Wheel gun itch

res308

I know this same question in various forms has been asked many times. But, I'll ask it anyway.  

I carry the Glock 23 on duty, yes I'm stuck with .40 at work. 

I love my little FDE Glock 19. The 19 is my favorite model Glock and I can't picture myself ever being without one. 

Here lately I've been packing my Kimber TLE when I'm off duty. It's been a refreshing change. 

BUT, sometimes (well, all the time) I get the itch to carry a good old wheel gun. I haven't gone back to doing that (yet) since my only revolver nowadays is my Smith 686-1. Nothing will change the fact that, FOR ME, nothing will replace the .357 Magnum as my all-around favorite handgun caliber. I also just thoroughly enjoy shooting a wheel gun more than most anything else.

I had seriously thought about getting a Dan Wesson Valor this coming year, but the more I thought about it, I got to looking at the fact that I could buy TWO very nice revolvers that I've always wanted and still have money left over.

I find myself wanting to treat myself this coming year to a 686 with a 3" barrel, AND either an airweight in .357, or the 640 Pro. And I'd carry them both. I'll have to see how finances go. I'm not sure at this point if I'll have to sell the Kimber to make that happen. Don't really want to, but if I have to, so be it.

Anybody else ever have this strong of an urge floating around that just WILL NOT go away?

Edited by res308

Yep.  Thankfully I have a few, but missing is a nice 686. I had a 6" pre-lock 686 years ago but sold it when time were hard.  It's the only gun I really miss from back then.  

I have a "gotta get" list, and I finally crossed the Beretta M9A1 off a few weeks ago... love that thing!  Next up is either a 1911 or CZ SP01.  

Hope you find yours soon!

Wheels are for real!! Shooting a wheel gun is what started my gun life. Dad let me shoot his 6" 38 target gun. No model number on it. He always told me it date back to early 50's. I've never(foolishly) researched it. Just shoot it and enjoy it. And of course, never letting it go. Too many memories in it.

Sorry, got side-tracked. I shoot auto loaders quite a bit, but for pure fun, I just break out a 66 or a 19. It really doesn't get any better than that for wheel guns. No offense meant to the Ruger guys. I like some of them too.

4 minutes ago, ggwilde said:

I love the wheel guns. Just picked these 2 up to add to the collection. S&W 44 Mag Lew Holt and Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp. Stock image of the GP100.
I pick it up first of the week.
fc4366c704862cb315e0a06d3f614236.jpg
b359275209ce93164f660794e6fa4482.jpg

You, sir, are a-killin me. That .44 is a beauty! Lord willing, I'll get another .44 one day too.

My one pre-lock Smith, the 686-1, is as smooth as I could ask for. But I haven't ruled out the Rugers. I really like the Wiley Clapp models especially, and I figure a 3" Wiley Clapp GP-100 and a Wiley Clapp SP-101 would make a nice brace. One gun on my "list" (you know, THAT list) happens to be a Ruger Security Six in 4" stainless. That would be nice paired with a Speed Six in 3". Not exactly the lightest of carry setups, but they'd sure be enjoyable.

If you haven't noticed, I fully intend to obtain a pair of them. Another one I'm thinking about is the TALO edition 686 3-5-7 in 3 inch. Of course, one that's been on my dream gun list for a long time is the Smith 586 L-Comp. That one's getting pretty 'spensive for one wheel gun.

One thing I like about the 640 Pro, aside from the looks, is the fact that it's cut for moon clips. Wouldn't mind having the big brother done that way too.

2 hours ago, musicman said:

Yep.  Thankfully I have a few, but missing is a nice 686. I had a 6" pre-lock 686 years ago but sold it when time were hard.  It's the only gun I really miss from back then.  

I have a "gotta get" list, and I finally crossed the Beretta M9A1 off a few weeks ago... love that thing!  Next up is either a 1911 or CZ SP01.  

Hope you find yours soon!

