Levi's boycott in 5 . . 4 . . 3 . .

I will copy and paste for anyone that doesn't have LinkedIn.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Levi has a LONG history of anti-gun sentiment. I've known this for quite some time and never purchased any of their jeans. My main motivation is cost though as I routinely buy the cheapest jeans I can find, which doesn't describe Levi.

Dear Customers, 

The debate in the U.S. over gun safety and gun rights is as complex as it is divisive. As a former army officer, a father and business leader, I’ve heard the arguments from all sides. And, as CEO of a 163-year-old company whose products and presence rest at the intersection of culture and community in more than 110 countries around the world, I feel a tremendous responsibility to share our position on the issue, now, at a time when clarity is paramount. 

Providing a safe environment to work and shop is a top priority for us at Levi Strauss & Co. That imperative is quickly challenged, however, when a weapon is carried into one of our stores. Recently, we had an incident in one of our stores where a gun inadvertently went off, injuring the customer who was carrying it.

So, while we understand the heartfelt and strongly-held opinions on both sides of the gun debate, it is with the safety and security of our employees and customers in mind that we respectfully ask people not to bring firearms into our stores, offices or facilities, even in states where it’s permitted by law. Of course, authorized members of law enforcement are an exception.

With stores in Paris, Nice and Orlando, and the company’s European headquarters in Brussels, I’ve thought more about safety in the past year than in the previous three decades of my career because of how ‘close to home’ so many incidents with guns have come to impacting people working for this company.

We operate in hundreds of stores across every state in the U.S., and laws are different in each one. We know that the presence of firearms in our stores creates an unsettling environment for many of our employees and customers. We also know that trying to enforce a ban could potentially undermine the purpose of the ban itself: safety. With that in mind we’ve made this decision as a business – a request not a mandate – and we sincerely hope responsible gun owners will respect our position. 

It boils down to this: you shouldn’t have to be concerned about your safety while shopping for clothes or trying on a pair of jeans. Simply put, firearms don't belong in either of those settings. In the end, I believe we have an obligation to our employees and customers to ensure a safe environment and keeping firearms out of our stores and offices will get us one step closer to achieving that reality.  

Sincerely,

Chip Bergh

President and Chief Executive Officer, Levi Strauss & Co.

8 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

Never wear them, so don't have to worry.

Same old story though. Some idiot does something stupid with  a gun and everyone freaks about guns. If he had stabbed himself in the leg with his EDC knife, no one would have heard about it.

• Like 1

So, while we understand the heartfelt and strongly-held opinions on both sides of the gun debate, it is with the safety and security of our employees and customers in mind that we respectfully ask people not to bring firearms into our stores, offices or facilities, even in states where it’s permitted by law.

And unless you actually, legally post your stores then I will 'respectfully' ignore your lame-a** request - if, that is, I actually go into any of your stores.  Which I probably won't.  I don't care about the jeans but I do like Dockers - which are made by Levi's - because I can wear them to work.  Honestly, though, I don't buy them from the Levi's stores.  In fact, since I really just wear them to work and since I hate spending money on clothes just to wear to work, I often look for and find pairs of Dockers that look like they were never worn at Amvets or Goodwill so Levi's doesn't get any of my money for buying them, anyhow.  I do, sometimes, pick up Dockers at the discount stores in Pigeon Forge but I don't think those are actually Levi's stores.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, JAB said:

And unless you actually, legally post your stores then I will 'respectfully' ignore your lame-a** request - if, that is, I actually go into any of your stores.  Which I probably won't.  I don't care about the jeans but I do like Dockers - which are made by Levi's - because I can wear them to work.  Honestly, though, I don't buy them from the Levi's stores.  In fact, since I really just wear them to work and since I hate spending money on clothes just to wear to work, I often look for and find pairs of Dockers that look like they were never worn at Amvets or Goodwill so Levi's doesn't get any of my money for buying them, anyhow.  I do, sometimes, pick up Dockers at the discount stores in Pigeon Forge but I don't think those are actually Levi's stores.

