming the gun down onto it's grip on a hard surface.

21 minutes ago, TGO David said:

A lot of guns do that but it is not what I would consider to be a "feature" but a byproduct of an easily jostled slide release.  If you think about it, you pull down on a slide release.  Pushing a mag UP into the grip would not cause the slide release to bump DOWN.  All that is happening is that the impact of the action of slamming a magazine in is jostling the slide release just enough to cause it to disengage.

You could do the same thing without a mag in the grip, chamber empty, by slamming the gun down onto it's grip on a hard surface.

Thanks for the clarification, sir. It may be that I've encountered this before, but I don't actually remember it.

At first thought, I'm not sure this "feature" really appeals to me. Just seems like a potential for an AD to me.

I can see that one could make the point that in a combat situation this would be a time saving feature. But still leaves me a bit less enthused about it.

Oh well, lots of guns have features I don't care for; so maybe this will not cause me trouble. Just have to wait and see. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, hipower said:

At first thought, I'm not sure this "feature" really appeals to me. Just seems like a potential for an AD to me.

I can see that one could make the point that in a combat situation this would be a time saving feature. But still leaves me a bit less enthused about it.

Literally every defensive handgun class I have ever taken teaches you to manipulate the slide release with an overhand (aka "saddle") grip from your support hand once a fresh mag has been inserted.  They don't teach you to rely on the slide release lever or this so-called auto forward stuff.  Basically you want to make it fool-proof and integrate it into your overall system of shooting, consistently, no matter what handgun you are using.

To date, it's never failed me.  I can see where expecting a slide to auto-forward could cause problems if you were under stress and it didn't do what you were expecting it to do.  Nothing's louder than silence when you're expecting your gun to go bang, or vice versa. :)

6 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Literally every defensive handgun class I have ever taken teaches you to manipulate the slide release with an overhand (aka "saddle") grip from your support hand once a fresh mag has been inserted.  They don't teach you to rely on the slide release lever or this so-called auto forward stuff.  Basically you want to make it fool-proof and integrate it into your overall system of shooting, consistently, no matter what handgun you are using.

To date, it's never failed me.  I can see where expecting a slide to auto-forward could cause problems if you were under stress and it didn't do what you were expecting it to do. Nothing's louder than silence when you're expecting your gun to go bang, or vice versa. :)

Nothing's louder than silence when you're expecting your gun to go bang, or vice versa." This is the part that bothers me most here.

"Well said. Perhaps it's just me, but this doesn't really appeal to me as anything more than a range toy...at the moment.

As people who know me can guess, that could easily change after getting hold of the P10.

Edited by hipower

Count me in as another that can't wait to get my hands on one. I bought a 43 to replace my XDS as a carry gun. I got it home and my wife decided she wanted it and now carries it instead of her Sig. So I had to pull my 19 back out of the safe. I really like my 19 but have been wary of doing trigger work on a carry gun. My PPQ and VP9 are range guns only and I love the PPQ trigger. When MAC said the P10's trigger puts the PPQ to shame and it fits my 19 holster, he had my attention. Not to mention the price point. Just wish I got a discount on CZ's...

I understand the interest because I'm also a big fan of CZ but I'm seeing a bit of overreaction. The gun isn't even out yet, let's wait for some real world reviews/results and rounds down range before calling it the next best carry gun.

I remember the exact same thing happened with the VP9 and it seems interest has died down for that gun. When this reviewer called it "better than the Glock 19" he lost a bit of credibility. It may very well be, but we need more data. His claim was a bit premature. 

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I understand the interest because I'm also a big fan of CZ but I'm seeing a bit of overreaction. The gun isn't even out yet, let's wait for some real world reviews/results and rounds down range before calling it the next best carry gun.

I remember the exact same thing happened with the VP9 and it seems interest has died down for that gun. When this reviewer called it "better than the Glock 19" he lost a bit of credibility. It may very well be, but we need more data. His claim was a bit premature. 

