PSA Ammo not such a good deal

KahrMan

Someone posted about a week ago a good deal PSA was running.  $199 for 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 with free shipping.  I bought 1000 rounds.  It arrived today.

The first pic is how it looked when I opened the box.  Not that of a big deal because I was going to put it in an ammo can.  Then I start pulling some of it out.

First off, they only sent 960 rounds or 24 boxes.  Second, the whole bottom layer of boxes, 15, are wet.  Cardboard coming apart when you pick it up.

Should I pull the ammo out of the cardboard boxes and let them air dry and not worry about it or send the whole lot back and ask for a refund?

Edited by KahrMan
23 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

Someone posted about a week ago a good deal PSA was running.  $199 for 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 with free shipping.  I bought 1000 rounds.  It arrived today.

The first pic is how it looked when I opened the box.  Not that of a big deal because I was going to put it in an ammo can.  Then I start pulling some of it out.

First off, they only sent 960 rounds or 24 boxes.  Second, the whole bottom layer of boxes, 15, are wet.  Cardboard coming apart when you pick it up.

Should I pull the ammo out of the cardboard boxes and let them air dry and not worry about it or send the whole lot back and ask for a refund?

Crap that is the worst job of shipping explosive items I have ever seen. I would call them to complain and see what they offer to do. If you were going to shoot them all this week, it would probably not be a big deal, but who knows how much rust you will get in 2 or 3 months. Plus you did not get what they advertised at all.

I am betting this all got wet even before packing and that is why some of the boxes are missing. Lazy stock guys is probably more to blame that PSA as a whole. They figure if the box went out that their job is done...even if they did a crap job. Calling them will hopefully let them fix the issue before more people get this done to them.

• Moderators

That's odd and surprising. Unless by chance the ad mentioned that it was shipped somewhat loose I wouldn't be happy. If it mentioned "seconds" or "loose" or something like that, then it is a bit more forgivable. Wet? That seems unacceptable in any circumstance, but unsure if it is the fault of PSA or UPS/Fedex. If it was left in the rain then that makes sense.

Regardless, I'd contact PSA and let them know politely you were dissatisfied. Give them the chance to make it right. Likely they would either reimburse you or ship you more ammo. Typically returns on ammo are always 100% no go. Perhaps UPS/Fedex insurance comes into play here as well.

If that doesn't work, I'd consider contacting your credit card company and explaining the situation. They might be willing to help you out some.

• Like 1

I would try to contact PSA and see what they offer. I've been told their customer service is HORRIBLE though. Otherwise I'd say you should let them air dry and see what happens. 

You almost have to wonder if they short ship the orders and hope people won't bother to count or if they just have so many orders someone screwed up.

Last ammo shipment I got from PSA wasn't that bad as seen here, but the packing job had me shaking my head.  Very much at the mercy of the elements like you seemingly were @KahrMan.  They literally just slapped a shipping label on a box from the manufacturer and sent it to me.  No extra protection, padding, nothing.

Seemingly, they took a box off of a palet and sent it on to me.  The box itself had printed on it clear in big bold lettering "Small Arms Ammunition, 1000 Centerfire Pistol Cartridges."  Not exactly the advertisement I wanted to have sitting on the front porch of my townhouse for however much time lapsed in between delivery and my coming home.

image-IMG_20161118_150809.jpg

Edited by btq96r

Just talked to PSA.  After sitting on hold for 49 minutes they finally answered.  The gentleman I spoke with was fantastic.  He seemed genuinely irritated that they sent out wet ammo.  He sent me a UPS label and RMA form so I could send it back and they will be replacing it.  That is the kind of customer service I like.  They apologized, said ship it back and we will make it right.  

• Like 6

Good to hear they're going to make things right.  Not only for the inconvenience and unacceptability of the whole situation, but those poly-coated cases rust with a quickness when exposed to moisture and there is no sealant on those particular rounds.

Edited by Garufa
1 hour ago, KahrMan said:

Just talked to PSA.  After sitting on hold for 49 minutes they finally answered.  The gentleman I spoke with was fantastic.  He seemed genuinely irritated that they sent out wet ammo.  He sent me a UPS label and RMA form so I could send it back and they will be replacing it.  That is the kind of customer service I like.  They apologized, said ship it back and we will make it right.  

Great to hear. Usually and customer service person is irritated to hear this stuff happened, because at the very least it causes them more work. At the most, it is bad for the customer. Hopefully you do not have to wait long to get the fresh shipment.

Heck, I almost expected them to just say keep it and ship you more since the shipping has to be a bit on it.

Edited by Ronald_55

I don't think it left PSA like that.  I'm not positive because you didn't post good pics of the box but I would be willing to bet that the original box was damaged, likely from water and one of its stops and it started coming out of the box.  UPS or FedEx would have then repackaged everything that they had there and let it continue on to its destination.  They can't refuse a package for you so they let you do it when you get it.  Having worked at Fed for some time, thats what it looked like to me.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, btq96r said:

Last ammo shipment I got from PSA wasn't that bad as seen here, but the packing job had me shaking my head.  Very much at the mercy of the elements like you seemingly were @KahrMan.  They literally just slapped a shipping label on a box from the manufacturer and sent it to me.  No extra protection, padding, nothing.

