New Colt D/A Revolvers 2017

runco

I cannot confirm, but a lot of hub bub on other forums (AR15, Colt, etc) that Colt will introduce new Colt D/A Revolvers in 2017.  On Colt's Facebook page, there is a teaser of a new production line going in, with the caption:  "....something going on here, but what".  

I should say I am not a wheel guy at least not yet, but this just might cause me to buy one in 2017. 

You stoked, or is this just meah?

If Colt actually is going to start producing DA revolvers again it's probably because they want to cash in based on the ridiculous prices their old snake guns now command.  

S&W has done the same with their "classic" line that I do not approve of.

Regardless, Colt does not rev my engine. Never has.  I am an Smith and Wesson man.

• Like 4

If they are done WELL it will be super cool.  I would imagine they will be quite pricey.  

I am a Smith man as well, but deep down in my heart of hearts, if I had the oodles of cash on hand required to buy them I'd own a whole pile of snakes, too.  I just can't sink $3k into ONE handgun right now.  I still kick myself for not buying a sweet Detective Special for $375 back in 2005.  I had only bought my first gun a few months prior, and I didn't even know what I was passing up.  The 2" Smith model 64 I ended up buying was $50 less, so I went with that.  I still have it and love it, but I shoulda' bought the Colt!

I have seen it in several articles over the last few years that the reason Colt doesn't make DA revolvers anymore is because they don't even own the machinery the old ones were made on anymore and the hand fitting craftsmen have all retired. If they do make they again, they will not be the same. CNC machining can't match hand fitting. To get old school quality, you have to use old school methods.  

If they make them it won't affect the original snake guns at all.

• Like 2

I think nightrunner is exactly right...

... If they make them it won't affect the original snake guns at all. ...

This one will be interestin to watch... As much as folks (...me included...) like colts (...single and double actions...), they are a "dated" design... The colt wheel guns died because of the hand fitting problem... Too labor intensive... They can CNC lots of stuff, but it takes time to develop... I'm watchin with interest...

watchin leroy...

Colt must have made the gun media swear to not release anything until Jan 1.  Found this liked by the "official" Colt facebook page, its one of the 1st media releases about the new Colt Cobra:

http://rangehot.com/new-colt-cobra-38-special-revolver/

Well, it would appear the prayers of Colt enthusiasts have been answered. It was Colt Media Day at Gunsite when the specs were released to a select group of members of the gun media. I was fortunate enough to be in the room and I was not the only person there with my mouth wide open is disbelief and excitement.  We were allowed plenty of time to examine the new Colt revolver up close then proceeded to the range for live fire.

Colt-Cobra_-14.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize=30

Once I made it to the range, I decided to put enough time in on the new revolver in order to give a review on that gun. Allison and I both ran a dozen or so cylinders of Double Tap 148gr .38 Special wad cutter ammunition through the Colt Cobra as well as talking and filming others that were also spending a lot of time with the little revolver. Though similar to the original Cobra, there are some improvements made to update the design.

Colt-Cobra_-9.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize=300 Colt-Cobra_-8.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize=300Colt-Cobra_-7.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize=300

My friends Max and Kevin from Colt and Major Ed from Folds of Honor wringing out the new Colt Cobra.

Colt-Cobra_-12.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize=30

Paul from Colt, who is as good as an instructor as he is shooter.

Colt-Cobra_.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize=300%2

The major improvements over the original Cobra are an enhanced leaf mainspring, making the hammer throw smooth and even. A user changeable front sight with choices of a a brass bead, night sight, and a fiber optic. By simply removing a set screw at the muzzle, and pulling the front sight straight up it is an easy swap.

Colt-Cobra_-3.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize=300 Colt-Cobra_-2.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize=300

Enhanced trigger guard, being larger for more room inside while the location changed to avoid getting your fingers hammered between the guard and stocks during live fire. The trigger broke at eight pounds in double action and two pounds in single action. The trigger is very reminiscent of the original smooth Colt revolver triggers, and should satisfy even the most scrupulous Colt revolver fan.

Colt-Cobra_-6.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize=300 Colt-Cobra-MZ-7.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize=3

Low profile hammer to reduce the chance of a snag and factory installed Houge overmolded rubber stocks for added comfort when shooting +P .38 Special

Colt-Cobra-MZ-8.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize=2

It was no problem at all keeping six rounds in a six inch circle from twenty five feet, with double or single action. Being a revolver there were no reliability options through four different examples and hundreds of Double Tap rounds. When the revolver was introduced it was hinted this design could easily be scaled up to larger revolvers, so take that for what you will but I have all idea Colt is entering back into the revolver game with quality models that do the Colt lineage proud. I am confident this little Colt will serve well as a defensive revolver and I look forward to seeing what else Colt has in store for the future.

