Shotgun inserts in different calibers

1 minute ago, Quavodus said:

I bought one a few years ago from I think it was Dina Arms or something. It is a .357 Mag. for 12 Gauge. The accuracy is not very good. It didn't hurt my shotgun any though.

I figured it had to be next to horrible in accuracy, but still better than using the gun as a club.

4 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

The best I could get was about a 10" group at 25 yards.

Still 10 inch groups let you hit a deer or a guy that is intending on doing you harm if you pay attention. Like with my .22lr rifle. with cheap ammo I can put all 14 rounds in the 6 inch circle at a reasonable distance with irons. I figure that is good enough for me at my eye level and skill. Some people would call me a awful shot though

1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

Ahh the things we did as kids. 1/2 genius and 1/2 stupid all in one. Sounds like you found a good solution to a problem and did the job you were asked to do. You guys have a mess of pigeon for dinner that night?

Killed about 40 and yep, nothng was wasted back then. My mother would cook them like Cornish Hens with Dressing when she cooked them. We had about 5 farmers in the area that would let up pop pigeons to keep the population limited to just a few.  My buddy was the one that came up with the idea of cutting the hulls and it worked great.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

Killed about 40 and yep, nothng was wasted back then. My mother would cook them like Cornish Hens with Dressing when she cooked them. We had about 5 farmers in the area that would let up pop pigeons to keep the population limited to just a few.  My buddy was the one that came up with the idea of cutting the hulls and it worked great.

Read a true story about a guy a while back that came back from the military and lived in a boarding house. He basically fed himself with an old air rifle by killing pigeons in empty warehouses around this area. He would trade some for other food stuffs and eat some himself.

Where I grew up they would actually bring shooters in to kill the pigeons off the courthouse when the population got to big. They would get in the attic and cause all kings of a mess.

There is always a lot of food around if you keep an open mind. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Ronald_55 said:

Read a true story about a guy a while back that came back from the military and lived in a boarding house. He basically fed himself with an old air rifle by killing pigeons in empty warehouses around this area. He would trade some for other food stuffs and eat some himself.

Where I grew up they would actually bring shooters in to kill the pigeons off the courthouse when the population got to big. They would get in the attic and cause all kings of a mess.

There is always a lot of food around if you keep an open mind. 

I grew up in Illinois out in the country and my buddy still lives up there. At one time he was contracted with the city of Chicago to trap pigeons and he did that until it got to dangerous to be in Chicago and he quit. He had cage traps on many roofs all over the city. I think he said he had about 80 of them. He also had a contract to shoot nets twice a month on Sunday's in the down town loop.The police would close off the loop and not allow anyone in the loop on the Sundays he was shooting the nets. He would get between a 100 and 200 birds with each shot. He had a huge pigeon house and fly pin on his farm and he would keep the birds alive and feed them and keep them till he got an order for some pigeons from one of the gun clubs in Virginia, Kentucky or North Carolina and then he would transport the birds south.

He would Be paid by Chicago to trap them and then paid by the bird when he took them south to live bird shoot clubs. He did that for many years until they finally outlawed any live bird shoots in the southern states due to cruelity to animal activist groups. The clubs paid $2.00 per bird for every live bird he brought them which was sometimes 300 birds.

These were very elite clubs and I was surprised when he said they got them closed down. It worked out right for him though. He had enough birds to fill his last trip south and ended his Chicago trapping so all worked out well. Even those birds did not go to waste because they allowed the locals to pick up all the dead birds shot at the clubs for food since they were all in the mountains where people could use the food. 

I know a few guys that would love to have some pigeons to go on their land. Doves have dried up at their places and pigeons would be a good alternative. Now the neighbors might not like the idea. 

Not sure how a private event like a live bird shoot could get shut down. I know "hunting retreats" that still do it with quail and pheasant. I have never been much on those though, but I did not grow up bird hunting.

Believe it or not it was not the shooting and killing that got them closed down. The birds were kept in a building behind the shooters and there was small tunnels that went out into the shooting zones. Once the birds reached the end on the tunnel they would be standing on a small metal platform and a trap door would open and if the bird did not take flight the bird would receive an electric shock that would make them fly. It was the electric shock system that got them closed down. That was what was considered inhumane. I kinda see a negative side to that also cause in most cases the bird would take flight on it's own soon after the trap doors opened and they saw daylight. There was also a certain number of birds that actually did get away and get gone.

Yeah, accuracy in most shotguns with a single bead would be tough to get. I shot .357 ammo with the chamber adaptor in my turkey shotgun that has two beads. It is a little more easy to sight accurately. I don't know how a shotgun with rifle sights would be. I've heard the adaptors that are longer give better accuracy.