Did anyone in this thread say that it is the next best carry gun?  I think criticizing the enthusiasm in this thread was a bit premature.

43 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Did anyone in this thread say that it is the next best carry gun?  I think criticizing the enthusiasm in this thread was a bit premature.

I feel like we can't even give opposing views here without it causing tension. This is why I almost didn't even post anything because it's not worth the argument. All I was saying is that while I'm also excited, I think we need to wait on some real world results to filter in. 

Next time I'll just not say anything, thus adding to the lack of site traffic/posting we seem to be having. 

3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I feel like we can't even give opposing views here without it causing tension. This is why I almost didn't even post anything because it's not worth the argument. All I was saying is that while I'm also excited, I think we need to wait on some real world results to filter in. 

Next time I'll just not say anything, thus adding to the lack of site traffic/posting we seem to be having. 

You mean we shouldn't trust the people that got them in advance and for free?   I concur. 

• Like 2

Well...just to add to the confusion. lol I expressed reservations in an earlier post about the "auto closing slide" that goes home when a mag is inserted.

But in talking about it today with another gun guy, I was told that it was the best thing since sliced bread. My words, not his there.

He stated that this feature had been around since the 80's in different pistols, but didn't name any at the time.

My point is that although I might not be initially fond of the idea, some seem to like the feature.

Edited by hipower
  • Administrator
11 hours ago, Erik88 said:

:bored:

That's not really what the words you typed conveyed in your first post.  You accused me and others in the thread who are excited to get our hands on this thing and test it out, of prematurely declaring it the next best carry gun ever, which is not what any of us said to begin with.  And now I'm somehow the bad guy because I pointed that out, and as a result I am stifling opposing viewpoints.  That is ridiculous.

Maybe this decline in traffic that you claim exists (we're actually pretty busy!) is because of the kind of thing you posted originally.  Just throwing that out there as a possibility.  There's no reason to go Full Snowflake about me having my own opposing viewpoint, right?  Or is that not allowed either?  I mean, I guess it's never been allowed according to some of our past members who also felt like I should shut my face because the act of me stating an opinion of my own was an egregious abuse of some supposed power that I have.

Really man, it gets old hearing it.

• Administrator

Buuuuuuut....  back to more relevant things.   Has anyone seen one of these in a store yet or heard of an official ship-date?  All of these various blog postings and videos claim that might see them in stores around Christmas, but honestly I was surprised to hear that anyone would have them available that far in advance of SHOT Show 2017.  Most of these new toys tend to release around the same time frame as the show.

On 12/18/2016 at 9:46 AM, barewoolf said:

I dont know why, and I cant explain it, but Im just not a fan of striker fired pistols.  I have the P-01 and the P-09 and love them both.

I understand where you're coming from, except for me I'd say it's more of a strong preference for hammer-fired pistols than a dislike of striker-fired pistols. There's just something primal and satisfying to me about being able to cock and de-cock the hammer...hard to explain.

That being said, I have owned several striker-fired pistols and despite my preferences, I've kept an XD-s in 45 acp and truly love it. So, it's not a hard and fast rule for me. Additionally, as CZ's self-appointed Number One Fan, I can't wait to get my hands on this P-10 and try it out.

• Like 2

More CZ hotness for 2017, incl P-10c:  http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/12/21/pure-awesome-cz-usa-2017-new-product-catalog/

I'm not a fan of guns with a twang... I'm sorry, I meant striker. I prefer hammers, But the first reports on the P-10 did spark my curiosity. However, I'm not a fan of plastic frames either, so I'll likely never have a P-10. Now, if they'd make a steel or alloy framed version, preferably with traditional slide-in-frame design, in essence a 75 with a striker, then I'd probably add it to my list of wants... provided the striker is as smooth as the initial reports proclaim. Sure would like to try it out though. (Kevin or David: Please let me know when you get one. :)  )

• Like 1