Great grandfather's colt

Esko 270

I recently lost my grandfather,he was the greatest man I've ever known, anyways I could go on forever. I was lucky enough to get a few treasures he had. One was this old colt 38 that belonged to his father. I will never part with it so value doesn't mean much to me. I'm thinking I would like to have it restored but want it done right do any of you guys have some one you would recommend?f989d37d2c495863968fac817426f4e2.jpg Let them know how much you love them while you can. R.I.P Esko J Barnard. Thanks for looking and letting me rant.

Edited by Esko 270
  • Like 5

My grandfather's guns are beat up pretty bad cosmetically because he used them as hunting tools just about every day. They really need to be restored, but we decided that would remove the handling marks that he put on there. His hands held the stock, worked the bolt and pulled the trigger. They function just fine, but refinishing them would only erase the character that he gave them, so no way will I ever refinish my grandfather's guns.

Your grandfather's guns appear to be in much better shape and more collectible. Personally, I would leave them alone for sure and enjoy them as they are. Sorry for your loss :(

• Like 1

Nice old gun. It was probably made in the teens or the twenty's. If she locks up tight I would shoot standard velocity LRN and keep her oiled up good. I shoot my Dads and Grandpa's old gun sometimes when I go around the old place. Sorry for your loss  

• Like 1

The one on top is 38 mod 14-4 the one on the bottom is a 22 mod 48-4. Yeah they were also his, they're actually pretty good shape. Thank you guys for the kind  words. I guess I'll leave it alone .   I was also  so lucky enough to get his old 270 Winchester pump among others ,I'm not sure why but he liked it above all we shot it quite often growing up . 

• Like 1
The one on top is 38 mod 14-4 the one on the bottom is a 22 mod 48-4. Yeah they were also his, they're actually pretty good shape. Thank you guys for the kind  words. I guess I'll leave it alone .   I was also  so lucky enough to get his old 270 Winchester pump among others ,I'm not sure why but he liked it above all we shot it quite often growing up . 

4fae76d48e9236b48345a767c254cac9.jpg70ab02749d6b3a168f0eb051cbd31ec5.jpg 22 Browning auto on the bottom.
  • Like 1