Don't get the SP-01. It's heavy and wonderful and it makes you not want to shoot anything else.:angel:

I had a 686-4 some time ago, but I sold it to fund a project for my son. My 686-1 has some sentimental value to it, but I almost wish I had sold it and kept the -4. The -1 of course is a square butt, but the -4 was a round butt, and I had no trouble carrying that one concealed.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, res308 said:

Don't get the SP-01. It's heavy and wonderful and it makes you not want to shoot anything else.:angel:

I had a 686-4 some time ago, but I sold it to fund a project for my son. My 686-1 has some sentimental value to it, but I almost wish I had sold it and kept the -4. The -1 of course is a square butt, but the -4 was a round butt, and I had no trouble carrying that one concealed.

Agree the SP-01 is a very fine gun.  It is now one of my favorites in my stable.

Recoil Gunworks has police trade 640's in stock now, around the $400 mark. A steal for pre lock all stainless J frame. I've been looking really hard at a .357 all metal snub. I have an 357 LCR but it isn't anywhere near easy shooting with my preferred load, 125grn Gold Dot 357mags. 

4 hours ago, ggwilde said:

I love the wheel guns. Just picked these 2 up to add to the collection. S&W 44 Mag Lew Holt and Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp. Stock image of the GP100.
I pick it up first of the week.
fc4366c704862cb315e0a06d3f614236.jpg
b359275209ce93164f660794e6fa4482.jpg

Both absolutely beautiful guns!

I have the WC SP101 and love it. But it sure does need its big brother alongside it in the safe.

Edited by hipower

Im not up on all the new configurations that come out these days, so when my brother inlaw over in VA asked my opinion on a first gun for carry & target, I pulled up GB on what used to what I would buy and was pleasantly surprised by the S&W 686 + 3" ! Well now, I don't have a 357 and thought I really don't need one but after looking over that offering, I gotta say its on my bucket list now. Iv been a fan of 3" carry for decades and finaly my fav S&W 357 model is alive & well in a 3".  You can see what they get for a vintage short run 66 in 3".  As for the Ruger SP and Security Six guns.... not so much. Back when I used to do a lot of trigger work, the pile of castings that are touched up to spec inside a Ruger never came close to the superior "Old World" machined lock works of the Smiths.  S&W has come along with castings also these days but lock work for lock work, I would take the strain screw leaf powered  Smith over a coil powered Ruger in this frame size. Not that the Ruger cant have a decent pull wise tuned trigger, they just don't "feel" as nice cycling as a well worked Smith IMO.  Yup that new 686 sure is a sweet hart!

I currently have three wheel guns, an LCR-22, LCR-9mm and a SP-101 in .22. I have had the bug for awhile now for a .357 wheel gun to go with my Marlin .357 lever gun. I have been leaning towards a Ruger Security 6 with 5-6” barrel in stainless. Certainly willing to be talked into something else. Yes I like Rugers but have other brands :-)

The Colt Trooper never got the respect it is due.  For a LOT less money than a Python, you got a really nice trigger in a durable, accurate package.  I still prefer it to the S&W revolvers.

Although my S&W M19-1 is a really sweet shooter.  That light frame and cylinder makes double-action shooting smooth and easy.  But the low mass also means that heavy .357 loads can cause problems. So I don't shoot it as much as I would like to.

The versatility of a good .357 revolver is unmatched.  Light .38 reloads make it as cheap to plink with as a .22.  Heavy .357 loads can easily take deer and even black bear at reasonable distances.  And the high-velocity 125gr JHP is still the standard everything else is measured against for one-stop defensive shots.

Ruger makes a good revolver.  They are durable, reliable, and accurate.  But, they have never really gotten me excited.  That's the great thing about capitalism; it's not one-size fits all and you have many choices!

34 minutes ago, 1gewehr said:

The Colt Trooper never got the respect it is due.  For a LOT less money than a Python, you got a really nice trigger in a durable, accurate package.  I still prefer it to the S&W revolvers.

Although my S&W M19-1 is a really sweet shooter.  That light frame and cylinder makes double-action shooting smooth and easy.  But the low mass also means that heavy .357 loads can cause problems. So I don't shoot it as much as I would like to.

The versatility of a good .357 revolver is unmatched.  Light .38 reloads make it as cheap to plink with as a .22.  Heavy .357 loads can easily take deer and even black bear at reasonable distances.  And the high-velocity 125gr JHP is still the standard everything else is measured against for one-stop defensive shots.

