You might be a prepper if...

1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

Better have added stabilizer to that water or it will be good and green in a while. 

I recall that the British Navy, back in the day, dropped silver coins in their freshwater barrels to prevent such things. Probably only need a 1/10 troy ounce round for a 5 gallon bucket, seeing as such are probably more silver than the coinage used back when.

Argh... topic drift.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2017 at 2:54 PM, monkeylizard said:

You might be a prepper if . . .

You have a plan for raiding the local elementary school cafeteria and hauling off a heavy load of their industrial sized cans of green beans and chocolate pudding.

efcc6a7cc502aa25d5728ae15eb79dd7.jpg

That is why body armor and guns are the first things you stock up on. 

In reality unless there was a sudden population killer like a plague, there would be nothing left very quickly. If a emp or such took out enough area there would be chaos immediately. And as you eluded, hungry people become very dangerous. Not a pretty sight.

On 11/27/2017 at 6:57 PM, Ronald_55 said:

That is why body armor and guns are the first things you stock up on. 

In reality unless there was a sudden population killer like a plague, there would be nothing left very quickly. If a emp or such took out enough area there would be chaos immediately. And as you eluded, hungry people become very dangerous. Not a pretty sight.

So a smart person or persons just might be tempted to have enough supplies stocked up to weather the immediate event so he/she/they will not even have to go out at all in the early aftermath.  Such a smart person could, hypothetically, let the less prepared and more confrontational or desperate members of society fight it out over what is left at the store, etc.  Then, after those confrontational and desperate individuals, with assistance from starvation, accidents and disease have thinned each other out (and the survivors among them have potentially expended much of their ammo, taken losses and casualties and received injuries doing so) said smart person or persons could potentially come from a position of having been well supplied, well fed and well rested to pick off said survivors and reap the benefits of all that stuff having already been scavenged and so conveniently brought to a few, well stocked places.  Theoretically.

Edited by JAB
  • Dislike 1
24 minutes ago, SWCUMBERLAND said:

A theory, sir, that, "stripped of all disguise, is surely the mere primitive doctrine that might is right"*.

Not by my hand, and as far as may be ethically possible, not on my watch.

SWC a/k/a KI7CIL

* excerpted from George VI's War Speech

To each their own.  I'd rather be primitive and alive - and help my friends and family stay alive - than civilized and dead or watch my loved ones die.  You can bet that most other people who survive the initial days will quickly let go of the illusion of social nicety.  In the end, when the fetters of social norms come off, the stark reality is that might most often is right - or at least needn't be concerned with what others believe to be wrong.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, JAB said:

So a smart person or persons just might be tempted to have enough supplies stocked up to weather the immediate event so he/she/they will not even have to go out at all in the early aftermath.  Such a smart person could, hypothetically, let the less prepared and more confrontational or desperate members of society fight it out over what is left at the store, etc.  Then, after those confrontational and desperate individuals, with assistance from starvation, accidents and disease have thinned each other out (and the survivors among them have potentially expended much of their ammo, taken losses and casualties and received injuries doing so) said smart person or persons could potentially come from a position of having been well supplied, well fed and well rested to pick off said survivors and reap the benefits of all that stuff having already been scavenged and so conveniently brought to a few, well stocked places.  Theoretically.

Staying hidden with supplies is a good plan if you CAN stay hidden.

Anybody left out in the open after a while are possibly going to be pretty feral unless they pulled together an organized group. Those groups could be the big danger if they are hostile. 

It really all depends on what kind of S*** hit the fan. Never the less it will be risky showing compassion. It is easily interpreted as weakness. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SWCUMBERLAND said:

On this, sir, you and I will not agree, nor convince each other.

As to your bet...how do you propose to collect if you win?

It is okay not to agree.  Everything does not have to be a concensus.

As for 'collecting', well, if my bet is right then I will have a greater chance of still being alive and keeping those about whom I care alive.  That's a pretty good payout, I think.

Edited by JAB
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017 at 3:09 PM, JAB said:

It is okay not to agree.  Everything does not have to be a concensus.

As for 'collecting', well, if my bet is right then I will have a greater chance of still being alive and keeping those about whom I care alive.  That's a pretty good payout, I think.

The premise meant to be pointed out was the "societal nicety" of honoring one's bets. Your view does have validity, to be sure.