bud

When that version of the video first came out, I laughed until I cried.  -from looking at client solutions with this new universal port crap, we were already frustrated.

• Then came ordering our first new Macbook Pro after one went down.  The ethernet Dongle... that you have to have to hardwire into a network... yep. 7 weeks out - unless you get lucky and find it in a store (none around us had one).   I went from frustrated to straight-up p**sed.  That was a while ago, and like the dongles, that feeling hasn't gone away. 

- Apple have (british for "has") no idea what they've done here.  

29 minutes ago, Peace said:

When that version of the video first came out, I laughed until I cried.  -from looking at client solutions with this new universal port crap, we were already frustrated.

• Then came ordering our first new Macbook Pro after one went down.  The ethernet Dongle... that you have to have to hardwire into a network... yep. 7 weeks out - unless you get lucky and find it in a store (none around us had one).   I went from frustrated to straight-up p**sed.  That was a while ago, and like the dongles, that feeling hasn't gone away. 

- Apple have (british for "has") no idea what they've done here.  

That is why I refuse to allow anything more than an iPhone to even use my network. Apple is just too proud of being Apple. They have to keep coming up with unnecessary things to be Apple exclusive. 

Basically USB is a universal port, why go designing a proprietary one?

23 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

That is why I refuse to allow anything more than an iPhone to even use my network. Apple is just too proud of being Apple. They have to keep coming up with unnecessary things to be Apple exclusive. 

Not really any different than what MS does with the Surface.  

Edited by quietguy
51 minutes ago, Dustbuster said:

Cause u can buy a lightning cable at mapco for 10 bucks when Apple gets 34.95
I laughed at this too funny as hell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the $35 one Apple sells breaks in no time. The Mapco knock off might last for years. lol

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Which proprietary port are you speaking of?

2 hours ago, Peace said:

FYI: for all of the frustration I have at Apple-Corporate, the business team at the Cool Springs store is absolutely incredible.

Unbeatable customer service... and nice folks to boot.

That is correct. They take very good care of me. 

5 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

And the $35 one Apple sells breaks in no time. The Mapco knock off might last for years. lol

And the knock off ones can have voltage fluctuations that damage your device. I will not use anything except apple accessories for any of my company's devices. 

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

And the knock off ones can have voltage fluctuations that damage you device. I will not use anything except apple accessories for any of my company's devices. 

I just refuse to let the employees have Apple devices. Everyone can like what they want, but I am not an Apple fan. 

I have been using them since Apple IIES and have always had issue with Apple's policies and processes.

Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

I just refuse to let the employees have Apple devices. Everyone can like what they want, but I am not an Apple fan. 

I have been using them since Apple IIES and have always had issue with Apple's policies and processes.

Just my opinion.

Not really an option in my business.  They are the best tools for the job.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

I use Apple cables because the plastic around the lightning connector is slimmer than most knock-offs. The slightly larger ones don't fit in the port through my RhinoShield case, which I love.

Rhino Shield CrashGuard Bumpers are the only thing use.  Love them.

2 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

Hmm. I have been using MagPul cases for a decent while. Are those bumpers really protective enough?

I have used these bumpers for the last two years or so. I don't drop my phone a lot but I have dropped my phone several times from about 5 feet high onto concrete with no damage. I like them because they are not bulky and give you an edge to hold onto. 

If you watch the videos on the website they drop the phone from 20 feet up onto concrete with out damage. They have worked great for me. 

• Moderators
I have used these bumpers for the last two years or so. I don't drop my phone a lot but I have dropped my phone several times from about 5 feet high onto concrete with no damage. I like them because they are not bulky and give you an edge to hold onto. 
If you watch the videos on the website they drop the phone from 20 feet up onto concrete with out damage. They have worked great for me. 

I got to thinking about them a bit more. My MagPul case has a slight lip that extends outward past the screen. Obviously it covers all the back. The lip is typically trusted to protect the front of the phone. Why not the same theory in protecting the back? That's what bumper case does I guess.

Wouldn't mind having one to try but I generally like my MagPul cases so much I'm not sure if it could convince me otherwise.

Looking up more about them now.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

Which proprietary port are you speaking of?

The new USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port... (they couldn't even name it one or the other).  It is the only port type on the new macbook pros.  Want ethernet?  Dongle.  Want USB? Dongle.  Want Thunderbolt? Dongle.  Want HDMI?  Dongle.  Each one of those connectors, I can access without an adapter on my current macbook pro.

