10 mm vs .40 S&W

Jared Hensley

I'm new to this forum so I'll be short and to the point.  I know this topic has probably been discussed many times by you guys but can you point me to a particular line of discussion that will help me understand the advantages/disadvantages of the 10 mm over the .40 S&W?   Thanks, Jared

Jared, Welcome to the forum.

If you are serious about your questions there are many here with a lot of experience that will help you; we won’t all agree.

So I’m willing to participate in a serious discussion; I just find it an unusual post for someone’s first post.

So back to you…. what calibers do you have experience with and what applications/scenarios are you concerned about?

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Jared, Welcome to the forum.

If you are serious about your questions there are many here with a lot of experience that will help you; we won’t all agree.

So I’m willing to participate in a serious discussion; I just find it an unusual post for someone’s first post.

So back to you…. what calibers do you have experience with and what applications/scenarios are you concerned about?

Hi Dave.  Thanks for the thoughtful response to my question.  I'm not much of an internet guy so forgive me if my question seems strange for a first post.  But anyway, I have lot's of experience with many types of firearms, both rifles and handguns, but have never owned either a .40 or 10 mm.  I know this might sound naive, but I'm struggling to understand why anyone would prefer the .40 over the 10 mm?  My EDC is a 9mm and I feel that is adequate for personal defense.  When I'm in the woods I carry a .44 or .41 mag revolver, but I'm thinking a high capacity 10mm Glock (model 20?) might be a better option.  I guess my real question is what niche does the .40 fill that the 10 mm won't cover?  -Jared

Edited by Jared Hensley

There is no difference if you are buying bulk manufactured ammunition.  You get bragging rights about how much you spent to have longer brass. You have to reload or spend the bucks buying boutique shop ammunition to exceed 40s&w ballistics. 

Looks like you already have it covered, but if you have money and want the G20 got it. IMO you have better options with the G21 using 45acp-45super-460rowlnd 

Edited by ohell
  • Like 1
Just now, ohell said:

There is no difference if you are buying bulk manufactured ammunition.  You get bragging rights about how much you spent to have longer brass. You have to reload or spend the bucks buying boutique shop ammunition to exceed 40s&w ballistics. 

I don't reload so any advice on legit 10 mm ammo?  

30 minutes ago, Jared Hensley said:

Hi Dave.  Thanks for the thoughtful response to my question.  I'm not much of an internet guy so forgive me if my question seems strange for a first post.  But anyway, I have lot's of experience with many types of firearms, both rifles and handguns, but have never owned either a .40 or 10 mm.  I know this might sound naive, but I'm struggling to understand why anyone would prefer the .40 over the 10 mm?  My EDC is a 9mm and I feel that is adequate for personal defense.  When I'm in the woods I carry a .44 or .41 mag revolver, but I'm thinking a high capacity 10mm Glock (model 20?) might be a better option.  I guess my real question is what niche does the .40 fill that the 10 mm won't cover?  -Jared

10mm is a “designer round” (like the .45GAP and the .357SIG) that never really took off. The 40S&W is a mainstream round. The 10mm has a little more velocity and a little more energy than a .40; with a little more recoil. If you are comfortable with it, and want to pay the extra money; use it.

It’s like the difference between the 9mm and the 40S&W. Either will do. Men generally use the 40 and their wives use the 9.  biggrin.gif

7 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

10mm is a “designer round” (like the .45GAP and the .357SIG) that never really took off. The 40S&W is a mainstream round. The 10mm has a little more velocity and a little more energy than a .40; with a little more recoil. If you are comfortable with it, and want to pay the extra money; use it.

It’s like the difference between the 9mm and the 40S&W. Either will do. Men generally use the 40 and their wives use the 9.  biggrin.gif

So if you are deep in the woods and you have to deal with an angry momma black bear (your .338 Win mag is jammed) your preferred semi-auto sidearm would be of what caliber...??????

Welcome Jared,

Something I've noticed and has me steering towards the 10mm. I like 9mm, .38's .357's, .380's and .22's and those are the most common cartridges I keep stock of and enjoy.