I buy most of my jeans from Sam's. Usually around 13-14 bucks a pair. Also have found some really nice Wranglers at second-had stores for under 10. I'm wearing some of them now in fact. 

• Like 4

Dear Chip,

If I want to pay full retail to buy your product from your branded store in an already posted mall, your letter of over whelming concern is a concern.

You take no real measures to ensure nor any responsibility or accountability for my safety.

The Bad Guy has already defeated the first layer of mall security, the GUN BUSTER SIGN, so he's already in the mall. That vault like security did not keep him in the parking lot or decide to try strong arm vs. armed criminal activity.

Your message of no guns probably didn't hit his Facebook or Twitter feed, he probably didn't watch CNN before leaving the house. He will more than likely evade the second layer of security at your store entrance, another NO GUNS SIGN (and maybe a framed and autographed copy of you PC email hanging behind the register)

You see Chip, a Bad Guy, whose back up plan is to use violence or lethal force during the commission of an illegal act, isn't dissuaded by ink on paper.

With no due respect,

You ain't GettingmyGoods

• Like 2

I don't think I have ever owned a pair Of Levi's in all honesty. I always thought Wranglers were more comfortable and now when I buy a new pair of Jeans I have found that the prewashed Faded Glory jeans at Walmart are very comfortable and affordable and I can carry my gun with me to buy them.............jmho

I either forgot or never knew they had their own stores. 

I have mixed feelings about it.  I appreciate that they did not decide to "post" their stores, but I'd rather they didn't feel the need to write the letter. 

Oh, well...I don't wear their overpriced jeans, anyway.

15 hours ago, hipower said:

I buy most of my jeans from Sam's. Usually around 13-14 bucks a pair. Also have found some really nice Wranglers at second-had stores for under 10. I'm wearing some of them now in fact. 

I don't think I have paid full price for a pair of jeans in five or ten years.  Most of the jeans currently in my closet came from second hand stores, discount stores or were bought on sale at Walmart.  I don't baby my clothes.  In fact, for someone who works a job that doesn't require a lot of manual labor I am pretty rough on clothes.  My work attire usually consists of some type of khakis and a short sleeved polo shirt.  I buy the polo shirts on clearance at Walmart every year when they clear out their summer clothing.  I don't care about the color because I just put them back until I wear some out.  I recently bought something like eight dark blue Faded Glory polo shirts at Walmart for $3 a piece plus a couple of white ones and a red one.  Those are my three least favorite colors for a shirt but they were cheap so I don't care.  That's me and clothes, especially clothes for work.

Their position is nothing new and I promise Levis that they won't see my money.  I'm a Wrangler guy when I wear jeans.  Up until the last year that was daily.  My new job doesn't allow jeans.  I actually got a pair of 5.11 tactical pants a few months ago and I have found them to be much more comfortable and durable than jeans anyway.  Plus I love having all of those pockets!  They are a little bit pricier than Wranglers but still not as expensive as Levis.  For years when I've seen a guy wearing Levis I've either figured that he doesn't pay attention, doesn't care, or he's just a sissy.

I used to buy them, years ago they were quality, durable and fit good. Then they went trendy or something and became rather pricey. 

I will gladly never buy them again even though it's been 25 years or so since I have. 

Libs just don't get it, it a shame when one of them uses their military background as value. A shame for the military and veterans that is. 

On December 1, 2016 at 6:54 PM, Grayfox54 said:

Levi Strauss & Co has a long history of being ultra-liberal and extremely anti-gun. They are based in San Francisco  and go out of their way to fit in perfectly with the left coast culture. 

I quit wearing levis many, many years ago.

I've never bought a pair again since the mid 90's when I accidentally visited San Fran during gay pride week and they were passing out Levi t-shirts that said, "Get Into Our Pants." There is one thing supporting gay rights and another thing being absolutely crude about it. Besides, they are wayyyy overprice.