Ruger LCPii

JReedEsq

I saw one at Smoky Mtn Knife/Gun Works.  Was on sale for $280 on black Friday.  Probably was a special sale price...didn't want to stand in line for the background check because it was crazy busy that day, but I did hold it and they allowed me to dry fire it a few times.  Nice trigger...I will pick one up someday when there's not 1000 people squishing in on me, lol.

Looks like Indian Springs Armory in Kingsport, TN has one for $275 starting tomorrow if you happened to be up this way. I have a buddy that shops there and likes them. I have not bought from them though. That is more from being cash poor than not wanting to. lol

Here is a link to the sales flyer on their site

http://www.indianspringsarmory.com/2016-christmas-open-house.html

As of a week ago they had 8 units arrive Gander Mountain in Turkey Creek. Felt good in the hand, decent trigger, they had list price on them. $329. Buds online is out right now. Think I'll get one sooner or later. Some pretty good recent developments in .380 JHP making for a better, perhaps more potent  pocket carry. 

I'd like to see how the LCP 2 trigger compares to my Kel Tec P3AT with trigger mods. The main knock on these little Kel Tecs and clones is that the trigger pull is too long, but that's fixable with a few modifications. Granted, it will never be a single action, but the trigger pull can be shortened by more than half. 

I am sure the 'II" is an improvement..but I shot the standard LCP in a bug match and works just fine for what it is.  For pocket carry it is small and no snags.  Can probably find some good deals on them now.  IMO, for what the purpose is, I wouldn't spend the extra for the new improved version.

I broke down and bought the one at SIA yesterday.  Friendly folks and a price $30 less than Gander.  For me, the combination of a slightly better grip, better sights, last round hold open, and the short-reset trigger are worth the money (and the 1 ounce of weight) as long as it eats a wide variety of ammo like my last LCP did.  I hope to get it to the range next week.  Thanks TGO, 

Edited by JReedEsq
On 12/6/2016 at 6:53 PM, Wingshooter said:

I held the LCPii at GT down around Chattanooga. It was alright, but I'd still get the original one. The original just feels better to me

If you shoot a lot of revolvers etc... or it's going to be your primary carry (and you will practice with it a lot).  I really agree that the original is a better value.  It it's an occasional carry and you are used to "riding the reset" on other pistols, I think the new one is worth not having to worry about "short-stroking" it under stress.  I really liked the look and feel of the Ruger LCR we used to have around, but I wasn't that comfortable carrying it since it was the only revolver in the house I was concerned I'd short stroke it under stress if I ever had to use it.  I lived with the long reset of the LCP just because it can be carried when not other viable pistol can be.  I am no Cowboy and I honestly believe I'd be better off with a knife or fists than one of those NAA mini-revolvers.  To each his own you know... 

Update-  Got to shoot the LCP ii this morning and no malfunctions with 50 rounds of WWB; about 40 rounds of Remington FMJ and about 25 rounds of Freedom Munitions loaded Hornady XTP hollow points.  Ejection was a little erratic but I am optimistic that it will smooth out over time. My impressions:

1) I did shoot it a little better than my old LCP likely due to the better trigger and the sights don't get lost on me as much.  Slow fire accuracy is probably about the same, but the larger front sight (more space for the white nail polish I put on) and the shorter reset, let me speed up and still keep things on a paper plate size at about 5 yards.   

2) .380 can still have recoil in a small enough pistol.  Despite a few reviews I read, I did not notice a reduction in perceived recoil due to the increased grip diameter.  I also put about 50 rounds through the Glock 22 I am carrying today, and even with the bark of the .40 it felt like a very soft shooter in comparison.  I like this LCP a little better than the first gen models but it isn't a gun I would enjoy putting 200 rounds through at a time.

3) I always people talk about recoil for a certain caliber which never makes sense to me.  The size of the pistol seems to have a much more of an impact on recoil than caliber.  when I shoot multiple pistols, I am reminded that regardless of caliber, I should carry the largest one I can comfortably conceal.  For me, the bigger ones are just a lot easier to shoot well.  

Edited by JReedEsq
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, JReedEsq said:

Update-  Got to shoot the LCP ii this morning ........

3) I always people talk about recoil for a certain caliber which never makes sense to me.  The size of the pistol seems to have a much more of an impact on recoil than caliber.  when I shoot multiple pistols, I am reminded that regardless of caliber, I should carry the largest one I can comfortably conceal.....

Yep, one of the truisms of gunfights, no one wished they had a smaller gun  :eek:  Glad you liked the LCPii, nice review and thanks for the update.