My Grandpa's Rifle

Clark2748

Your next step should be to confirm the cartridge chambering. Originally should be .303, it could have been changed when the rifle was sporterized.

It appears to have at least had the barrel cut down and some other front sight installed. 

As rifles go, this wont earn any awards, but it probably holds sentimental value and is likely a decent hunting tool.

Get it sorted and take care of it. A lot of my friends' first shooting experiences were with rifles just like this one. 

Good luck. 

1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

What steps? I'd be amazed if it weren't still chambered in 303 British. Clean the bore and chamber, get some ammo, and fire away.

I've yet to shoot a 303. I think I'd like to.

My first deer rifle was a sporterized Enfield from my grandfather. Someone did some nice engraving on it. Nice rifles to have. Nothing wrong with the .303 British round. I still kick myself for passing up a chance to buy as many as I wanted (non-sporterized) in a gun shop for $79.99 each years back. 

5 minutes ago, Clark2748 said:

I'm going to get on that asap. 79.00? Ouch, but then again I think we all passed up "the good deals" to keep money in the bank and food on the table

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I was a broke college kid, but I could have made a lot of money on them over the years. Who am I kidding, I can't stand to get rid of any gun I get. Lol

• Like 1

It's doubtful that whoever sporterized this rifle would have spent the money to change the caliber. The barrel looks like the original barrel that came with it, but shortened with a modified front sight. I don't think you'd be able to convert it back to its original military configuration so I'd just leave it like it is.

You can take it to a gunsmith to confirm the caliber or if you have a gun sled, you can strap the rifle in and fire it with a string tied to the trigger from a safe position. I've done this a few times with rifles I wasn't sure about. Afterwards, examine the fired cartridge for any signs of a headspace problem or indications that the chamber is larger than .303. Obviously, if a .303 cartridge doesn't fit initially, then it has been downsized to a smaller cartridge. I doubt that will be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LCPfraTN said:

It's doubtful that whoever sporterized this rifle would have spent the money to change the caliber. The barrel looks like the original barrel that came with it, but shortened with a modified front sight. I don't think you'd be able to convert it back to its original military configuration so I'd just leave it like it is.

You can take it to a gunsmith to confirm the caliber or if you have a gun sled, you can strap the rifle in and fire it with a string tied to the trigger from a safe position. I've done this a few times with rifles I wasn't sure about. Afterwards, examine the fired cartridge for any signs of a headspace problem or indications that the chamber is larger than .303. Obviously, if a .303 cartridge doesn't fit initially, then it has been downsized to a smaller cartridge. I doubt that will be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do I remember right that some people has these redone to 30.06?

• 1 month later...

Cheap .303 Brit. ammo still readily available, well, by cheap, I mean under 50 cents a round.  Wolf makes some FMJ and AIM Surplus has it.  Remington and others have hunting ammo, Privi Partisan is probably the most reasonable. 

Don't make the mistake I made when I was new to milsurps.  Bought some surplus ammo, didn't even understand what corrosive ammo was.  Nearly ruined a pristine No. 4 Mk 1 bore by putting off cleaning for a few days.  Opened the bolt and a shocking amount of powdery rust fell out of the action.  Had been standing on its butt, guess the rust was forming so heavy in the bore it was just falling down to the bolt of its own weight.