10 mm vs .40 S&W

Jared Hensley

The Sig 10mm ammo isn't bad and can be found at reasonable prices if you don't load yourself. I am a big fan of the Remingron UMC in 10mm. It is also a little bit more on the hot side; it seams like it was 1150fps for a 180 gr bullet out of a 4.5" barrel.

IMG_1191_zpsbfedmobn.jpg

Edited by Patton

40 S&W is a fine self defense round and is chambered in pistols that are easier to conceal and carry .. In other words ... Pistols that can be chambered in 9x19 can be chambered in 40S&W . For example a Glock 26  (9mm) and a Glock 27 ( 40 S&W)  are the same size.... 

The 40 S&W can be found with a wide variety of bullet weights .. From 135gr -200gr

As for the 10mm it is on paper very close to the 357 mag in energy  ..... that is when tbe 10mm is loaded to its full potential.. alot a times its loaded close to 40 S&W levels .. 

Myself for my use I lean toward a 40 S&W ... over a 10mm .. If Im going to carry a larger pistol .. I will carry a 45 acp ... which is lower pressure and gits the job down without the fuss ...

I read comparing the 10mm to the 40 S&W

as to the 357 mag to the 38 spl

I disagree .. Its closer to compare 357mag to a 38spl +P+ 

Double Tap loads a tuff  

40 S&W round , useing a 200gr JHP 

The 40 S&W has energy levels that surpass the 44spl round 

Edited by TN357mag

All this talk about the G20 and a little about the 29, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the G40. 6" barrel for better velocity too. I'd like to have one for a woods gun myself. Don't need it, but it would be fun to have.

Patton, your pic looks pretty familiar. Looks like where I work to get money for the gun fund on the weekends. :eek:

All this talk about the G20 and a little about the 29, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the G40. 6" barrel for better velocity too. I'd like to have one for a woods gun myself. Don't need it, but it would be fun to have.
Patton, your pic looks pretty familiar. Looks like where I work to get money for the gun fund on the weekends. default_eek.gif

You mean one of these...03ec0133b644908d213d98d6b719f402.jpg
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Patton said:

I believe that was Gander Mountain on 153.

Yup, I work there part time so I can keep adding to the collection without too much complaining from my wife.

10 hours ago, KahrMan said:

You mean one of these...03ec0133b644908d213d98d6b719f402.jpg

I don't have a good reason or a need but I would love to have one just for fun! 

...The 40 S&W has energy levels that surpass the 44spl round..

More data:

A simple Google search brought this data...

44 Special loads...

Buffalo Bore.... 255 grain.... 566 ft-lb.... 1000 FPS

Cor Bon...        200 grain.... 401 ft-lb.... 950 FPS

Remington...   246 grain.... 310 ft-lb.... 755 FPS... This is the "original" 44 spl load from long ago...

40SW loads...

Buffalo Bore 40+P.... 180grain.... 484 ft-lb... 1100 FPS...

Cor Bon 40+P....        165 grain.... 485 ft-lb... 1150 FPS...

Speer 40 ....               180 grain... 361...950 FPS... This is the "original 40 SW load"... 

The truth of the matter is that the "original" 40SW (..invented in the 1980's...) load bests the old "original" 44SPL (...a black powder era load...) load by a few ft-lbs... 361 vs 310... That aint by much... The truth is that a 40 SW is a pretty good 38-40 load... The old 38-40 was 180 grains, 401 dia, and about 1000 fps...

The 40+P load gets close to a "heavy" 44 special load in muzzle energy (...485 vs 566 ft-lb...) but looses out in the bullet weight dept (..165 vs 255...)... The original 40 gets bested pretty good by the "heavy" 44 special loads...

I regularly shoot either 7.5 grains of Unique or 7.0 grains of WW 231 in my special with a 250 grain hard cast bullet... That's about 950 to 1000 fps out of a 4 inch revolver (...smith or ruger...)... That's in Buffalo Bore territory... A 40SW+P aint in the same league as a heavy loaded special as to bullet weight or muzzle energy...

That bein said; the 40 SW is a good round...That's why it's used as a self defense round by so many police departments and agencies...

I shoot a 40 and carry one from time to time... It aint a 44 special nor 45 colt for that matter when compared to the old revolver loads; except with the original loads for the 44 special which no one loads nor uses... It aint even close to the old 45 Colt load of 255 grain lead and 900 fps from the black powder days...

Don't believe the fable that a short barrel semiauto can best a medium or big frame wheel gun in these calibers... They cant... We got 'em all (...semis and revolvers...) and shoot 'em all...

leroy...

1 hour ago, leroy said:

More data:

A simple Google search brought this data...

