New M&P on the way

musicman

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/12/17/smith-wesson-mp-m2-0/

I figured as the resident Smith & Wesson fanboy I should post this up.

I'm curious, but honestly it doesn't seem to be much different, just a little slicked up and smoothed out.  They talk about a new trigger group, and that's good news.  They have an amazing trigger in the Performance Center Shield.  If the regular M&Ps get the same treatment, I may go ahead and grab a new one or two.  I hope they don't do something stupid like change up the mags so they aren't compatible with the current guns.  That would severely hack me off, cuz I haz bunches already.

Though I've been wanting something completely new and different from S&W, I can understand this.  I think if it comes with a good... and CONSISTENT trigger that may win over some folks who maybe aren't diehard Glock or XD types.

And yes, I know Apex exists (and they're moving out of California to a shop 12 times larger!  Good on 'em!) but not everyone wants to have to buy another $100 in parts to get a good trigger.

I hope this will help reduce the financial effect to S&W of softening demand for guns in general as the election and Christmas rush die down.

Edited by musicman
13 hours ago, musicman said:

And what brand were those wheelguns?  :cool:

I didn't have an M&P back then 'cuz money.  Now I have 6 M&Ps, and more S&Ws, too.  

:usa:

Braggart! lol

15 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Good luck with that.

I just ordered a new M&P PERFORMANCE CENTER M&P9L PRO SERIES C.O.R.E. Should be here Tuesday.

I have never had any contact with the C.O.R.E. series of pistols. Are the radically different/better than the standard M&P9?

But I must admit to having a desire for the M&P9L myself. But currently, that desire will have to wait. Financially...I'm just not able to buy for a while longer.

21 minutes ago, hipower said:

I have never had any contact with the C.O.R.E. series of pistols. Are the radically different/better than the standard M&P9?

But I must admit to having a desire for the M&P9L myself. But currently, that desire will have to wait. Financially...I'm just not able to buy for a while longer.

Depends on the application. The C.O.R.E lets you add an optic without removing the sights. (some optics will co-witness) The “L” gives you a longer barrel. The Performance Center” gives you a little smoother gun than the standard production line models. The application for mine is a paper puncher. I personally wouldn’t use one (optic) for a carry gun; but you could.

This will be the first 9 I’ve owned in over 25 years. I have a full size, compact, and Shield in 40S&W. So I really won’t know how it compares to a standard 9.

I really wanted a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro for an optic. But Leupold is sold out of the adapter plates and don’t know when they will be back in stock.  So unless I run across one of those it will probably be the Vortex Venom for the time being.

14 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Depends on the application. The C.O.R.E lets you add an optic without removing the sights. (some optics will co-witness) The “L” gives you a longer barrel. The Performance Center” gives you a little smoother gun than the standard production line models. The application for mine is a paper puncher. I personally wouldn’t use one (optic) for a carry gun; but you could.

This will be the first 9 I’ve owned in over 25 years. I have a full size, compact, and Shield in 40S&W. So I really won’t know how it compares to a standard 9.

I really wanted a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro for an optic. But Leupold is sold out of the adapter plates and don’t know when they will be back in stock.  So unless I run across one of those it will probably be the Vortex Venom for the time being.

Thanks. Good comments. I've owned several M&P pistols, like you, but never tried an optic setup on one. Hopefully in the future I will get there.

I applaude your dedication to the 40. I have several and like the round in various guns. My all time favorite would have to be the G24 and in an old Taurus PT100.

18 hours ago, TGO David said:

Resident fanboy?  Is this a recent thing?  :lol:

C'mon.  Pretty sure I was toting an M&P before you ever bought one, bubba.  You were a strict adherent to the wheel-gun religion. :)

I'm glad to see you diversified!

An M&P IS a revolver. Later referred to as the Model 10. I'm not sure what this abomination is.

Got the 2.0 in hand tonight.  It's nothing groundbreaking, but it is a nicely revised M&P, and the trigger on this example is better.  Super clean break probably just over 5 lbs (no pull weight scale, sorry) and a nice "click" reset.  Takeup is a little gritty and could use smoothing.

For new stuff... it has a loaded chamber indicator which I don't really care about.  Press check or nothing, haha!  The grip texture is like the 45 shield, but maybe just a SMIDGE less rough.  I like it. The mag bodies seem exactly the same as the mags for the regular M&P, but the baseplate it ever so slightly shaped differently, with a little more width.  Not as flared as the Vickers baseplates, but along those lines.

When you stare at it long enough, you realize that the slide, frame, and palm swell are 3 different shades of FDE.  Kind of a bummer, but not a huge deal, imho.

All in all, I like it.  I look forward to what PC models may be coming down the pipe over the next few years.

• Administrator

FWIW, the 5-inch model is the only one that has the loaded chamber indicator on the top of the slide.  I have reason to believe that it is on the 5-inch FDE model simply because it was a requirement from the military when they had a Request For Proposals out to the various manufacturers and this was Smith & Wesson's hat in the ring.

The 4-inch versions do not have it.