Help me decide my new handgun!

reed1285

So I am in the market for a new handgun. I have my mind set on either a CZ P07, a CZ 75B compact, or a Glock 19.

Many will cringe when I say this, but I have never owned a Glock. I have always personally thought them to be uglier than sin, and am not real crazy about the way they feel in my hand. I am finally willing to give them a try however, with the G19.

The only CZ I have ever owned is my Scorpion. So the 75B and the P07 would be new to me as well.

I have thoroughly fondled all three, and like the way the 75B feels in my hand the best, then the P07, and lastly the Glock. This makes sense because CZ handguns have a good reputation for being comfortable in the hand.

I am interested to hear your guys' input....which would you choose out of the three. Why? TIA for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do end up with a Glock, try to find an older Gen3 or Gen2 with machined tool steel small parts, rather than MIM parts. I have noticed in my own limited sample size that MIM parts have extraction problems with steel cased ammo. Never a problem with quality brass or nickel plated ammo.

That and I just like the idea of old school machining over MIM :) 

As always, YMMV

Also, have you checked out a G43?

Edited by Glock30

75.  Or SP01.  

Is this for carry or range fun?  Carry... sure, 19.   For range fun I am pretty much only buying steel/aluminum frame guns from now on.  Plastic fantastic strikers for carry and defense... metal single actions for fun.  I have a Tangfolio remake of a CZ75 in 10MM and it's plain awesome, my most recent purchaze is a Beretta M9A1 and it is GREAT!  An SP01 is next, I believe.

About 18 months ago I had a similar decision to make between a CZ75 compact or a Kahr K40 black stainless.  The Kahr won out. Since its primary roll was a CCW, the K40 edged out the CZ in weight and size plus a tad more slide panel to grab with a short smoother trigger. The feel of the CZ was very temping tho.  Like you, im not a fan of the Glock looks. And the tiny frame nubs that guide the slide is just not my idea of a heavy duty design. A part time cop friend of mine once asked me about the metal filings he was finding on both his Glocks slide rails & frame.  I urged him to mail one back to Glock. They said it was normal wear. They may be good guns but I'll stick with old world full rail contact autos. Good luck with what ever you decide on.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, reed1285 said:

It would be MOSTLY a range gun. Maybe some carry here and there. My main carry is an XDS 45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CZ75. For range use, large, steel frame for recoil mitigation. Good grips for easy and comfortable hold. Both combine to make a long shooting session much more comfortable.

I own both Glocks and CZs. I find my Glocks sitting home more and more these days. Too many other pistols that are more fun to shoot and look better.

Not dissing the Glocks. I still have one for carry and one for home hideyout gun. But in the interests of total truth, my carry Glock has taken a back seat to a Shield.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, hipower said:

Not dissing the Glocks. I still have one for carry and one for home hideyout gun. But in the interests of total truth, my carry Glock has taken a back seat to a Shield.

This warms my heart, haha! My EDC is a Performance Center Shield 9.  I even enjoy it at the range as well, but the low mag capacity makes it tedious to shoot a lot.

Go CZ!  What's funny is, I don't even have a real CZ yet, but have a spinoff and have shot so many others' that I really am a fan.  

• Like 1

I have a CZ 75B matte stainless, 85B, 75B compact and a Canik (Tristar) C-100.

The C-100 is a clone of the CZ75B compact and has become my carry and range pistol.

The CZ's are very good pistols in my opinion if they fit you and feel good to you.

The CZ's have a good amount of support these days.

Edited by DWARREN123
  • Like 1

I have bought and sold several guns this year trying to find my "perfect" pistol. The first gun I ever purchased was in December 2015. My carry is an XDS-45, my range gun is a CZ 75 BD, and my home defense is a Sig P320C 45 ACP. I love the Sig trigger but the CZ feels great in my hand and it is extremely accurate for me to shoot. I vote for the CZ for range and/or target shooting. Some minor upgrades from Cajun Gun Works can make the CZ trigger very pleasant to shoot.

• Like 1

If you have more money than cents, then get all three, maybe not at once or over time.  I find that when I narrow my decision down to say 2 models, I usually end up buying both.  Then since I don't trade or sell, I end up with a collection over time.  But I do accomplish the one thing, the decision factor is no longer a factor.

If you have more cents (sense) than money, then what you are doing is correct, asking people for their input, but you will always have that thought later, I wonder about the other gun. 

• Like 3
  • Moderators
I won't own a Glock because it's the "trendy" thing to do. I like the CZ choices. 

Go against the flow.

See, here I was this whole time thinking that the "trendy" thing to do was to own something exotic, expensive, and flashy. Those that prefer simplicity, reliability, and the holy grail of value buy a Glock.
  • Like 6

If you want boring and utter reliability, buy a Glock.  I loved the CZ75B that I had too.  Very accurate, but the safety was just a bit out of my reach and it was heavy and too large for a 9mm. So I no longer own it.  My favorite carry piece is now a Springfield XDs .45acp and a Keltec P32.

