Side chargers

RC3

I decided to build a side charging rifle a month ago, and the built came together quite nicely.  Aside from having the bolt always exposed, has anyone have any complaints out of side chargers?  I seems like a great platform and I cant wait to get some range time with it.  I would upload a photo, but its too big.

11 hours ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

AKs have their bolts exposed, doesn't seem to bother them too much.

Thats why I got it. The ak was designed with this feature in mind, and I do like the simplicity out it. And its a HUGE plus to be able to reload and keep sights on target at all times.

On 12/29/2016 at 7:40 PM, RC3 said:

Thats why I got it. The ak was designed with this feature in mind, and I do like the simplicity out it. And its a HUGE plus to be able to reload and keep sights on target at all times.

I'm confused.  How does it affect a reload?  You don't use the bolt button?

On December 31, 2016 at 7:33 PM, gomer pyle said:

I would like to see pics of some side chargers. I've been looking at them a lot lately and think I'll probably try one when the funds allow it. I think I like the reciprocating ones better. 

reciprocating on the AR means it can't be field stripped without removing the handle. Also, the old side Chargers were a drill and tap affair into the bolt carrier.  Maybe a typo on your part, but non-reciprocating is the way to go. 

2 hours ago, zybysco said:

I'm confused.  How does it affect a reload?  You don't use the bolt button?

It works just like a normal charging handle, just relocated. Actually, with it I can hold and lock back the bolt with same hand. The main advantage is not having to break sight picture or shoulder/cheek weld to operate.

8 minutes ago, gomer pyle said:

What brand upper?

Oddly enough, its a PSA upper. Saw it for the first time in YEARS of buying from them. Grabbed it as soon as I saw it and a few hours later, poof, go, cant even find any trace of it in their website.

Edited by RC3
24 minutes ago, RC3 said:

Oddly enough, its a PSA upper. Saw it for the first time in YEARS of buying from them. Grabbed it as soon as I saw it and a few hours later, poof, go, cant even find any trace of it in their website.

Here's only one a search found, in stock even:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-223-wylde-midlength-1-7-side-charger-13-5-mlok-upper-w-bcg-ch.html

- OS