After Deer Season....What's next?

Well, I know for sure that in my unit we have 3 weeks left from tomorrow to fill our tags. I hope we all will have our freezers full of venison by then <toast>:cheers:.........So, now I'm thinking what to do until Turkey season. Last year I started coyote hunting but really didn't do much good. I'm gonna head back out and give it another try just to be out in the woods if nothing else. I have a good call and am set up pretty good for it, but I'm going to give ladder type treestands a try this year. There are quite a few on my lease and even a few pretty good shooting houses. Have any of you hunted yotes from stands? I've seen a lot of bobcat and coyote tracks during deer season so I know they are there. Any tips or suggestions on how to get these critters in close enough for a shot?

• Like 1

I've hunted them from a stand several times and with some luck.  Just remember that they can pinpoint the sound with pretty good accuracy. Most people say that they charge right in. But my experience has shown me that's not always true. They like to "check up". Figure out where the dog is likely to stop and try and pinpoint your position. It might be the top of a ridge, the other side of a gully (looking before they drop in), or the point of a field. By this time of year their kind of skidish and less likely to commit. Use the lip squeak to bring them in that last little bit.

• Like 1

That is my slowest time of the year.  For me it will be a little bit of sleeping in on the weekends.  Chores in the yard, cleaning guns, respooling fishing reels, and whatever maintenance my boat needs to get it ready for the next year.  Once mid March rolls around I'll start fishing again and won't have a free weekend between fishing and hunting until next January.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Shoot a mess of squirrels after deer season is over. Fry them, or make squirrel and dumplings.

After that, fish!

I'm going to restock my freezer with crappie for sure. I usually get it done even before the spawn. I love those cold water crappie!!!  I've not had squirrel dumplings in many years. I'd shoot and clean them, then my Mom used to fry them up with flour, pepper etc....then take the meat off of the bones and make dumplings and hot biscuits!! Lip smacking good!! 

• Like 1

In addition to some fence repair, I would like to do some coyote hunting. I have a Foxpro caller, but I've never seen a coyote in my area. I've heard them in the distance at night, but never seen one in my hunting woods. Bobcats and foxes... yes, coyotes... no. I'll see if the Foxpro can work some magic.