Who's trapping?

I do a little trapping for a farm down the road. They tend to have coyote problems and the dogs have become call shy. (when you know they hear your call but decide to lay down... their shy) I set out a few traps today in hopes of reducing the population a bit. Should I get lucky enough to catch some I'll post up pictures.

Sounds fun. My grandfather used to do a lot of trapping, and I always enjoyed tagging along when I was a kid. 

What kind of traps do you set?

I'll be calling for some coyotes as soon as the deer season ends. I saw fresh tracks on the way to my deer stand this afternoon. I heard them singing on the way out of my stand at dark.

Just got a phone call and one has been caught.

We don't sell the fur. I looked in to it some years back and it just wasn't worth it.  Prices were just too low. We do it to protect some sheep and other family pets. Any critter that cooperates will be turned loose with the exception of the coyote.  BTW the worst animal to try to turn loose is a feral cat!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Howler said:

Just got a phone call and one has been caught.

We don't sell the fur. I looked in to it some years back and it just wasn't worth it.  Prices were just too low. We do it to protect some sheep and other family pets. Any critter that cooperates will be turned loose with the exception of the coyote.  BTW the worst animal to try to turn loose is a feral cat!

Lol, that brings back memories. I helped my grandfather turn a feral (or maybe stray?) cat loose from a small steel trap once many years ago. He didn't like cats at all, so he probably wouldn't have gone through the trouble if I hadn't been there. What an experience that was! We got it set free without too much bloodshed (ours). I'm not sure I've ever seen a cat bolt that fast since. I'm pretty sure that cat wanted to kill us.

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Caught a huge male this morning. Probably one of the biggest and most aggressive coyote I've come across. Most try to get away but he came at me. The pic is him next to the average female I caught the other night. He makes almost two of her. 

IMG_1086.JPG

• Like 4

Got the FoxPro Inferno call, looking forward to breaking it in after deer season is over.  We have been hearing a bunch of yotes on our morning hunts, awesome to hear, but man I hate them.  We got some dog proof coon traps, we haven't set them out just yet at the family plot, but life keeps getting in the way.  Was told by a friend to try putting castor oil around the traps just to draw them in a bit with the odor, anyone try that?  Hoping to knock out some of our coon population here before trapping season ends, pretty sure we see them more than anything else on the game cameras unfortunately.  Would be great to get rid of some of our coyotes and raccoons, help out our turkey and deer numbers a bit.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Slappy said:

Anything? 

Yessir, as a matter of fact we did, got 3 raccoons, dispatched them and reset the traps again, will check them again today.  Family friend was out ther duck hunting as well and got a drake.

IMG_2971.JPG

• Like 4

I do a little trapping around the house, damn squirrels hogging the bird seed. :lol: I've carry off probably ten each year.

Now and then I'll get a possum or skunk.

The mention of feral cats and the bloodbath due to releasing them got my attention. I've done this with skunks and it may come in handy for some. Living close to the lake with boat docks available I've taken skunks in the trap, covered with a cloth to a boat dock, I put a tether on the trap and lower the skunk or feral cat if you wish into the water. If you don't want to drown them leave them under for a minute or two and then open the trap under water. 

If luck is with you they will swim opposite of your side of the dock and land.

Of course this a city boy talking, you country boy trappers may have better ideas. :usa: