BassPro or Cabela's

Ronald_55

I've never been to Cabela's but probably would if it were closer over Bass Pro, just because I've been to BP several times and there's really not a lot there for a special trip.

Something to ask yourself: does Cabela's have a beef jerky store next door?

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, ShamGlock said:

I believe the purchase will be finalized in January. I'm curious to see how many Cabelas locations survive the acquisition.

I figure since the ones next to Bristol Tennessee are 5 minutes apart one of them isn't  going to survive.

15 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I've never been to Cabela's but probably would if it were closer over Bass Pro, just because I've been to BP several times and there's really not a lot there for a special trip.

Something to ask yourself: does Cabela's have a beef jerky store next door?

No but my dad does make some mean deer jerky. So I don't have to worry about it.

I order on line at Cabelas and no sales tax and free shipping when possible, but guess part of that will end when & if the merger goes thru.  I read on another forum where the gooberment is asking for more time to review the merger info so it's still in process I guess.  

• Like 1

For shooters Cabelas beats BP hands down. I'm hoping Cabelas stay a while longer in Bristol. They got a real sweetheart deal from the idiots running Bristol, VA so my thinking is they'll be around at least a couple more years.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, jpx2rk said:

I order on line at Cabelas and no sales tax and free shipping when possible, but guess part of that will end when & if the merger goes thru.  I read on another forum where the gooberment is asking for more time to review the merger info so it's still in process I guess.  

Yeah I order for delivery from Cabela's, because if I drive the few minutes there from work, I pay tax. And I get free shipping most of the time

19 minutes ago, Raoul said:

For shooters Cabelas beats BP hands down. I'm hoping Cabelas stay a while longer in Bristol. They got a real sweetheart deal from the idiots running Bristol, VA so my thinking is they'll be around at least a couple more years.

Yeah, that mountain of gravel they had to pull out of there was stupid. They are begging for more money to finish the interior roads now.

Only thing I dislike about Cabela's is that they have no TN FFL, so they have to turn over pistols  to a TN FFL for me to buy them. The guy that owns Shooters Edge in Piney Flats lives in Bristol and will pick them up though, so no shipping. They still charge a transfer fee though.

56 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Yeah, that mountain of gravel they had to pull out of there was stupid. They are begging for more money to finish the interior roads now.

Only thing I dislike about Cabela's is that they have no TN FFL, so they have to turn over pistols  to a TN FFL for me to buy them. The guy that owns Shooters Edge in Piney Flats lives in Bristol and will pick them up though, so no shipping. They still charge a transfer fee though.

There's not many gun deals at Cabelas. I've had good luck with reloading supplies. I seem to find better gun deals at smaller local shops.

• Like 1

My $0.02 is neither, I prefer Academy sports. I have been in 6 or 7 different BPS and I still don't need 100 different versions of a camo T-shirt. Personally I think they have too many options. Also when I go to BPS or Cabela's my first thought is how much of my purchase is going towards all the bells and whistles. Don't get me wrong, my grand kids love the aquariums and such, but Academy is my sort of store.

• Like 1

No contest.  Can't stand Bass Pro and their thievery,er... high prices.  Selection is nice, but not at that cost.  Every year or so I stop at the Opry Mills store, look around for awhile, and leave with empty hands.  Feels like they should rename themselves "Retail Plus", after their pricing structure.  I feel the same about Gander Mountain.

I've enjoyed Cabela's every time, and stop in the Bowling Green store any time we're going to see the wifey's fam in Central KY.  Fair ammo and reloading prices, and some great accessories I don't see elsewhere.  They usually end up stealing a couple hundred bucks from me, but I don't mind.

I'm super bummed about the Bass Pro buyout, as well.

