Who's still hitting the woods?

3 hours ago, Sidinman said:

Well I am, sitting here in one o
f my hunting houses.
Heated I might add, 26°. Saw a couple doe this morning hope one comes by a little closer this afternoon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Anyone who went deer hunting this weekend has my respect.

• Like 2

Thanks Greg, yesterday weren't to bad. Today sat in the hunting house tilid mornin, went and feed horses and did a little still hunting.
Then this afternoon back to the little house.
Saw two does early, and a red fox this afternoon.

12 minutes ago, Sidinman said:

Thanks Greg, yesterday weren't to bad. Today sat in the hunting house tilid mornin, went and feed horses and did a little still hunting.
Then this afternoon back to the little house.
Saw two does early, and a red fox this afternoon.

Wind was blowing trees over here yesterday, although it was warm. Today, it simply wasn't fit to be outdoors.

• Like 1

I hear ya. Couldn't have stayed as long as I did without the little hut.
Did hear a couple shots off in the distance. So something musta been moving.
Think I'll take the 444 in the morning.
Gonna be chilly though, suppose to be about 14° in the morn, so my old butt will be in one of the hh's.

It's been hit and miss for me. Made a few more morning and have been out every afternoon for the past four days. While I missed a doe my buddy from Arizona got himself two 8s. This is his first whitetail. The second deer was a little smaller but had a broken front leg and needed to be shot. 2f0e816c91f351a771ce5925f5423cf8.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I hunted yesterday, 25 degrees when I got in the stand. Didn't see anything till 9, and it was 4 does walking behind me. Does are what I'm after but I couldn't tell if they were on my side of the property or on the park side. Figured I wouldn't risk it so came home empty handed. But stand by my decision as tickets and losing deer are definitely worse than not bringing home a deer. Gonna give it another shot Saturday and Sunday. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, rugerla1 said:

I hunted yesterday, 25 degrees when I got in the stand. Didn't see anything till 9, and it was 4 does walking behind me. Does are what I'm after but I couldn't tell if they were on my side of the property or on the park side. Figured I wouldn't risk it so came home empty handed. But stand by my decision as tickets and losing deer are definitely worse than not bringing home a deer. Gonna give it another shot Saturday and Sunday. 

I marked my property lines with orange flag tape just for that reason.  My neighbors don't mind but I would rather be on the safe side seeing as there is an agent out here that will always take the extreme view on things.

• Like 2

Well, mother nature decided to smile, or grin, on me today,  about 8ish I spot my first doe, but she is silhouetted  on the ridge, with the road and some trailers behind her so no shot.  A few minutes later I spot her, or a different doe, but this time she is traveling toward my hunting zone.  So I put the scope on her to line up a clean shot when I  spot a second deer further up.  I thought it was a wee bit bigger so now I'm in a quandary, I'm hunting for a small doe but now am thinking maybe I should  take the bigger one, and in the back of my mind I'm thinking maybe it's a buck.  

So they both move around me, they started at about my 7 o'clock and couldn't really get clean shot until they reached my 11:30 or so.  By that time, I know there are no antlers on either one, and they're small, so now I will go for whichever gives me the best profile for a DRT attempt.  Well, the "bigger" of the two is the one so I line up a neck shot and fire, down it goes. But it lands behind a big tree so no follow up shot which I thought it may need since it was kicking a bit.  The other deer jumped and ran up the hill when I shot but circled around to check on the other one, giving me some real good angles...but, I was only after one more so even though I scoped her, and thought about it, I gave her a pass.  

So after all that, I get to the downed deer and it's a button buck, again.  I don't know how you guys do it, but at the 100 yard distance, and 4 power, there was no way I could spot those buttons, heck, I can't even count points on bigger bucks most times.  Not that I feel bad or anything, they taste great, but I would rather of harvested does instead of button bucks. 

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Omega said:

So after all that, I get to the downed deer and it's a button buck, again.  I don't know how you guys do it, but at the 100 yard distance, and 4 power, there was no way I could spot those buttons, heck, I can't even count points on bigger bucks most times.  Not that I feel bad or anything, they taste great, but I would rather of harvested does instead of button bucks. 

It is really hard to see those little bumps at 100 yards unless you have some high-end optics and the deer gives you a good angle.  It stinks when it happens but as long as the deer gets in your belly, then don't sweat it too much!  

I'm starting to get burned out.  I had the perfect opportunity to get out and hunt today- my wife took our kids to visit family for the night and I'm off work.  Instead, I slept in and worked around the house.  It was nice sleeping in for once but I'm now kicking myself for not being on a stand right now.

Edited by Climber
  • Like 1

I hadn't decided at bedtime what I wanted to do, sleep in or hunt. I've hunted the past 3 days without even seeing a fresh track. I decided to sleep in so I didn't set an alarm. I woke up at about 7 or so and got up to drink some coffee. I looked out the window at the 4 wheeler on the trailer still hooked up to my truck and the frost on the ground. I went :bored:...:waiting:....I couldn't stand it. I suited up, made a quick sammich for lunch and off I went. I was in my tree about 9 or so and it was a beautiful morning, but again not a sign of a deer. I could have filled a 5 gallon bucket with squirrels though!!! I got home about 3 and unloaded the 4-wheeler and trailer. I'm done until sometime middle of next week. I have no idea where these deer have gone unless they are laying low in the pine thickets. Just maybe I'll get lucky during the last 10 days or so. Woe to the one that gets into my shooting range!! LOL  :x:

• Like 2

I went yesterday. Was in the stand all day except for a lunch break. Despite my best intentions, work has interfered with my hunting this year. I hope to get out again a couple of times next week. 

Good luck to all still after them. 

Merry Christmas 

• Like 1

I'm fuming....

Today is my first afternoon off work in nearly 3 freaking weeks (I've got 2 out of 4 stash of sick) & it turns out that there's a family spending Christmas & New Year in the holiday cottage on my lease, meaning no freaking hunting for me :wall::censored:

I really need to put a couple more in the freezer & I'm rapidly running out of time now.

Edited by robtattoo
  • Like 1
  • Well between my Grandsons and my son no one has any more room is any freezers to take any more for us. The Grandsons both bagged three more does and had them processed them and took them to 3 families that are struggling right now and gave them the deers for Christmas. They are done for the year now. All in All between my son and two of my grandsons we have all  we need so they are not hunting any more.
  • Like 1