If you want a dual-purpose, range and EDC gun, look at a 75D PCR. It's the alloy-framed, non-railed compact from CZ. (similar to a P01, but without rail). If you want a rail, go P01. Accuracy is every bit as good as a full-size 75, but is a bit handier to move around while having the same ergonomics of your traditional 75.

As far as accuracy, my RAMI is on-par with the compact and full-size version (though a bit snappier of course). Also, there's a healthy after-market for CZ's.

Just be aware that it will further your CZ-fever. It starts with one, and before you know it, you got more CZ's. :)

My CZ stable: 75B matte stainless, threaded barrel, 2075B (safety), 75D PCR, Scorpion Evo, 805 Bren, vz.58)

• Like 1

Go to a range that rents and shoot them both.  Its amazing how much you can like something more, or less, after 50 rounds down the pipe.

I have both.  The CZ75 is my favorite shooter.  The G19 is accurate and reliable, but I've got over 35000 rounds through my CZ.  That should show my preference.

Again, shoot both before plunking down your money.

• Like 1

I have a Jericho Compact (Baby Eagle) that is based on the CZ platform. It is a great range gun and I can't say anything against it for that purpose. It is accurate, reliable and soaks up 9mm recoil like a sponge.

My G19 is my favorite carry. Hands down, there is nothing I trust more. It is light, accurate and reliable. It eats anything and never complains.

I have several handguns, but honestly I have been thinking lately of thinning the herd to all Glock, or similar operation. It is not impossible to 'train' muscle memory to disable safeties, load in different manners, etc, but the older I get it just seems to make the most sense to me to have no manual safety 9mm Glock magazine fed handguns. As it is now I will only buy slide mounted manual safety equipped guns for this reason. I don't want to remember ten different order of operations for twenty different guns and then have to remember which one I am using at the time.

If I primarily carried or trained with a frame, or slide mounted safety gun, then I would stay with that operation factor. As it is, I do most of my pistol shooting with a Glock.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, reed1285 said:

i was looking at the PCR last night. I dont really want or need a rail, so it may be a top contender.

Then it would be a good choice. Just be aware that the PCR's are in high demand and harder to come by than other CZ's (with exception of the unicorn-like 2075BD).

34 minutes ago, 1gewehr said:

Go to a range that rents and shoot them both.  Its amazing how much you can like something more, or less, after 50 rounds down the pipe.

^^ Sound advice. 

If you were in MidTN, I'd let you shoot my PCR. Maybe there's someone on your area that has one. Or maybe you're lucky and a gun shop has one tucked away. Or, just get one and post it up in the classified if you're not satisfied. PCR's are easy to sell. If no one here wants one, post it on the CZ forums and you'll have your PCR sold 5 minutes later. :)

I have both.  The CZ75 is my favorite shooter.  The G19 is accurate and reliable, but I've got over 35000 rounds through my CZ.  That should show my preference.
Again, shoot both before plunking down your money.

I have to ask how long did it take you to get 35k rounds fired?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have a Jericho Compact (Baby Eagle) that is based on the CZ platform. It is a great range gun and I can't say anything against it for that purpose. It is accurate, reliable and soaks up 9mm recoil like a sponge.
My G19 is my favorite carry. Hands down, there is nothing I trust more. It is light, accurate and reliable. It eats anything and never complains.
I have several handguns, but honestly I have been thinking lately of thinning the herd to all Glock, or similar operation. It is not impossible to 'train' muscle memory to disable safeties, load in different manners, etc, but the older I get it just seems to make the most sense to me to have no manual safety 9mm Glock magazine fed handguns. As it is now I will only buy slide mounted manual safety equipped guns for this reason. I don't want to remember ten different order of operations for twenty different guns and then have to remember which one I am using at the time.
If I primarily carried or trained with a frame, or slide mounted safety gun, then I would stay with that operation factor. As it is, I do most of my pistol shooting with a Glock.

I have to agree with that line of thinking. I plan to sell my xds-45 for a Sig P320 in 9 or a 45, if that comes out at the 2017 Shot Show. But I will still keep the CZ just because I think it is an awesome pistol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, reed1285 said:

i was looking at the PCR last night. I dont really want or need a rail, so it may be a top contender.

The use of a light rail might just sneak up on you. I didn't think I would like them, but I got a couple of Glock lights from Steelharp some time ago. I put one on myG19 and found that I like it for use as house gun.

So, if you haven't had a bad experience with one, or just hate railed frames; don't rule it out immediately.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, musicman said:

This warms my heart, haha! My EDC is a Performance Center Shield 9.  I even enjoy it at the range as well, but the low mag capacity makes it tedious to shoot a lot.

I agree about the mag capacity. It's a real pain. Now for the buzzkill...I'm finding that my full size and compact M&P 9s don't get shot much anymore. :shrug: