Updated EDC Flashlights

1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

I use a double key ring with belt loop, with everything dropping down into top of pocket, fits fine for me with that. But if it's a bit too big for the way you do your keys, just carry separately in pocket. The switch is quite stiff, won't turn on with just getting normal pocket pressure from sitting or whatever, even with other stuff in pocket.

- OS

I'll make it work. You just can't beat Surefire lights

Edited by mikegideon
It's a lot bigger than the Thrunite.

Do me a favor when you get it, please... Post a pic of the two side by side and tag me with an @ so I see it. I don't want my keychain to get too clunky, but this one looks intriguing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk just to give Oh Shoot something to be grumpy about.

14 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Do me a favor when you get it, please... Post a pic of the two side by side and tag me with an @ so I see it. I don't want my keychain to get too clunky, but this one looks intriguing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk just to give Oh Shoot something to be grumpy about.

Done above. BTW... Perceived brightness on high is close to the Thrunite. I prefer the push button, but that's about it. Looks like they're using the same LED

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2017 at 11:51 PM, btq96r said:

Picked one of these up after reading your post a while back.  Great value and quite easy to carry around on my keychain.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Yes sir.  You are welcome.  Glad you like it.  I bought one for a friend at Christmas time.  He loves it too. 

I carry a light as part of my job, and it is rough on lights. Space is not an issue, toughness is. At the suggestion of some coworkers I grabbed a light from Walmart, an Ozark Trail aluminum light, 350 lumen. It was less than $20. In the last month it has been dropped, hit, dropped and slammed and still works, without a hitch. 

I suggest it highly. It fits in the door pocket on my van, and I know where it is. I think it runs on 4 AA and it hasn't needed new batteries in a month.

Now, take this as it is. I am a professional that uses the light on a daily basis. Not a go bag hope it works in a year kinda guy. 

The only complaint I have is that it has a high/low setting. One click high, second click low, third click off. I never use the low setting, so I am bad at turning it on, seeing what I need, then clicking it again and sticking it in my pocket on low. Then I grab it and click it once to see, and it is off. Training issue I suppose.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Generic-20195-Ozark-Trail-Flashlight-350-Lumens/49840409

5 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

I carry a light as part of my job, and it is rough on lights. Space is not an issue, toughness is. At the suggestion of some coworkers I grabbed a light from Walmart, an Ozark Trail aluminum light, 350 lumen. It was less than $20. In the last month it has been dropped, hit, dropped and slammed and still works, without a hitch. 

I suggest it highly. It fits in the door pocket on my van, and I know where it is. I think it runs on 4 AA and it hasn't needed new batteries in a month.

Now, take this as it is. I am a professional that uses the light on a daily basis. Not a go bag hope it works in a year kinda guy. 

The only complaint I have is that it has a high/low setting. One click high, second click low, third click off. I never use the low setting, so I am bad at turning it on, seeing what I need, then clicking it again and sticking it in my pocket on low. Then I grab it and click it once to see, and it is off. Training issue I suppose.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Generic-20195-Ozark-Trail-Flashlight-350-Lumens/49840409

A bunch of guys I work with use the 200 lumen version of those and they're not nice to them either.  They've held up almost as well as the $120 Streamlights. 

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up 6 of these off eBay from China.  They claim 1000 lumens.  Single AAA battery.  They were around $3 each.  Been carrying one in my pocket for a few days and it seems pretty decent.  Figure I can't go too wrong for $3.  

flashlight.jpg

I carry the ThruNite Ti3 on my keychain with a 3.7V 10440 rechargeable battery instead of a AAA battery. It's about twice as bright as the AAA.

In the car and in my bags, I have several Sipik SK68 clones by various manufacturers. They use one AA and cost about $6 typically. Some are junk and some are surprisingly good lights. The downside is that light is so bright the battery only lasts 20 minutes or so, but I use rechargeable batteries so that really doesn't matter to me.

My dog walking favorite light is the BLF A6. It costs $19 to $29 from www.Banggood.com. The A6 uses 18650 batteries and has a 7/4 mode selection. The 7 mode is moonlight up to 100% and then a turbo boost mode for #7. It can also be switched to the blinky/SOS mode. 

Edited by jgradyc