My first silencer/suppressor: Yankee Hill Phantom

Matt8090

After many many many months of waiting, the ATF finally approved my Form 4 and mailed it to the one and only Michael Dresner of Law Enforcement Sales.  

I purchased it from Silencer Shop on March 1st, ATF cashed the check on April 11th, then approved my Form 4 on November 21st. The form arrived to Michael in the mail on December 3rd.

So far I'm really liking it. Once I do some more shooting and testing with it to confirm reliability, this suppressed 300 blackout will become my main home defense gun. The suppressor is quite at home on my 300 blackout SBR as well as my 10/22. I put up a quick video with it on my YouTube channel:

Edited by Matt8090
  • Like 5
14 hours ago, Lumber_Jack said:

I have a YHM M2 and its awsome.  Do you have an adjustable gas block?  If not, get one and you can turn down the gas and you won't get any "gas in the face" from the .300.  I still get it from the 556 but not the .300  Congrats on the new can

Thanks! I don't have an adjustable gas block yet. I'm going to swap out the hand guard soon and have been thinking of doing an adjustable gas block.

10 hours ago, bud said:

Pretty land there. Looks like you're shooting down a fairway.

It sure is. I shoot at the FOP range in Loudon. There's a nice little creek that runs through the property. I see river otters on occasion swimming and playing in it. Only time I've ever seen them, outside of the zoo.

• Like 1

Now you need to get a single shot. AR's, even with a silencer, are obnoxiously loud compared to a single shot.

If you want we can meet somewhere and you can hear what a single shot, loaded with single shot specific ammunition, sounds like. It is, literally, quieter than a slingshot. My single shot ammunition in my Encore is so quiet that all you hear is the hammer fall. Matter of fact it is louder dropping the hammer on an empty chamber because the primer cushions the hammer's fall.

I also have some new 270 grain bullets that are even quieter because you use such a  small amount of power.

15 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

Running a 305 subsonic Outlaw in the 308. pic of the 300 prototype . 

20161014_211731_zpsbj3kzalc.jpg

Those look great! They are also short and stubby, like most cast bullets, so it should be really stable for a jacketed bullet. Are they stable in 10 twist barrels? My 270g+ bullets are on the edge of being stable in a 10 twist at subsonic velocities. Down to what velocity will they expand?

I am finalizing my 270-280 cast bullet I designed specifically for the 300 Blackout. I have been working on this for quite a while now. Actively working on it for at least two years and on the back burner for at least a decade. It comes in at just under 280 with pure lead and is ~270-~275 using COWW. Mine will be stable at subsonic velocities in the summer but in the winter I can't get them below the speed of sound and still remain stable in a 10 twist barrel. It seems to be stable at ~1,100 fps but is not at 1,000 fps. In 6,7 or 8 twist barrels mine are working great at least down to 900 fps.

There is also a 300 Blackout specific magazine about to be released onto the market. It is the same as a aluminum milspec magazine except without the front ribs that interfere with the functioning with large subsonic bullets. Those magazines will work with 5.56 as well as 300 Blackout. The manufacturer of the magazines has also tested their magazine with my bullets.

We have spoke a few times over the years. I think the last time we spoke I was working on some subsonic 7.62x25 Tokarev loads.

I loved using Lil'Gun until I started using cast bullets. Lil'Gun seems to have more heat that causes some cast bullets to become molten. But if all I were shooting was jacketed Lil'Gun is about the best powder there is for both supersonic and subsonic loads. Now that I am mostly shooting cast I use IMR 4227 for AR's. I also use Blue Dot in my AR but the barrel needs to be under 10.5" or they will go supersonic. And it cycles great using Blue Dot. For my single shot only loads I use Trail Boss, a "surplus" pistol powder or Clays. I do compress the 5 grains of TB but so far I have not seen any major problems compressing it.

Cool stuff, hopefully silencers will be removed from the NFA. Imagine the advancements we will see when anyone and everyone starts trying out different ideas.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

Now you need to get a single shot. AR's, even with a silencer, are obnoxiously loud compared to a single shot.

If you want we can meet somewhere and you can hear what a single shot, loaded with single shot specific ammunition, sounds like. It is, literally, quieter than a slingshot. My single shot ammunition in my Encore is so quiet that all you hear is the hammer fall. Matter of fact it is louder dropping the hammer on an empty chamber because the primer cushions the hammer's fall.

I also have some new 270 grain bullets that are even quieter because you use such a  small amount of power.

I've been perusing some 300 blackout / 308 bolt guns. That will be the next venture. :) 

Avoid the Ruger bolt action in 300 Blackout. They are working through some issues and right now they are unreliable except for a few brands of ammunition. Remington bolt guns are good to go but I would not pick a bolt action as my first single shot.

The two that I would recommend as far as ease of use and absolute enjoyment are either an Encore or a H&R AAC Handi Rifle. You can find the H&R for under $250 if you wait some and search some. The Encore is going to be a bit more but you also get a lot more in the way of easy caliber changes. The triggers tend to be nicer on the Encores as well. I have a Bargera barrel on my Encore and it is a nice barrel. I also have a Savage bolt action in 300 Blackout. I have a Contender in 300 Blackout as well as an AR in 300 Blackout. Without a doubt the Encore gets shot 90% of the time. I do not shoot my AR because single shots have spoiled me with how quiet they are.

It sure is. I shoot at the FOP range in Loudon. There's a nice little creek that runs through the property. I see river otters on occasion swimming and playing in it. Only time I've ever seen them, outside of the zoo.

Shot off the same table Saturday...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 12/8/2016 at 5:38 PM, Dolomite_supafly said:

Avoid the Ruger bolt action in 300 Blackout. They are working through some issues and right now they are unreliable except for a few brands of ammunition. Remington bolt guns are good to go but I would not pick a bolt action as my first single shot.

The two that I would recommend as far as ease of use and absolute enjoyment are either an Encore or a H&R AAC Handi Rifle. You can find the H&R for under $250 if you wait some and search some. The Encore is going to be a bit more but you also get a lot more in the way of easy caliber changes. The triggers tend to be nicer on the Encores as well. I have a Bargera barrel on my Encore and it is a nice barrel. I also have a Savage bolt action in 300 Blackout. I have a Contender in 300 Blackout as well as an AR in 300 Blackout. Without a doubt the Encore gets shot 90% of the time. I do not shoot my AR because single shots have spoiled me with how quiet they are.

Thanks! I hadn't even thought about one of those types of rifles. That would probably be more what I'm needing than a bolt gun anyway.