Mountain Lions in TN

I quote "At one point we were asking people to shoot these panthers, but we stopped that because there were a couple big house cats being shot."

Hahaha.

On a serious note, I have never seen any type of "cat" other than a bobcat. As much time as I spend in the woods, I probably would have seen one by now. I still find it hard to believe the people who say there are mountain lions in TN.
a30a62d571b69d3659561e31e2529039.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, conn_air7 said:

I still find it hard to believe the people who say there are mountain lions in TN.

TWRA says it. They have some confirmed sightings in that link I posted above.

Not Tennessee, but check this out. 14 Wolves moved from Canada to Yellowstone. Pretty interesting.

• Like 1

Not Tennessee, but check this out. 14 Wolves moved from Canada to Yellowstone. Pretty interesting.

Well I guess if you are going to believe someone on that subject it should be TWRA. Cool video!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found some feline scat on my property about an hour west of Nashville that looked to be way too big for a bobcat. This was probably 20 - 30 miles from where one of the the trail cam shots was taken. I can't say for sure it was a mountain lion but if it was from a bobcat I really feel sorry for him... couldn't have been easy to pass something that big. (size of big dog scat but shaped like feline scat). I've talked w/ the TWRA folks and they confirm that they are in the area but don't have sufficient data to determine if there's a breeding population or not.

• Like 1
On 1/2/2017 at 1:39 PM, DaveTN said:

Fascinating hypothesis but I have a hard time believing that the wolves caused all of the positive changes by themselves. 

• 1 month later...

I worked as a fisheries biologist for TVA.  In the early 1980's, myself and three other fisheries biologists were riding down the "Trace" in LBL right at dark.  Right at the TN/KY state line we had a charcoal big cat cross the Trace in about two bounds in front of the vehicle and was observed in our headlights.  It was definitely a cougar.  It had a long tail and was definitely not a house cat or bobcat. At that time LBL was under TVA control.  We stopped by the headquarters and told the LBL wildlife biologists what we saw.  They said they had multiple reports of sightings of this cat in this area by campers, etc. but we were the first biologists to see it.

Had friends that live in Cannon County on a farm.  Their grown daughter was crossing a high grass field and came face-to-face with a cougar.  Fortunately, she ran one way and the cougar went the other way.  The cougar was seen in the valley where they lived for about a week.  This was about 25 years ago.  The farmers that raised sheep had a constant battle with coyotes.  From the time the cougar showed up until it was no longer seen not one coyote was seen or heard in the valley.  When the cougar moved on, the coyotes returned.  Not one sheep was lost that week the cougar was there.