Coyote in town!!

bersaguy

Yotes do a lot more damage than some may think. I read an article that said game cameras were placed at 2 yote dens in Ohio and in a 1 month time one mother brought 16 fawns to her den the other got 14. Now that is a lot of future deer steaks, roast and burgers the way I see it. They need to be eliminated like the wild/feral hog population, kill em no matter the means!!!

I'd be a lot less worried about noise and a lot more worried about a wounded yote prowling around.  

Coyotes are tough critters. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a .22 bounce off the skull.  A friend had to hit one 3 times with a .270, first shot was mid back and it got back up after about a minute.  Second shot was front shoulder and it got back up again, though the front leg wasn't working.  His assumption was the first bullet didn't expand and the second broke the shoulder but didn't do much else. 

Well I guess I could use my 30-30 to make sure it is dead if it comes back.  A man that lives behind me on the other side of the fence row said he has seen it twice but was afraid to key off a round for fear of being arrested for shooting inside the city. I told him if he gets a chance to get it in his cross hairs again to CAP it because the law said they won't arrest people for shooting dangerous animals to protect pets.

We used to live in the heart of Oak Ridge, where there is absolutely no discharging of weapons allowed. There are many greenways throughout the neighborhoods, and deer are very populated there, especially with no two-legged predators. It's not uncommon to see them grazing in peoples yards while you are driving down the street.

The neighbor across the street from us has a greenway for a back yard. One time a coyote took up residence in her side yard. It would just sit there on a stump she had. It would run away if approached, but would return. Everybody was concerned, especially the ones with cats and small dogs.

I called TWRA and they said they don't trap animals, and that if I did, it is illegal to transport a live wild animal. I called the city / animal control, and they told me they are only responsible for domestic animals. If I wanted the animal trapped, I would have to hire a trapper. I asked if I could shoot it myself, and she said, "Absolutely not! You can't fire a gun in the city." I said if I trapped it, how was I supposed to dispose of it? I kiddingly said "What, am I supposed to just club it to death?" She told me, "Sir, clubbing a defenseless wild animal in the city limits is... a perfectly acceptable way to get rid of it."  :eek:

Eventually, after a few weeks, the coyote moved along and we never saw it again.

On 12/17/2016 at 0:33 AM, Wingshooter said:

I hope they don't wipe out the turkeys where I am. We still have a bunch, and I'm already looking forward to the season. I see more turkeys than deer actually. Don't see many yotes, but I hear them singing their songs at night.

I hunt turkey in middle Tennessee also and didn't see as many last season as I did the year before.  Wondering if the population has taken a hit where I hunt due to coyotes.   Planning on doing some coyote hunting once deer season ends and before turkey season starts.