- Also, there are only (4) of these ports on the thing, so if you are using one for the power adapter, then you have just 3 ports left.  I guess it's not a big deal since you'd need an adapter to plug anything into any of them... so what's one more adapter to mult one out to several devices.  Hahahaha!  This video ^^^ rules.

Oh yeah,... want Firewire?  well... I know old school, but still. Dongle.  

• Like 1
  • Moderators
The new USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port... (they couldn't even name it one or the other).  It is the only port type on the new macbook pros.  Want ethernet?  Dongle.  Want USB? Dongle.  Want Thunderbolt? Dongle.  Want HDMI?  Dongle.  Each one of those connectors, I can access without an adapter on my current macbook pro.

- Also, there are only (4) of these ports on the thing, so if you are using one for the power adapter, then you have just 3 ports left.  I guess it's not a big deal since you'd need an adapter to plug anything into any of them... so what's one more adapter to mult one out to several devices.  Hahahaha!  This video ^^^ rules.

Oh yeah,... want Firewire?  well... I know old school, but still. Dongle.  

USB-C is as far from a proprietary connector is as USB-A. Thunderbolt 3 is an Intel technology that is based on the USB-C connector.

In my opinion, it is the most versatile MacBook Pro ever. A few bucks might need to be spent but the bandwidth that can be pushed over each port is amazing. What about buying a monitor that charges your laptop, feeds a few USB accessories, perhaps a few externals, etc all over one cable. Still have three more ports too!

I have a USB 3 hard drive that uses the USB Micro B connector. I bought a cable that is Micro-B to USB-C. That isn't a dongle, it's a cable.

I bought a USB-C SD Card reader. Guess who the only folks that liked the SD Card reader built in were. People that used SD cards. Compact flash people still needed a card reader.

If you need a monitor, sure an adapter cable/adapter may be needed. Same for networking. Myself, I have very stable Wi-Fi at home so I don't care personally.

Going forward, with monitors, accessories, etc all coming out in USB-C, it is the future.

My money is where my mouth is. I have a 13" w/ TouchBar and couldn't be happier.

• Moderators

Also, if you want something funny, look back to when Apple released the first Unibody MacBook Pro. They dropped a few other ancient ports in favor of USB-A. People were complaint about that saying the same thing some are saving now about USB-C.

Guess USB-A caught on a bit eh?

25 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

USB-C is as far from a proprietary connector is as USB-A. Thunderbolt 3 is an Intel technology that is based on the USB-C connector.

In my opinion, it is the most versatile MacBook Pro ever. A few bucks might need to be spent but the bandwidth that can be pushed over each port is amazing. What about buying a monitor that charges your laptop, feeds a few USB accessories, perhaps a few externals, etc all over one cable. Still have three more ports too!

I have a USB 3 hard drive that uses the USB Micro B connector. I bought a cable that is Micro-B to USB-C. That isn't a dongle, it's a cable.

I bought a USB-C SD Card reader. Guess who the only folks that liked the SD Card reader built in were. People that used SD cards. Compact flash people still needed a card reader.

If you need a monitor, sure an adapter cable/adapter may be needed. Same for networking. Myself, I have very stable Wi-Fi at home so I don't care personally.

Going forward, with monitors, accessories, etc all coming out in USB-C, it is the future.

My money is where my mouth is. I have a 13" w/ TouchBar and couldn't be happier.

Haha!  I'm glad you're thrilled with it.  You keep being happy, and I'll keep my valid gripes for now.

I never said it was proprietary... "universal port crap", I believe.   We all have our different applications and tolerances.  It may all work out well in the end, but until then, I will not run a $200/ticket x 50,000 seat venue Live show on one.   Period.  Record, Edit, Scrapbook, Spreadsheet or graphic design?  sure.  Run a live show?  nope.   

FYI:  The new Macbook Pros interfacing with external devices other than USB is not a matter of a simple cable.  Each dongle you use with the new Macbook Pro that does anything other than USB - whether it is a 6" adapter or a 3m cable DOES have a chipset (with firmware) in the ends of the cable itself - converting the protocol.  It's another handshake that has to happen - one more compound variable (code, chipset, and another physical connector) that could cause trouble,...  and it is infuriating.   :D  I better lay off or I'll have to change my username and tagline.

You're good, CZ!  I'm glad it's right for you.  I hope to be as happy as you about it someday in the future.

Edited by Peace