Knife related fashion advice

I carry a knife everyday, typically my damascus TGO Magic. In an effort to minimize scratches on my favorite knife I don't typically put anything else in the pocket I carry my knife in (keys, change, etc).

I've been TDY out in Oklahoma for the last couple of months and I came across these jeans made by Ariat (the boot company). They have a built in knife pocket that allows me to carry my knife and use the pocket without fear of damage to my knife. A small thing I know but it's made me pretty happy.

Merry Christmas y'all.

IMG_0849.thumb.JPG.c0db17f5a187924354f263cfb7e17b65.JPG

• Like 8
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, bud said:

I like the idea of a knife specific pocket.

As i reached the counter to pay for my burger at the Grill Shack a couple weeks ago, I shoved my hand into my pocket reaching for my wallet. Felt a strange pain and withdrew my hand as blood pulsed from my finger tip. 

All could have been prevented if I'd have had a knife specific pocket. I went back to edc my cheap Kershaw with a blade lock thankful that my Magic just bit my finger instead of my leg. 

I did the same thing with my Magic. That wicked edge bites deep. It got replaced by my Strider for edc for that reason. 

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, bud said:

They do cut deep. It was a lot of blood, and I'm pretty sure I saw the lady at the Grill Shack window enjoying the fear in my eyes. She preps food, and is probably tougher than i am when it comes to getting cut. 

The consolation was that I had just started carrying the Magic and it was still factory sharp and clean, so it provided a good clean cut.

Mine was too at the time. They're an awesome knife, but I think the design (while totally cool) makes them prone to inadvertent pocket openings. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Major Kong said:

The model is the M4 Rebar. Cheapest online place I found them was the Boot Barn website. They were on sale for $35.

I have a couple pair of their jeans. Although no M4 Rebar versions with dedicated knife pocket. Good jeans, and after the first pair I was happy to pay the $60 each I paid for mine at Frenchs. I'll have to find some of these with the knife pocket.

13 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Mine was too at the time. They're an awesome knife, but I think the design (while totally cool) makes them prone to inadvertent pocket openings. 

My magic actually takes some force to open. There is absolutely no way it could inadvertently open in my pocket.   

The piece you slide with your thumb is fairly stiff on mine. I wonder if it the same on others. 

1 hour ago, KahrMan said:

My magic actually takes some force to open. There is absolutely no way it could inadvertently open in my pocket.   

The piece you slide with your thumb is fairly stiff on mine. I wonder if it the same on others. 

I agree with Kharman, my Magic takes a firm, deliberate push to open. Almost difficult for smaller hands with a touch of the old man's disease setting in. Arthritis for you younger guys without it.

Edited by hipower
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, bud said:

While it's tougher to make your  thumb exert the down and sideways force needed to open the magic, it's not that many foot lbs of pressure needed when applied directly to the side of the lever. A bump into a corner of a desk, car, etc could spring it very easily, especially if your body weight is doing the bumping.

Bingo. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 5:29 PM, bud said:

While it's tougher to make your  thumb exert the down and sideways force needed to open the magic, it's not that many foot lbs of pressure needed when applied directly to the side of the lever. A bump into a corner of a desk, car, etc could spring it very easily, especially if your body weight is doing the bumping.

Mine requires a firm force to open but I will be more careful about how it's placed in my pocket.