44 Special loads...

Buffalo Bore.... 255 grain.... 566 ft-lb.... 1000 FPS

Cor Bon...        200 grain.... 401 ft-lb.... 950 FPS

Remington...   246 grain.... 310 ft-lb.... 755 FPS... This is the "original" 44 spl load from long ago...

40SW loads...

Buffalo Bore 40+P.... 180grain.... 484 ft-lb... 1100 FPS...

Cor Bon 40+P....        165 grain.... 485 ft-lb... 1150 FPS...

Speer 40 ....               180 grain... 361...950 FPS... This is the "original 40 SW load"... 

The truth of the matter is that the "original" 40SW (..invented in the 1980's...) load bests the old "original" 44SPL (...a black powder era load...) load by a few ft-lbs... 361 vs 310... That aint by much... The truth is that a 40 SW is a pretty good 38-40 load... The old 38-40 was 180 grains, 401 dia, and about 1000 fps...

The 40+P load gets close to a "heavy" 44 special load in muzzle energy (...485 vs 566 ft-lb...) but looses out in the bullet weight dept (..165 vs 255...)... The original 40 gets bested pretty good by the "heavy" 44 special loads...

I regularly shoot either 7.5 grains of Unique or 7.0 grains of WW 231 in my special with a 250 grain hard cast bullet... That's about 950 to 1000 fps out of a 4 inch revolver (...smith or ruger...)... That's in Buffalo Bore territory... A 40SW+P aint in the same league as a heavy loaded special as to bullet weight or muzzle energy...

That bein said; the 40 SW is a good round...That's why it's used as a self defense round by so many police departments and agencies...

I shoot a 40 and carry one from time to time... It aint a 44 special nor 45 colt for that matter when compared to the old revolver loads; except with the original loads for the 44 special which no one loads nor uses... It aint even close to the old 45 Colt load of 255 grain lead and 900 fps from the black powder days...

Don't believe the fable that a short barrel semiauto can best a medium or big frame wheel gun in these calibers... They cant... We got 'em all (...semis and revolvers...) and shoot 'em all...

leroy...

I really wasn't comparing the 40 S&W  with the  higher pressure 44 spl loads... why ?

If you are useing the higher pressure custom type 44 spl ammo .. you are fireing out of a 44 mag revolver or a Large frame 44spl revolver ....

Myself the 44spl shines at the attended lower pressure.. and useing it in a small or medium frame revolver ...

If I use  higher pressure 44 spl ammo .. I will have a 44mag revolver .. and then I will just save myself money and fire 44 mag ammo ... Instead of custom high pressure 44 spl ammo ...

Myself , if Im going heeled .. I may carry my 27 over my 44spl ..They're absolutely no real world self defense advantage .. In carrying a 5 shot 44Spl revolver over a 27  9+1 loaded with the plentiful and abundant selection of SD 40 S&W  ammo..

If I had a large frame revolver in 44 spl or 44 magnum .. 

I would still carry a 27,30S or even a Glock 41 over a 44 oz 5 or 6 shooter ..

My Charter 44spl 2.5 inch barrel 21oz 

Hornady XTP 180gr 44spl  out of a 2.5 inch barrel  775 fps

Federal Hydra-Shok 165gr 924 fps out of a 27 

i choose these  examples , becuase they represent easily found , effective SD ammo  .

I picked lighter 40 S&W bullet to where bullets would have similar sectional density.. 

image.jpeg

Edited by TN357mag
1 hour ago, TN357mag said:

They're absolutely no real world self defense advantage .. In carrying a 5 shot 44Spl revolver over a 27  9+1 loaded with the plentiful and abundant selection of SD 40 S&W 

Sure there is. No better vehicle weapon than a revolver. I'm pretty vulnerable in my little convertible and distance may not be my friend. Revolver can't be pushed out of battery. 

None of the comparisons mean squat to me without barrel length. Another reason I ditched my 10mm's was I could push a 40s&w in a glock35 as well as a 10mm in a g29 with standard length barrel.  The 40s&w washes out at 5-6" barrel length at normal bullet weights,  >165 grain. The 10mm needs running room and starts to get happy with a 5" barrel length. 10mm is flash bang in anything less than a 4.5" barrel. If i could easily get 220-240 grain bullets in .40 I may have kept the 20/29 Glocks but might not have fingers to type this.

These are awesome times, so many good choices out there!

Edited by ohell
  • Like 1

...These are awesome times, so many good choices out there!...

ohell hit the nail on the head... Plenty of choices... For easy carry on your person; ya cant beat the flat form semiautos... i carry one all the time... For a "real gun", as my 27 year old says; ya cant beat a big frame revolver or a big glock (...20, 21...)... We got 'em all... I tend to carry the big glocks or a Ruger SA in 44 special or 45 colt if im out riding around and feel the need for a "real gun"... 

Remember.. The best reload is a second gun...

leroy

• Like 2