• Like 3

Bass Pro prices are terrible and the store brands are very low quality.  I am definitely a Cabela's loyalist and am a Club Member.  I receive lots of great deals, free shipping, generous club points to use toward purchases and at least once a month have a 10% off + free shipping deal.  Bummed about the Bass Pro buyout, hope it falls through.  Cabela's is definitely aimed more toward hunting and outdoors (which works well for me) as opposed to Bass Pro which is aimed more toward fishing.   I do enjoy the no sales tax since they do not have a brick and mortar store in Tennessee but I suspect that will soon change.  The Cabela's store brands have always been high quality and a lot of the store brand items have lifetime guarantees which is nice (deer blinds, trail cameras, hunting boots, etc.) that I have purchased.  The only thing negative that I have found about Cabela's is their firearm prices but Bass Pro is just as bad.   As is Gander Mountain, Academy, etc.  All the big box stores are overpriced in regards to firearms. 

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

My $0.02 is neither, I prefer Academy sports. I have been in 6 or 7 different BPS and I still don't need 100 different versions of a camo T-shirt. Personally I think they have too many options. Also when I go to BPS or Cabela's my first thought is how much of my purchase is going towards all the bells and whistles. Don't get me wrong, my grand kids love the aquariums and such, but Academy is my sort of store.

I like Academy too, especially for ammo desls.

1 hour ago, Raoul said:

You are aware they put that Cabelas on top of an old quarry? All that "gravel" was originally one bigass rock.

Yeah I know. They spent tons to chip it up. Stupid waste of money. I am guessing someone important owned it or ajacent land and wanted to cash in.

Just now, Ronald_55 said:

Yeah I know. They spent tons to chip it up. Stupid waste of money. I am guessing someone important owned it or ajacent land and wanted to cash in.

It's more complicated. The guy who was city manager at the time wanted to make his mark as a pro development kinda pol apparently.

I know the folks who made money off of the bigass rock pile and they weren't particularly political, just happened to own one of the last large tracts of land in a city that can't annex into the county, thanks to VA laws.

The idiot savant city council fell for it. Part of that was jealousy of Bristol, TN. Part of it was their thinking they could swindle a few bucks off the deal. And part of it was a desperate development company that was losing their ass and needed badly to do some kind of deal no matter what the actual chances of it working were.

Looks like their most memorable accomplishment will be the bankruptcy of one of the few remaining independent cities in the state of VA.

• Like 2

Cabela's... To me it is not even close. The food prep stuff that Cabela's sells is top notch. I'm bummed about BP buying them. What really sucks is that I lived in Ft Oglethorpe GA for 10 years. Right after we moved there they started working on the roads and the underground infrastructure there. So, for 10 years I lived with a bunch of torn up roads on the main way for me to get in and out.

We were big fans of Costco when we moved up from Atlanta but there was not one in the Chattanooga area. So what happens after we move? The build a Costco and a Cabela's that is about 6 minutes from our old house and I would have driven right past twice a day minimum...

We pop down to the one in Huntsville every couple of months. Gives us an excuse to break out of the normal weekend routine. Sometimes we take back roads to get there just to see different areas and not drone down the interstate

Mark

On 12/22/2016 at 9:36 AM, Mark A said:

Cabela's... To me it is not even close. The food prep stuff that Cabela's sells is top notch. I'm bummed about BP buying them. What really sucks is that I lived in Ft Oglethorpe GA for 10 years. Right after we moved there they started working on the roads and the underground infrastructure there. So, for 10 years I lived with a bunch of torn up roads on the main way for me to get in and out.

We were big fans of Costco when we moved up from Atlanta but there was not one in the Chattanooga area. So what happens after we move? The build a Costco and a Cabela's that is about 6 minutes from our old house and I would have driven right past twice a day minimum...

We pop down to the one in Huntsville every couple of months. Gives us an excuse to break out of the normal weekend routine. Sometimes we take back roads to get there just to see different areas and not drone down the interstate

Mark

You definitely moved at a wrong time.  lol.   There's a Bass Pro, Cabela's and Costco all within a few miles from each other.   We pit stopped at that new Cabela's this past summer on our way to South Carolina for vacation.  I think I saw 3 Cabela's on I-75 on the way.  Wish we had Cabela's in Tennessee instead of 6 Bass Pro's.