BERSA Thunder .380

DAdams

10 years ago I bought a BERSA Thunder .380. It was my first semi-auto. Early on I shot it quite a bit. Lately not so much. It's relegated to SUV truck gun status in a small essentials bag. Decided to take it to the range earlier in the week. Shoot up the 5 mags of ammo, clean it up and reload with fresh. I had forgotten what a joy it is to shoot and how well I shoot it. It went through 40 rounds of JHP without a missed beat. I probably have 800 reliable round through it now.

My Brother in Law brought his stainless Walther PPKs and we both did better with the BERSA and the trigger on the BERSA is "better" than the Walther. What a great gun.

P1290032-1.jpg

• Like 6

The Bersa Thunder .380 with the Satin Nickel finish was the 1st gun I bought after I got my carry permit in '13. 

One of the guys at the range had one and was nice enough to let me shoot a magazine of it. Loved the way it looked and felt that I got one.

But, when I got it the store was out of .380 and a lot of other stores to. And when I did found some it was about as high as .40 and I'm talking about target ammo here.

After a few months I decided for something else and traded it in, unfired, for my LCR.

I've been thinking of buying another but, the price of ammo keeps me from doing so.

I have 2 Bersa's and love them. I have 1 Thunder and 1 model 85. I was fortunate that I bought mine before the 380 ammo became part of the gold market and I was able to get a very good supply of it and now have it all locked up in an ammo safe. I go to the range about 1 time a month and empty both magazines that are in them and put fresh rounds back in after cleaning......................:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, 'twas the wife's first SA and we both loved it. But she wanted something smaller for CC, so we sold it to a gal friend who continues the love.
I often CC a Thunder 9 UC Pro, another rock-solid Bersa offering (just wish it weighed less).

My Series 95 which is basically the first year of the thunder without the thunder name stays at my side daily. It's not my carry weapon of choice anymore but it stays on in the first grab location. Shoots wonderfully and accurate from the first day i bought it new over 20 years ago.

I bought my fourth Bersa .380, the Burnt Bronze model, a few days ago.  I've found them to be extremely reliable.  Many of the problems owners have shared on the Bersa Chat board are ammo related--relatively few can be blamed on the gun itself.  A lifetime service agreement is extended to all original owners.  After shooting trials, this pistol will be strapped to my hip regularly for EDC.

Bersa BB.jpg

Edited by gun sane
  • Like 2
  • 4 months later...

I like my Bersa Thunder .380  Shoots fantastic and with the fixed barrel it is easy to keep on target.  My main carry gun is a 9mm Shield but the Bersa is always close by.  For the money you can't beat it. 

I went looking for a Bersa Combat Thunder Plus .380.  I found a Thunder with pink Crimson Trace grips and figured my wife would like it.  Next to it was a Thunder Combat but not the plus.  I bought them both.  I went home and shot them quite a bit and loved them. Very accurate, smooth triggers and functioned without flaws. A week later an ad popped up on Armslist for two Bersa Thunders, one new in box and the other shot very little with Bianchi holsters at a very good price. I bought them too.  I now have 4 Bersa Thunders, love all of them, and am still looking for a Thunder Plus in .380 and will probably end up buying a Thunder in .22 as well.  I have been very impressed with the weapon and the price point is a bonus.

I'm looking at buying a Bersa Thunder Plus soon. Not a need but just a want.  I like the idea of the 15 round magazine verses the 8 round. I guess my model 85 spoiled me. I will keep my Thunder 8 round for ever since it was my first gun I bought after getting my CCW permit and I carried it a long time and still do depending on where I might be going. I can't say nothing bad about Bersa's..............jmho

• Like 2
1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

I'm looking at buying a Bersa Thunder Plus soon. Not a need but just a want.  I like the idea of the 15 round magazine verses the 8 round. I guess my model 85 spoiled me. I will keep my Thunder 8 round for ever since it was my first gun I bought after getting my CCW permit and I carried it a long time and still do depending on where I might be going. I can't say nothing bad about Bersa's..............jmho

I had one, it's a great little pistol.

The additional grip thickness due to the double stack doesn't make it harder to conceal and gives it a good feel in the hand. Low round count with no malfunctions.

I traded it off due to being cheap - .380 was $18+ box when I had it and spare mags were not available.

With .380 coming down, wouldn't mind having another. I think I found it on sale for $349 when I bought it.

I have no, real need for another .380 pistol but the factory 'CC' model has always kind of called to me.  I don't even know if they are still making the CC model.  It was a factory 'dehorned and melted' version of the regular .380 that was designed for easier and more comfortable pocket carry.  I never fired one - or any Bersa to my recollection - but I held a new one at Gunny's in Maryville, once and it felt really good in my hand.  Bigger and heavier than my P3AT that I have had for years, though.  That combat plus sounds interesting, too and looks pretty good as well.

I actually like the .380 round.  In addition to the P3AT I have a FEG SMC .380 (Walther clone) that my mom bought at a gun show.  She gave it to me because every time she shot it she got the infamous 'Walther bite' on her hand.  For some reason, although my hands are bigger, I have never had that problem with the pistol.  I like it specifically because, while it is still relatively small and light, it is larger and heavier than my P3AT which makes it much easier to shoot.  The problem is that I only have one magazine for it and magazines - when you can find them in stock somewhere - are expensive.  If a part were to break it would pretty much become a paperweight as replacement parts would likely be hard to find.  I have thought about one of the Bersa models specifically because I like the FEG so well and, also being (basically) a Walther clone I figure a Bersa would give me something similar, still at a fairly low cost, but for which it would be much easier to find mags and to have repaired, if needed.

Edited by JAB
8 hours ago, JAB said:

I have no, real need for another .380 pistol but the factory 'CC' model has always kind of called to me.  I don't even know if they are still making the CC model.  It was a factory 'dehorned and melted' version of the regular .380 that was designed for easier and more comfortable pocket carry.  I never fired one - or any Bersa to my recollection - but I held a new one at Gunny's in Maryville, once and it felt really good in my hand.  Bigger and heavier than my P3AT that I have had for years, though.  That combat plus sounds interesting, too and looks pretty good as well.

I actually like the .380 round.  In addition to the P3AT I have a FEG SMC .380 (Walther clone) that my mom bought at a gun show.  She gave it to me because every time she shot it she got the infamous 'Walther bite' on her hand.  For some reason, although my hands are bigger, I have never had that problem with the pistol.  I like it specifically because, while it is still relatively small and light, it is larger and heavier than my P3AT which makes it much easier to shoot.  The problem is that I only have one magazine for it and magazines - when you can find them in stock somewhere - are expensive.  If a part were to break it would pretty much become a paperweight as replacement parts would likely be hard to find.  I have thought about one of the Bersa models specifically because I like the FEG so well and, also being (basically) a Walther clone I figure a Bersa would give me something similar, still at a fairly low cost, but for which it would be much easier to find mags and to have repaired, if needed.

I just went and looked at Buds and they have 2 on the first page of the Bersa section. Blue is $270.00 and Nickel is $313.00 so I guess they are still making the CC's.

• Like 1