UPS incompetence

macville

At some point in the last day or two (I believe) UPS left a package under this sign at my front door (on a huge pile of leaves, not even leaned up against the door!) How stupid/lazy can you get? The kicker? They had to walk further to get to this door and it's obviously not the door we use. This was after last week where they left a note that they needed a sig and would try delivering again the next day...only they didn't, they instead the next day just sent it to a UPS Store...but not the closest one to my house! Then it took them 4 more days to deliver the package 4 miles.

Plus, earlier this year when I tried to reopen my UPS business account, they added daily pickup without asking. For three months I would email and call in saying that I never asked for it, so stop it and reverse the charges. It took 4 months in the end (each time they said they took care of it) to get it to stop, but I still have a $25 outstanding charge on my account that they said they would take off but never did.

So at this point I will not willingly chose to use them for shipping anything if I have a choice. FedEx has always had better service for me and when they have screwed up it's been very minor and fixed quickly. So suck it UPS.

IMG_20161222_165217954_HDR.jpg

My UPS guy leaves the packages inside my garage, no kidding.   I have a normal door next to the garage door, sometimes its locked sometimes its not, he will always place them inside if unlocked.  He also gives my dog a snooby snack or something.  He always greets me as Mr. Runco.  I have a really nice cool one! 

• Like 2
  • Moderators

See, I have always had the exact opposite in Cleveland. I cannot think of a single issue I've ever had with UPS. Fedex on the other hand has randomly rescheduled several deliveries over the years. Also, just this week, I'm 90% certain I saw a Fedex employee toss a package from the road onto my neighbors porch. 

Obviously UPS could be guilty of the same, however I very much suspect it generally just comes down to the employee.

• Like 1

UPS missed the mark on this one.  Made it to Franklin (where I live) and got loaded to the wrong truck and took back off to Atlanta and then back to Chattanooga and hopefully back to Franklin for the 2nd time.  Would be nice if it makes it back in time as it's a Christmas present for my wife.  Thanks UPS for your "Operational Conditions" issue.  It was a 2-day Free Shipping so I really shouldn't complain. 

UPS.png

Edited by FJCrusing
19 minutes ago, Fourtyfive said:

Tossed from the road to the porch ? 

I would like to see the person capable of throwing a case of ammunition from the road to my porch.

The exterior box looked perfect so I think it was just used as a giant baby rattle. It wasn't exactly packed well either. The shipping container was a lot bigger than the case of ammunition yet there was not any packaging materials to keep the ammunition form moving around.

SGAmmo is taking care of it, I kept 200 rounds to load magazines for testing and sent the rest back for them to swap.

In case no one knows this is the best self defense ammunition for 7.62x39. It is built like a typical varmint bullet with a pre scored jacket to help expansion. Penetration less than 12" in gel while still working great on hard targets like glass, car doors etc. Today I plan on doing some expansion tests if I have time. The original 8M3 dried up about 15 years ago and has been sought after ever since. SGAmmo had the original manufacturer of the bullet do a run of bullets. Then SGAmmo paid Tula to load this ammunition with the 8M3 bullet. They also have sealed primer pockets and case mouths. As soon as I make sure it performs as intended I will be buying a few more cases.

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

This is a case of newly released 8M3 ammunition I had delivered two days ago by UPS.

ups screwup.jpg

That's got to be a repack as well. This combined with the OP tells me that Tula factory cartons are inadequate for shipping.  

• Like 1

Have you guys seen the inside of a UPS facility? They work like dogs most of the time. I've never worked directly for them but worked in one of the buildings for several months when I was younger. The guys/gals that sort, load, and unload are worked very hard. The drivers deliver in places most of us don't want to drive through. I cut those guys/gals a lot of slack this time of year. At the time the drivers put in for the route they drove. The driver for my area tapped my retaining wall and knocked off the cap block. He offered to come back on his own time to fix it. Had I called in he more than likely would have lost his job. That company isn't easy to work for.

