Vortex Venom Vs. Viper

I don’t guess I’m going to be able to get a Leupold Deltapoint to fit my new M&P C.O.R.E.

So I’m looking at Vortex. Anyone here familiar with the Venom and Viper? They are the same price and it appears to me the only real difference is that the Venom is available as a 3 or 6 MOA and the Viper is only available as a 6 MOA? So I’m a little confused. Are the mounts different?

Also isn’t 6 MOA too big for a target handgun?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't give a comparison as I only have the Venom on a AR pistol, but it zeroed easily and has held that zero in the year I've had it on the pistol.

The only gripe I have had is the intensity buttons which are also the power buttons are small, as they need to be on such a small sight, so it's difficult to get it to turn off on occasion.  If you have ham hands and your cold, you tend to hit the wrong or both buttons.  Other than that small issue, I always recommend Vortex equipment.  Ain't had a bad one yet and that's scopes and the sights.

I looked closely at both of those before getting a good deal on a Burris FastFire III. 

The Venom has a top load battery, do not have to remove the sight to replace the battery. Viper you have to remove the sight, and could potentially see a minor impact shift after reinstalling.

The buttons are also a bit different. The buttons on the Viper are just slightly larger.

Another consideration would be if you want to setup cowitness height sights. The Venom has marks on the rear of the optic that can be used in place of a rear sight. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
12 hours ago, chances R said:

Would this work on the M&P 15-22 AR style rifle?  Or other suggestions?

I don’t see why not, my Venom had a Picatinny Mount in the box. If you want a red dot this one is small and light.

As far as other suggestions; my M&P15-22 has a Leupold 3X9 VX-1 on it. It’s far beyond the capabilities and accuracies of any red dot made, and cost less.