Seemingly, they took a box off of a palet and sent it on to me.  The box itself had printed on it clear in big bold lettering "Small Arms Ammunition, 1000 Centerfire Pistol Cartridges."  Not exactly the advertisement I wanted to have sitting on the front porch of my townhouse for however much time lapsed in between delivery and my coming home.

image-IMG_20161118_150809.jpg

Anytime I've ordered bulk quantities, that's exactly how it's been shipped. 

I'm also surprised at what Kahrman got. I'd guess that was a shipper repackage due to a wet box that the bottom fell out of at some point in its travels. 

Edited by peejman
29 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

I don't think it left PSA like that.  I'm not positive because you didn't post good pics of the box but I would be willing to bet that the original box was damaged, likely from water and one of its stops and it started coming out of the box.  UPS or FedEx would have then repackaged everything that they had there and let it continue on to its destination.  They can't refuse a package for you so they let you do it when you get it.  Having worked at Fed for some time, thats what it looked like to me.  

The shipping box did not have any damage.  I guess it is possible that UPS reboxed it after they damaged it but I think that would be highly unlikely.  Could you imagine the lawsuit UPS would face if they were caught covering up damage they caused so the original shipper had to pay for it?  In todays climate if this was going on some UPS driver would have ratted them out.

I think PSA got bombarded with orders and they stock guys in the warehouse just packed up what they had and sent it out.  Guess we will never know for sure.

2 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

The shipping box did not have any damage.  I guess it is possible that UPS reboxed it after they damaged it but I think that would be highly unlikely.  Could you imagine the lawsuit UPS would face if they were caught covering up damage they caused so the original shipper had to pay for it?  In todays climate if this was going on some UPS driver would have ratted them out.

I think PSA got bombarded with orders and they stock guys in the warehouse just packed up what they had and sent it out.  Guess we will never know for sure.

I would think if they did repack it, like the USPS, they would tag it as a repack. I have gotten packages that had postal stickers basically saying "sorry we destroyed the box"

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

They aren't doing anything under the table.  They are following policy.  Go to a UPS or FedEx store and ask them what happens if a box is damaged to the point that stuff starts falling out?  I used to work in Shipping and Receiving for the company I'm with now.  I've received three hundred cassettes in a trash bag before with the original shipping label loose inside the bag.  This is just part of their of their policy and the way that they operate.  They aren't covering anything up, they are doing their jobs.  The fact that some of the individual boxes of ammo were missing their boxes completely, and you were 60 rounds short, combined with the box that is obviously way too big, has all of the signs of a damaged rebox at a shipping hub.  

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

I would think if they did repack it, like the USPS, they would tag it as a repack. I have gotten packages that had postal stickers basically saying "sorry we destroyed the box"

Not necessarily.  If the original shipping label is intact, it can be reused.  If its not, but there is enough to reprint a label, then they will reprint it at the hub. 

11 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Not necessarily.  If the original shipping label is intact, it can be reused.  If its not, but there is enough to reprint a label, then they will reprint it at the hub. 

May be policy and I can see why a little bit, but still not the best way to handle it. It keeps things moving, but not always in the recipients' best interest.

Just now, Ronald_55 said:

May be policy and I can see why a little bit, but still not the best way to handle it. It keeps things moving, but not always in the recipients' best interest.

This isn't new.  Its been going on as long as their have been shipping companies.  

43 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

They aren't doing anything under the table.  They are following policy.  Go to a UPS or FedEx store and ask them what happens if a box is damaged to the point that stuff starts falling out?  I used to work in Shipping and Receiving for the company I'm with now.  I've received three hundred cassettes in a trash bag before with the original shipping label loose inside the bag.  This is just part of their of their policy and the way that they operate.  They aren't covering anything up, they are doing their jobs.  The fact that some of the individual boxes of ammo were missing their boxes completely, and you were 60 rounds short, combined with the box that is obviously way too big, has all of the signs of a damaged rebox at a shipping hub.  

I disagree.  If they damage your shipment and then hide that damage by reboxing it so that they do not have to pay for the damage they caused then that is very shady if not illegal.

PSA is having to spend money to have this ammo shipped back and probably will not be able sell it or if they do it will be at a reduced price.  All of this cost PSA money.  If UPS caused the damage then they should be footing the bill to make it right, not PSA.

4 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

I disagree.  If they damage your shipment and then hide that damage by reboxing it so that they do not have to pay for the damage they caused then that is very shady if not illegal.

PSA is having to spend money to have this ammo shipped back and probably will not be able sell it or if they do it will be at a reduced price.  All of this cost PSA money.  If UPS caused the damage then they should be footing the bill to make it right, not PSA.

They aren't trying to hide anything.