• Like 2

As someone who has worked in transportation for a very long time for multiple companies (including FedEx), I can tell you that most of the issues people have are terminal specific. In other words, the service depends greatly upon the personnel at the facilities through which the freight/packages move. Every different company runs a very similar system to every other. The people are what make most of the difference; however, every company is going to have issues and mistakes and damages and lost freight, etc. As long as human beings are involved, there will be human error. I have had separate customers on the same route serviced by the same driver both hate us and love us. One guy thinks we are the worst carrier in the world, but his neighbor just down the street thinks we are the best. That is just the nature of the business.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have had my share of issues with UPS over the many years I have been making fishing baits. When I order a 5 gallon pail of plastisol it is shipped in a box for what ever reason. This is something they began doing about 3 years ago. For the other previous 15 years they just shipped it in the pail which is very much easier to handle. Just grab the handle and pick it up. Now you have to cut away the box to gain access to the pail handle. The other issue I have with them is I live in a triplex in Cabin C. For some reason when I get a pail delivered it is either left on front porch of A or B and I don't even know if has been delivered until one of the other tennants tell me.

With that said, after many complaints to my supplier about the poor service I finally got the driver to actually bring the carton to the front door of my place but the driver was young lady that could not even pick up the box with the pail in it. I told her I would get it and I went on the truck and cut the box off the pail and picked up the pail and brought it in my house. I told her to take the box with her. She thanked me and that worked only once cause next driver on next order left in on porch B again. The guy that lives in B is a road driver and sometimes is not in town for 2 weeks. So when it said delivered on front porch my son in law went around and hunted it down. Then I filed a complaint and told my supplier I never received the package. They  checked it with UPS and their records showed as being delivered to front porch. The driver was sent back out to confirm where he put the package along with a supervisor. They had my phone number and they called me while parked out in front duplex parking area. That was when I  went around and brought the driver and the supervisor back to my house that clearly has a big letter C above my door.

I showed the supervisor the package and right on the delivery label is states Apt C in the rear. On the front of Apartment B there is a large sign that says Apt C around back with an arrow pointing to my driveway. I was polite but gave the supervisor an ear full of what I had been going through for last couple years. Since then I have ordered 3 pails of material and it is put on my front porch. I guess they finally got the point but only time will tell.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Preacher357 said:

I can tell you that most of the issues people have are terminal specific. 

Fair enough.  Maybe the terminal near me a new manager as of July because ever since then, I don't get my packages.  I get the same crap "we'll look into in and call you in 2 business days." Then in 2 days I get the call from them... "Not on our end, we delivered it.  Someone must have stole it. Thanks for using FedEx."  Seriously? :rant: Going thru it again right now as I type.  Unless Santa brings it, there will be one less gift beneath the tree. :mad:  Unfortunately, not every one ships USPS (which I prefer as my mail lady is terrific :up: ) 

I worked for UPS for 5 1/2 years unloading trucks for 3 of those years and two years sorting packages to any one of the  nine different conveyor belts to the outbound sections with multiple trucks. So I feel I am somewhat qualified to comment on some of this.

1. The packaging is key. We told people if you aren't willing to sit on the package that you are sending then it is not safe to ship. Why you ask? Your package can be at the bottom of a nine foot tall pile of boxes of verifying weight bouncing down the interstate. Look at the trailers as the go buy. They are packed floor to ceiling, front to back.

2. The ammo example shown may have been a box that was damaged in transit or on the conveyor belt system. Sometimes boxes can get jammed together on the belts and they get torn open. When this happened you would have to place all of the items in a replacement box. The smaller boxes that were damaged make me think that that is what happened here. Once the main box is damaged, the smaller boxes came out and became damaged also.

3. Bucket in a box? The shipper is  probably saving money by putting the bucket in a square box. Buckets had to have special handling since the could not ride the conveyor system thus costing more. We had to take them off the truck and put them on a luggage train and drive them to the outbound sections. This is why you pay more form irregular packages or oversize items. Tires, exposed metal such as mufflers, long tubes that can't make the bends on the conveyor system are examples.

4. Jackasses. Sometimes there are just crappy employees that don't take care of the packages that they are paid to handle.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
On 12/23/2016 at 10:45 PM, Wingshooter said:

Right now, we've got UPS damage and FedEx missing :-\

Just waiting on the USPS to deliver the trifecta

Since we moved out into the sticks, we've learned the hard way that we can't mail or count on receiving important things like bills. Our mailman is a nice enough fellow, and our neighbor, but I don't know if it is him in specific or that post office location as a whole, I just know our mail service put here is super unreliable. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...