What I noticed is when there was an ammo shortage back in 2009 and I couldn't find my popular rounds there was one round that was available, and that was the 10mm.

If I were to pick up another firearm and cartridge it would be the 10mm ........or a .45. everyone needs a .45.  :usa:

Not being to web-handy?

Here's a little info,

http://www.thegunzone.com/10v40.html

http://gundata.org/blog/post/10mm-vs-40-summary-and-ballistics/

Edited by kieefer
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

500 S&W Magnum

In semi-auto???!!!!!   Who makes that one!!!!

2 minutes ago, kieefer said:

Welcome Jared,

Something I've noticed and has me steering towards the 10mm. I like 9mm, .38's .357's, .380's and .22's and those are the most common cartridges I keep stock of and enjoy.

What I noticed is when there was an ammo shortage back in 2009 and I couldn't find my popular rounds there was one round that was available, and that was the 10mm.

If I were to pick up another firearm and cartridge it would be the 10mm ........or a .45. everyone needs a .45.  :usa:

If deep in the woods, my RBH .44 mag is by my side along with a meticulously maintained rifle in an appropriate caliber for the game I seek. .  But if deep in da hood, I carry my G23. and those 13 rounds are only to get me to my 10.5" 300Blk AR.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Omega said:

If deep in the woods, my RBH .44 mag is by my side along with a meticulously maintained rifle in an appropriate caliber for the game I seek. .  But if deep in da hood, I carry my G23. and those 13 rounds are only to get me to my 10.5" 300Blk AR.

I figure that live pineapple grenade I picked up at a yard sale pretty much covers all terrain. lol

2 hours ago, Jared Hensley said:

I don't reload so any advice on legit 10 mm ammo?  

I have a Glock 20 for a woods sidearm. I love it. The recoil isn't bad and it does smack the target much harder than 40s&w. I haven't done a scientific test with the chrono, but I can tell the difference. The 40 is for those that want a 10mm Short I guess :shrug:  I have an HK USPc in .40s&w, but I rather carry my Glock 19 for EDC. 40 just doesn't do much for me.

I used to carry a 44mag in the woods, but the 15 +1 of 10mm with night sights gives me more over all comfort. I load it with Underwood 200gn hard cast. I have not observed any leading yet in my stock glock barrel, but I don't put tons of that ammo through it.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/10mm-auto-200-grain-hard-cast-flat-nose/

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jared Hensley said:

So if you are deep in the woods and you have to deal with an angry momma black bear (your .338 Win mag is jammed) your preferred semi-auto sidearm would be of what caliber...??????

21 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

I have a Glock 20 for a woods sidearm. I love it. The recoil isn't bad and it does smack the target much harder than 40s&w. I haven't done a scientific test with the chrono, but I can tell the difference. The 40 is for those that want a 10mm Short I guess :shrug:  I have an HK USPc in .40s&w, but I rather carry my Glock 19 for EDC. 40 just doesn't do much for me.

I used to carry a 44mag in the woods, but the 15 +1 of 10mm with night sights gives me more over all comfort. I load it with Underwood 200gn hard cast. I have not observed any leading yet in my stock glock barrel, but I don't put tons of that ammo through it.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/10mm-auto-200-grain-hard-cast-flat-nose/

What he said.   The G20 is a great woods gun. Great combination of capacity and power. 

I also second his recommendation of Underwood ammo. That's all I shoot for the most part. 

• Like 4
11 hours ago, kieefer said:

Welcome Jared,

Not being to web-handy?

Here's a little info,

Hardly a like comparison.  Handloaded 40 with 155gr vs weak factory 10mm 180gr.

Double tap posts the following about their 135gr nosler JHP loads from 5" barrel:

10mm 1600fps 768ft/lbs

40 1420fps 605ft/lbs

A 27% power increase is pretty significant.

12 hours ago, kieefer said:

Welcome Jared,

Not being to web-handy?

Here's a little info,

Thanks!