Making a Leather Sheath

Hey guys,

I know a lot of you make your own sheaths for your bigger knives, but I got a Kabar Eskabar BK-14 from a Coworker for Christmas. I know one of the biggest complaints with the BK11 and BK14 are that the sheaths they come with dull the blade VERY quickly. I was looking at just buying another sheath, but I'm toying with the idea of making my own Leather one. I was curious as to how complicated it is, and how you guys learned to make your own. I appreciate any help

• Like 1

04b80f464a3b488c25e8a9a5f62dea88.jpg

I'd really like something like this but I understand that's probably a little more complex, and I don't think they sell that one anymore. At the very least, I'd like something that mounts to a belt horizontally, holds the knife pretty firm, and looks nice.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Wilson002s said:

04b80f464a3b488c25e8a9a5f62dea88.jpg

I'd really like something like this but I understand that's probably a little more complex, and I don't think they sell that one anymore. At the very least, I'd like something that mounts to a belt horizontally, holds the knife pretty firm, and looks nice.

That's actually about the most simple sheath I've ever seen.

I make holsters for myself, it isn't that hard. I use a vacuum sealer to mold the leather after washing. 

If you wash the leather in hot water using a good dish soap the leather will stiffen up. I just made a holster that is as thin and as stiff as kydex.

I hand stitch all of mine and they take a few hours to finish stitching. Total time is under four hours. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Wilson002s said:

Also, where do you guys get your leather? I tried Hobby Lobby on lunch today to no avail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tandy Leather in Nashville has everything you could need or want. The employees there are also usually very helpful and knowledgeable, although a few of them are a bit odd.

Edited by gregintenn