Ruger makes a good revolver.  They are durable, reliable, and accurate.  But, they have never really gotten me excited.  That's the great thing about capitalism; it's not one-size fits all and you have many choices!

I really appreciate your comments here. Dad had a Trooper for several years and it was his favorite pistol for a while. I don't know what happened to it, whether sold or traded, but it sure seemed pretty good to me in my teens.

Currently, I do prefer the M19 Smiths over the Rugers, but not by much. lol

I've been blessed to have been able to shoot a great many, and own a few, of these old wheel guns. They are beginning to be appreciated again.

A friend of mine has a Colt Trooper that belonged to his father. He wanted me to take it home and "work on it." I still don't know if he thought it needed trigger work, or what. I felt the lockwork, opened it up, looked at it, and thought "there's nothing to do here." That thing was as smooth as anyone could ask for. I'll confess that I really had a hard time trying to keep from talking him out of it. I was impressed.

I am not (per se) a "wheelgun guy"  But I do own several.  I have a Colt Agent .38 (blued), a Colt King Cobra .357 (blued), a Colt Anaconda .44 magnum (stainless), a Smith and Wesson model 66 .357, and a Dan Wesson .44 Magnum.  I am extremely partial to the Colt trigger--but the colts have gotten so valuable I rarely carry or shoot them.  (I am a trigger guy as far as what I REALLY like about weapons.)  The Smith and Wesson has the least amount of emotional ties and for this reason when I carry a revolver, I carry this one.  The Colt Anaconda is like new in the original box and it pretty much just decorates my safe.  When I want to bring out the "big gun" I bring out the Dan Wesson which is a tank.  My wife prefers to shoot it at the range loaded with 44 special.  The recoil on this big handgun loaded with the lesser load is almost non existent.  I will say, though that at our range, there are gongs at 400 yards.  I can "ring the gong" when i load with 44 Magnum but NOT with 44 special.  A guy at the range told me it is a testament to how good the 44 magnum cartridge is, but it may just be my dumb ass not shooting straight.  I will say that it is amusing to watch the faces of the guys at the range when my little wife pulls out the 44 Magnum and starts mowing down the knock down targets (loaded with Specials of course--no magnums on the steel)

On 12/17/2016 at 1:10 AM, res308 said:

I know this same question in various forms has been asked many times. But, I'll ask it anyway.  

I carry the Glock 23 on duty, yes I'm stuck with .40 at work. 

I love my little FDE Glock 19. The 19 is my favorite model Glock and I can't picture myself ever being without one. 

Here lately I've been packing my Kimber TLE when I'm off duty. It's been a refreshing change. 

BUT, sometimes (well, all the time) I get the itch to carry a good old wheel gun. I haven't gone back to doing that (yet) since my only revolver nowadays is my Smith 686-1. Nothing will change the fact that, FOR ME, nothing will replace the .357 Magnum as my all-around favorite handgun caliber. I also just thoroughly enjoy shooting a wheel gun more than most anything else.

I had seriously thought about getting a Dan Wesson Valor this coming year, but the more I thought about it, I got to looking at the fact that I could buy TWO very nice revolvers that I've always wanted and still have money left over.

I find myself wanting to treat myself this coming year to a 686 with a 3" barrel, AND either an airweight in .357, or the 640 Pro. And I'd carry them both. I'll have to see how finances go. I'm not sure at this point if I'll have to sell the Kimber to make that happen. Don't really want to, but if I have to, so be it.

Anybody else ever have this strong of an urge floating around that just WILL NOT go away?

Yep, I can identify.  I really don't have a need for it, and I definitely can't afford it right now.  But man oh man, I want one of these pretty badly... 

https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-686-deluxe-357mag-3-ss-as-7rd.html

I will try to keep this short. I used to shoot competitively and I have a pretty quick trigger finger, however quick may not be accurate! I went back to shoot wheel gun when I lucked up on a S&W model 610 that shoots 10mm and .40S&W using moonclips. I can tell you for certain, with only 6 shots before you are empty as opposed to 21 rounds you will definetly slow down a bit and make those 6 shots hit in the A zone. It made me a better shot by going back to the wheel gun for a time. I call wheel guns "real" guns and semi-autos as bottom feeders. LOL

• Like 1