Estimated MSRP will be $699

Edited by runco
1 hour ago, nightrunner said:

Saw this posted on the official Colt Instagram account.

Maybe it's just me but this seems an awful lot like the S&Ws with an IL. Does it's job, but no soul like the old models.

Yeah when I look at these pics I don't see a Colt revolver. Instead I see a Rock Island revolver.

Refresh my memory. Didn’t Colt pull all their handguns (except the 1911) years ago because they didn’t want to sell to the civilian market?

A Python would be a good idea, but as others have said I question it would be what it once was. Worth a try though.

A $700 Cobra selling against the J-frame line? I doubt that will go over well for them.

Buy hey, good luck to any American manufacturer that makes guns here.

@DaveTN I believe so but that was under different management. 

The cobra is a 6 shot, so they have that going for them.

The snake guns met their demise because of the extensiveness of hand fitting required for the design. 

I have no doubt these will be solid guns of slightly above average quality, similar to their 1911s. But they will never match the quality of the 50s era Python. Same as a current production S&W 27 will never match the quality of a Registered Magnum.

Glad they are back in the game and will be interested in one, if the price is right.  I've never seen a S&W that could compare to a Colt when it came to the trigger.  Carried a little Colt Agent for years. Then decided that I need to upgrade to the new generation of autos.  Miss that little revolver.  This may get me back into the wheel gun game again.

I'm not holding out great hope that this will get me spending wheel gun dollars over S&W or Ruger anytime soon. 

FortKnox mentioned rock island revolvers.  Ihate to say it, but they look more like a Colt than this Colt does IMO.

I'll reserve final judgment until I at least dry fire one a few times, but so far this is disappointing, and it could have been the best thing since sliced cake. 

• Like 1
On 1/1/2017 at 4:52 PM, Moped said:

Glad they are back in the game and will be interested in one, if the price is right.  I've never seen a S&W that could compare to a Colt when it came to the trigger.  Carried a little Colt Agent for years. Then decided that I need to upgrade to the new generation of autos.  Miss that little revolver.  This may get me back into the wheel gun game again.

I only have one Colt - a Police Positive from near the end of the run, 1976 manufacture iirc based on the serial number.  It was my first 'serious' handgun that some friends sold me at 'buddy price' because I lived in tha' hood at the time and my only handgun was a Titan .25acp.  (I didn't ask them to sell it - they found out what my HD handgun was and offered it to me.)  It has probably the smoothest trigger of almost any revolver I have ever fired.  Smoother than most semiautos, too.  In fact, the only trigger I have pulled that felt better was on a S&W 'Performance Center' model that my favorite LGS owner handed me one day (he had gotten it used on a trade) and said, "You have got to feel the trigger pull on this thing."

That said, with my 642 I'm 'good' on snubnosed .38 Special revolvers.  Still, it is kind of nice that Colt is tossing their hat back in the ring although I think they might have a bit of a reality check if the price mentioned in an earlier post is anywhere near the actual street price. 

Edited by JAB

J frame variants hover around $400.  I have no reason to believe that a 6 round Colt wouldn't be a $500+ street price offering for the first year or so, then maybe falling a smidge to mid $400s.  $300 guns are Taurus territory, and I sure hope Colt isn't trying to go there.  

As I see more about this gun, I'm disappointed.  The J frame has the quality carry revolver market locked down, imho.  Kimber tried to break in with the K6, but has anyone actually seen/shot/gotten one?  I haven't, and I haven't met anyone who has yet, either.

I figured they would be aiming at the Python , Cobra, and Anaconda market, where they could theoretically get over $1k/pop pretty easily, not slugging it out in the competitive concealed carry market.

Now before someone starts with the "they have to protect the collector's market for the old guns" nonsense... NO THEY DON'T!  When some rich bloke pays $5k to some other rich bloke for his 20 year old pistol, NONE of that goes to Colt.  It's ALL secondary market.  Prestige doesn't pay the bills until you attach it to a newly produced good sold to the public.  Could they POTENTIALLY hurt the value of the old guns by flooding the market with poorly executed remakes?  I would say that's a possibility, but not likely.

Gibson has made some absolute crap guitars in recent history.  That doesn't change the fact that Carter's Vintage Guitars sold the first burst for $625,000 recently.  In fact, it may he argued that tye perceived lack of quality in recent Gibsons has ADDED to the value of the older models.

• Like 1